BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
gbarry42 said:
If someone in that car had an Android phone, we could track them using Latitude.

TRACK ME HERE

Like I said, "no joy" at Blink in downtown LA, but they do have lots of them. They are on the east side of the small lot.

Next stop is Camarillo, where I'll charge up for the final assault to Solvang. Steak dinner is waiting me in Camarillo, so time to unplug and get going.

Tony, your ability to squeeze a mile out of a kWh amazes me. You made it through Downtown LA and out to Malibu on a full charge, then spent only about an hour or so charging there before making it to Camarillo? Are you pulling the coulombs out of the coastal mist or what? I'd have been freaked after missing the LA quick charge.

EDIT: I just mapped it and it's about 87 miles, so that's about right, but you had to be pretty sure of your route and your charge needs to ensure that you'd make it. Just keep calm and "go slow to go fast", right? ;)

walterbays said:
cwerdna said:
I think this is better...
TonyWilliams said:
I agree! Glad it's up now. I threw together the other map because I couldn't bear to see Tony have only a blank web page when the news media was starting to pay attention to his journey.
I like the "other map". It shows "the future" ... so, THANKS for that walterbays ! :)

Boomer23 said:
EDIT: I just mapped it and it's about 87 miles, so that's about right, but you had to be pretty sure of your route and your charge needs to ensure that you'd make it. Just keep calm and "go slow to go fast", right? ;)

Yes, it was easy, and I didn't really even think much about that leg until I arrived at my dinner date location with no 240v. So, I called a PlugShare participant, and he was happy to have me, but then
KeiJidosha called me to save the day with an Avcon adapter for the Camarillo Outlet mall. I arrived there with a bit past VLB, maybe 6% battery left on the fancy new Gidmeter (thanks again, Gary).

We left the car charging, had dinner, came back with about 65%. That won't take me the 88 miles up hill to Solvang. I put the flashing LED arrows on the back of the LEAF, and got underway at 45mph. I'm at the Ramada Inn in Goleta/Santa Barbara with a Blink EVSE getting me ready for the final leg of the day. I'll be sleeping in... phone turned off !!!!

22 miles to go, 2:38 am.

Edit: made it easy, even with 2000 foot climb. I think i had 10% battery capacity left. One strange thing; no overnight parking at the charge station, and the Solvang police are very aggressive to tow, according to hotel night manager. I locked the EVSE to the car, so they'll have to break something to tow it. I also took out most valuable things, but forgot to get my passports.

4:48 am, off to sleep.

Tony,
It is wonderful to "live" this trip through you. Thanks for all your
extra effort to keep us "with you", almost hour by hour.

Several of us would have loved to make it a BC2BC Caravan, but the
charging infrastructure just barely (not quite) supports your GREAT effort.

Hopefully the future will include e-fueling stations that will
support a caravan of at least four EVs!

Your daughter is a jewel, please keep you both safe, and enjoy
this record-making journey together.
Maybe she can learn to be your Navigator?

The little bear's last name is Able, and his middle name is Lee.
Thus, he is Bear Lee Able (but happy) to join you on your trip.

If you put him on each charger when you take a picture, it will
remind us all that you were Bear Lee Able to get there.

Be safe, you have many wishing you well, and trying to keep
you both safe in our hearts.
Cheers, Gary

If you're headed towards Lompoc, consider leaving on Harris Grade Rd. to avoid Hwy1 for awhile. It's a bit of a climb but will shave some miles and allow lower speeds.

In SLO, my preference would be the 881 Marsh Street Parking garage, rather than Target.
Advantages are a) shade, b) lots of stuff across the street ... and nearby.
Disadvantages: a) $0.75/hour after the first hour. b) less "advertising" for the car tucked away in the structure.

LEAFer,
Rather than SLO, Tony's coming on out to Morro Bay for a fill-up in my garage! That should get him more easily to San Simeon before his assault on the Big Sur coast. They'll get lunch out of the deal if they get here in time. :)

LindaK said:
LEAFer,
Rather than SLO, Tony's coming on out to Morro Bay for a fill-up in my garage! That should get him more easily to San Simeon before his assault on the Big Sur coast. They'll get lunch out of the deal if they get here in time. :)

I suspect with the speed I'm moving this morning, we will be late for lunch!!!

So far, in two days, with 11 charge events, only the last one, a Chargepoint in Solvang, has had any cost. There was a strange thing in Solvang; the site and parking lot is owned by the city, and it's posted "no overnight parking" where the charger is. Hopefully, somebody can get this fixed. I'll try and call the city now.

So far, the charge events are in California. All times approximate:

0.3 hours - San Diego - El Cajon Blvd / 15 freeway [Blink] free
1.0 hours - San Diego - Macy's, Mission Valley Mall [Blink] free
6.0 hours - San Diego - my house, [Blink] free
0.3 hours - Laguna Beach - [Chargepoint] free
0.8 hours - Newport Beach - [Chargepoint] free
0.9 hours - Cypress - Mitsubishi headquarters [Eaton DC] free
0.4 hours - Malibu - [Clipper Creek] free
0.1 hours - Camarillo - [120 volts household plug] free
4.0 hours - Camarillo - Outlet Mall [Avcon with adapter] free
2.0 hours - Santa Barbara / Goleta - Ramada Inn [Blink] free
6.0 hours - Solvang [Chargepoint] $1.25 hour / total $9.03 (tax?)
4+ hours - Morro Bay [AeroVironment private household] free

Boomer23 said:
Tony, be sure to turn your SPOT back on. We're all watching with great anticipation. ...
I noticed the tracking from the first day is gone. I wonder the time span can be changed so that we can keep seeing the whole trip.

Normally, the Spot will timeout after 24 hours and has to be reset to continuously provide a track. Also, the Spot web display normally only shows the last 50 hits (which are every 10 minutes) unless you page back...

davewill said:
Boomer23 said:
Tony, be sure to turn your SPOT back on. We're all watching with great anticipation. ...
I noticed the tracking from the first day is gone. I wonder the time span can be changed so that we can keep seeing the whole trip.

My car is charging at Linda's house in Morro Bay, California, so she drove my daughter Kendal and I to see the sights. Linda's red LEAF looks great at Morro Rock.

c744d147.jpg

Back