Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dm33 said:
I don't understand why not having news about a LEAF battery lease makes you want to lease a Honda FIT instead. Seems unrelated or maybe an overreaction. The Honda FIT is a pure compliance vehicle. You won't be seeing much improvement there nor active marketing etc. They only want to sell the minimum number they have to for CARB. I'd rather support Nissan who (other than Tesla) is the only one making a serious attempt to make and sell EVs.
I also would far prefer to lease the whole car and battery together vs own the car and lease the battery.

mwalsh said:
If it makes you feel any better at all, I was talking to the Electronaut In Chief yesterday, and BMW has been about on par with Nissan when it comes to the Active E.

I thought BMW had at least mentioned a replacement battery price with real numbers in it?

klapauzius said:
mwalsh said:
If it makes you feel any better at all, I was talking to the Electronaut In Chief yesterday, and BMW has been about on par with Nissan when it comes to the Active E.

I thought BMW had at least mentioned a replacement battery price with real numbers in it?
Nope. Also they think that you can "just replace a few modules" to restore capacity. They'll learn... :?

JeremyW said:
Nope. Also they think that you can "just replace a few modules" to restore capacity. They'll learn... :?
To be fair, different things have been told to prospects in Germany. I frequent one of the local forums there, which has been quite enlightening. Below is one of my earlier posts on the topic.

Couple of prospects asked BMW representatives at the IAA in Frankfurt yesterday how much a replacement battery for the i3 might cost, should they need to buy one in the future. Here is the response they have received (corrected machine translation is below):

helmutnn said:
batteryproblemmnl
bmwi3mnl

helmutnn said:

Additionally, both VW and BMW are reportedly going to offer a capacity warranty for their batteries. If true, this is good news. It might not have happened if Nissan did not offer a similar warranty for the LEAF last December. There was some discussion on the German forum why there were such significant differences between the number of kilometers covered by the respective OEMs. The BMW reps seemed concerned about quick charging. Sound familiar?

surfingslovak said:
JeremyW said:
helmutnn said:

Additionally, both VW and BMW are reportedly going to offer a capacity warranty for their batteries. If true, this is good news. It might not have happened if Nissan did not offer a similar warranty for the LEAF last December. There was some discussion on the German forum why there were such significant differences between the number of kilometers covered by the respective OEMs. The BMW reps seemed concerned about quick charging. Sound familiar?

sign me up. why cant nissan do that?

So BMW thinks a new battery for the i3 is 10,000 euros( ~ 13,000$). While that seems steep, at least it is a number! Apparently Nissan thinks its customers are not mature enough to deal with this?

klapauzius said:
So BMW thinks a new battery for the i3 is 10,000 euros( ~ 13,000$). While that seems steep, at least it is a number! Apparently Nissan thinks its customers are not mature enough to deal with this?

How much bigger is the i3 battery, nvm its only 18.8 KW, YEP, 13K surely is steep for that size battery.

Fred

Wennfred said:
klapauzius said:

How much bigger is the i3 battery, nvm its only 18.8 KW, YEP, 13K surely is steep for that size battery.

Fred
22kWh, IIRR 18.8 kWh is usable.

I can't find any mention of this elsewhere on this site: Has anyone attempted to swap their own battery, eg from a wrecked LEAF? The reason I ask is someone here had to get their battery "registered" with a special Nissan SD card after their EVSE was struck by lightning while plugged in. The electronics were damaged in the strike but I'm curious to know what happens if the LEAF identifies a different battery. Years from now when my battery goes I would consider importing my own battery from a wrecked LEAF and doing it myself but want to be sure I can. See here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11605

Hypothetical:

Overnight, someone jacks up my car and steals the traction battery. What would my insurance company do? The replacement part cannot be bought, so will it be totaled? Would a battery from a wreck be used or does the car become an expensive lawn decoration?

Any other possibilities?

91040 said:
Hypothetical:

Overnight, someone jacks up my car and steals the traction battery. What would my insurance company do? The replacement part cannot be bought, so will it be totaled? Would a battery from a wreck be used or does the car become an expensive lawn decoration?

Any other possibilities?

oh let me guess, "Electro" is stealing battery packs to gear up for his assault against Spiderman right?

Ok, then...pretend that the traction battery has been damaged beyond repair by a chunk of metal road debris (as unlikely as that may be) but since it is not a Tesla, does not catch on fire. Nissan is not going to replace it and presently does not sell or lease them. Would the insurance company use a battery from a wreck, total it or...?

91040 said:
Ok, then...pretend that the traction battery has been damaged beyond repair by a chunk of metal road debris (as unlikely as that may be) but since it is not a Tesla, does not catch on fire. Nissan is not going to replace it and presently does not sell or lease them. Would the insurance company use a battery from a wreck, total it or...?

one would have to guess its like any other lease program on any other car... there would be a type of gap insurance as part of the leasing program and an accident might be just the ticket needed to get a new...or a "fuller" battery not that i would do it, but there is little doubt in my mind that someone else will

91040 said:
Who said anything about leasing? The point is how do you get a replacement battery?

nissan is going to have to reverse itself and go back to the time before last june when they were going to offer a battery for sale.
the fact that the company changed its mind is also key to understanding and proving in court the bait-and-switch for buyers: we were sold a car with a part that needs replacement and whose design means it will degrade faster then the car.

nissan cannot win this class action suit. it is coming unless they offer the battery for sale. they could make us wince with a price, but they must offer it for sale.

91040 said:
Who said anything about leasing? The point is how do you get a replacement battery?

who said it was impossible to get a replacement battery "under any circumstances?"

i know it may seem like splitting hairs but there is a lot of difference between "getting one" and "buying one"

91040 said:
Either the battery is made available or the car is totaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back