Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had posted this in another thread of a similar topic, but my 1,200 mile 2013 SV is doing the same exact same thing. Just started last week after we crossed 1,000 miles. Now I'm thinking of waiting until July to take it to the dealer if they don't have a good fix.

For those of you not doing it, it's absolutely worth setting up Carwings and getting the 'charging stopped' and 'charging completed' text message to your phone. Will prevent a surprise in the morning before you head out!

For anyone wondering, here is what my display looks like after the the car fails to fully charge. Notice the yellow/orange car icon symbol with an ! on it. In this case I was able to charge from 68% to 96% tonight on my L2 Aerovironment EVSE. In the last week, I haven't been able to charge to 100% without the car stopping the charge process first.

ROMfIfPl.jpg

I'm sorry that we have to welcome you to the club Bateman. Thank you for posting the dash pic as that is exactly what I saw as well. Today marks the Third Week that my Leaf has been in a back lot of a Nissan Dealership in Las Vegas.

Just an update for those interested. Our Leaf can't seem to charge for more than about five minutes today. Trip to the dealer is set for Monday morning. Service Manager stated they had a 2013 that they can't deliver because it appears to have a charging issue as well!

And to think I waited until 2013 because I wanted the bugs worked out! :lol:

Bateman said:
JAnd to think I waited until 2013 because I wanted the bugs worked out! :lol:
Unfortunately its an all new design. 2011 / 2012 was the Alpha design.
2013 is the Beta. Unfortunately they were real lucky with 2011 / 2012, very few issues with reliability other than a few on the charger.
But the 2013 has a PDM deficiency that appears to need correction on all 2013 LEAFs.

I'll put it out there, hope I don't take back my words, but so far... (knock on wood), my 4 week old 1400 mile 2013 Leaf has not had any problems charging. Hope it stays that way. Charging mostly at L1 overnight. Its been in the low 90s lately, finally sort of normal weather, except very wet.

TimLee said:
Bateman said:
JAnd to think I waited until 2013 because I wanted the bugs worked out! :lol:
Unfortunately its an all new design. 2011 / 2012 was the Alpha design.
2013 is the Beta. Unfortunately they were real lucky with 2011 / 2012, very few issues with reliability other than a few on the charger.
But the 2013 has a PDM deficiency that appears to need correction on all 2013 LEAFs.
The charger in the older cars looks like an off-the-shelf part. It probably just has custom firmware for the LEAF. The new one was probably redesigned from the ground up.

Mine is in the shop now. It started out with issues on a Clipper Creek CS-100 that gradually got to the point where it would not charge for more than 5 minutes. After the first time it quit charging on my LCS-25 on Monday I took it to my local dealer. I was told that the PDM will be in on Tuesday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Mine had to be towed to the dealer from my work as it wouldn't start charging at any of the public chargers. And.. of course.. service people have no clue. I did see the yellow ! mark.

I hate this unreliable pos.

So the last couple of nights, my timer, which is set to end at 6AM, has stopped charging the car around 3AM. It still charged to 79% (set to 80%), and no error lights. Is this part of the same issue? Normally it ends around 5:48AM or so, but the early finishes have me wondering if something else is going on, and if it's maybe related to the PDM issue.

lion said:
So the last couple of nights, my timer, which is set to end at 6AM, has stopped charging the car around 3AM. It still charged to 79% (set to 80%), and no error lights. Is this part of the same issue? Normally it ends around 5:48AM or so, but the early finishes have me wondering if something else is going on, and if it's maybe related to the PDM issue.
I cannot speak for the 2013s, but the 2011/2012s tend to always end before the set time. The lower the SOC when the charging starts, the farther from the target time the charging ends.

Perhaps it is even worse with 6kW charging?

lion said:

That's normal. I sometimes even drive off with 78%. Folks with bad PDM's seem to only get about 5 min of charging before it prematurely stops.

I have 6k on my 2013 and it's one of the early builds, produced in January. So far my PDM's good, which makes me wonder if they had a bad batch or if I'm on borrowed time.

Looking forward to a formal Nissan response.

Phatcat73 said:
lion said:

That's normal. I sometimes even drive off with 78%. Folks with bad PDM's seem to only get about 5 min of charging before it prematurely stops.

I have 6k on my 2013 and it's one of the early builds, produced in January. So far my PDM's good, which makes me wonder if they had a bad batch or if I'm on borrowed time.

Looking forward to a formal Nissan response.
Just curious, what is the sequence number (just the last 3 or 4 numbers will do) on your VIN? I'm wondering what VIN group is affected.

RegGuheert said:
lion said:
I cannot speak for the 2013s, but the 2011/2012s tend to always end before the set time. The lower the SOC when the charging starts, the farther from the target time the charging ends.

Perhaps it is even worse with 6kW charging?
Well the thing is, this used to be pretty accurate (only charging with my level 1 EVSE), but since the failed charge, it hasn't worked properly.

Just got the call from my dealership where they were looking at the car today. Nissan released an updated bulletin TODAY (July 1st) that acknowledges the issue we are seeing. I can confirm that the rumored software update exists and it has been loaded onto my 2013 car. They are going to discharge the battery and charge it tonight to 100% to confirm that the issue is indeed fixed. I'll update everyone tomorrow.

Got my Leaf returned to me this morning and stuck it on the charger an hour ago. No issues... yet...

Will report back tomorrow. If there was any day to test it this would be the day. The temperature was over 115 degrees and the battery temp was 1 bar from being in the red.

LasPaled said:
Got my Leaf returned to me this morning and stuck it on the charger an hour ago. No issues... yet...

Will report back tomorrow. If there was any day to test it this would be the day. The temperature was over 115 degrees and the battery temp was 1 bar from being in the red.
What did they do? Replace the PDM, or just apply the software fix?

davewill said:
What did they do? Replace the PDM, or just apply the software fix?

Great question. They replaced the PDM (part 292C0-3NF8A) and re-did the coolant. Hours of labor 7.5

Codes that popped when there was an issue were:
P316C
P3170
P1371

Back