AutoNation Nissan, "Nissan Does Not Take Leaf as Trade In"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014GunMetalSL said:
VTLeaf said:
The guy you talked with was having a bad day, is a complete tool, or both. And those letters aren't worth the paper they're printed on (from the car-owner's perspective; they're worth their weight in gold to the dealership for each potential customer they get in the door).

I feel like I came out ahead in the deal....I got a level 3 charge while I talked to the sales rep, AND got a $25 Quick Trip gift card. Oddly, they told me they would mail me the gift card...when I asked them to put it in writing that one was coming, they AMAZINGLY found one for me.

I wish we could buy cars from vending machines....no one should ever have to encounter a car salesman again.

Affordable Tesla is coming, and I think that (and the Supercharger network) are going to be prime reasons why Tesla will dominate everything, even if competition releases a more affordable 200 mile EV.

I don't have a Leaf, but my smart car dealer is a little less crappy, but still mediocre for an EV experience. I have emails coming in about my car, but fortunately they're very specific (i.e., they give me the price I could lease a new smart car for while trading in the lease early and including what I still owe left on the original lease). The EV experience is horrible though, as I had to spend nearly 10 minutes talking to the salesman to even consider ordering a new smart EV for me. And now it's a six month wait until that EV is even delivered, assuming it's not delayed again (not sure if this is the dealer or smart USA).

Elephanthead said:
Did you get your $25 in free gas station stuff?

I did get the $25 quick trip gas card. I bought my kids some slurpies and pickled eggs and beef jerky for me and the wife.....fed the whole family and still have $14 left on the card (that's dinner tomorrow night).

fwiw there is a 2012 Leaf SL within a few hours drive of me (just over the border into North Carolina) for sale asking $8,900 that's never been in a hot weather state nor was ever in the rust belt. It has more than 40,000 miles on it but I expect it still has 11 bars and the carfax looks good and pictures of it look pristine.

If a used car lot can afford to sell one for less than $9,000 you have to imagine someone only got $6,000 to $7,000 in trade in / auction value for it.

If you have one that you value more than $9,000 you'll have a hard time getting that much for it with all the lease returns hitting the market now.

dhanson865 said:
fwiw there is a 2012 Leaf SL within a few hours drive of me (just over the border into North Carolina) for sale asking $8,900 that's never been in a hot weather state nor was ever in the rust belt. It has more than 40,000 miles on it but I expect it still has 11 bars and the carfax looks good and pictures of it look pristine.

If a used car lot can afford to sell one for less than $9,000 you have to imagine someone only got $6,000 to $7,000 in trade in / auction value for it.

If you have one that you value more than $9,000 you'll have a hard time getting that much for it with all the lease returns hitting the market now.

Heh - if the lease returns really cause the market to bottom out we may well become a two leaf family :)

dhanson865 said:

I had no intention of selling until I got the letter. Having said that, I'd love to sell it, but if I can't, not a big deal. Some dealers get huge, huge bonus incentives for hitting sales numbers. I've contacted 3 and let them know what I'd like for the trade, and what I'm willing to pay. May work out, most likely will not. One of the local dealerships offered 16,500...just 3k from my number. If I don't get my number, I just continue to drive it and love it. The Georgia tax credit makes the effort $$worth$$ the time ;)

If you shop for a used LEAF, watch out for lease returns flooding the used car lots. I searched online and actually looked at a few 2011s and 2012s after mine was rear ended. By looking at Carfax and/or service records provided by the used car dealers, I was able to see that virtually all of the used LEAFs available in Phoenix in January and February (except for those from private sellers) were missing annual battery tests. Whether those missing tests would be enough to void the battery warranties (8-year/100k original warranty and/or the 5-year/60k capacity warranty) would be up to Nissan. Buyer Beware!

Gerry

Back