AutoNation Nissan, "Nissan Does Not Take Leaf as Trade In"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I got a letter from Auto Nation of Marietta from the sales manager, Dustin Fleishman, that stated my used Leaf was in high demand, and if I brought it by for an appraisal, Nissan would give me a $25 gift card to a local gas station (ironic) even if I did not trade my Leaf for a new car.

Today I brought the letter, my checkbook, and my Leaf in. I printed the KBB "Trade-In" value of the car (22,800), and presented the letter and KBB value to the salesman (very nice guy, Jamie). Jamie took the letter, and returned a minute later and said, "this letter is a mistake, Nissan doesn't take the Leaf in on trade, the used value of a Leaf isn't worth anything".

I wish they had told me this when I purchased the car. It only has 10,500 miles, and knowing that Nissan has a "no Leaf Trade-In" policy is something all potential new Leaf owners should know.

In Georgia they couldn't sell it against a brand new one with tax credits unless they dropped the price. You'd have better success with a national purchaser like CarMax.

forummm said:
In Georgia they couldn't sell it against a brand new one with tax credits unless they dropped the price. You'd have better success with a national purchaser like CarMax.

the salesman didn't mention that the no buy back policy was limited to only Georgia....he said "Nissan" has a policy of not taking them on trade.

Got to love this statement, "the used value of a Leaf isn't worth anything".

I'm giving my LEAF back to AutoNation Nissan in Pembroke Pines. They have no choice but to take it back and I'm not even going to buy a new Nissan from them.

I've been looking at used Leafs in my area a lot lately. For a 2011/2012 model, the going price is around $12,500. Which is great if you are in the market to buy. Not so great for a seller.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How can KBB list a trade in value of 22,800? Are they that clueless?

I agree, it's about $5K overvalued, but it is a loaded 2014 with low mileage, and the KBB price probably isn't taking into consideration that Georgia has some pretty sweet incentives.

2014GunMetalSL said:
forummm said:

the salesman didn't mention that the no buy back policy was limited to only Georgia....he said "Nissan" has a policy of not taking them on trade.

Gee, here I thought all dealers were independent businesses and they make their own decisions with the best interest of the consumer and local little league teams in mind :)

Slow1 said:
2014GunMetalSL said:
forummm said:

Gee, here I thought all dealers were independent businesses and they make their own decisions with the best interest of the consumer and local little league teams in mind :)

LOL!

2014GunMetalSL said:

Life lesson: car salesmen are some of the most outrageous liars in the world. It's a lame excuse to cover up their reluctance to take your trade because it's worth far less than what you owe Nissan.

Nissan does not set the policies of the dealer, because if they did, all of them would have L2 and QC stations and let any Leaf use them at any time without charge. Some dealers are selling used Leafs as well, so obviously it's not a Nissan corporate policy.

A quick Google search shows this article about Nissan adding the Leaf to its Certified Pre-Owned Program: http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-news/215286/nissan-leaf-joining-nissan-certified-pre-owned-program.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonDawg said:
2014GunMetalSL said:

Life lesson: car salesmen are some of the most outrageous liars in the world. It's a lame excuse to cover up their reluctance to take your trade because it's worth far less than what you owe Nissan.

we don't owe anything on it...paid cash. I got the feeling he was angry because I presented him the "we REALLY WANT YOUR NISSAN LEAF" sales flyer they had mailed. I'm fine with them not wanting to buy it back, but it ridiculous to be mailing flyers screaming how much they want your car, and telling you Nissan has a no buy back policy.

The guy you talked with was having a bad day, is a complete tool, or both. And those letters aren't worth the paper they're printed on (from the car-owner's perspective; they're worth their weight in gold to the dealership for each potential customer they get in the door).

It really depends on the dealer. A local Toyota dealer did not want my car and referred me to Carmax. The reality is that our beloved electric cars have not caught on with the public.

GlennD said:
It really depends on the dealer. A local Toyota dealer did not want my car and referred me to Carmax. The reality is that our beloved electric cars have not caught on with the public.
Yup. Although it's rather an odd position for a dealer to take that a used leaf isn't worth buying, certainly there is a price where it makes sense.

VTLeaf said:
The guy you talked with was having a bad day, is a complete tool, or both. And those letters aren't worth the paper they're printed on (from the car-owner's perspective; they're worth their weight in gold to the dealership for each potential customer they get in the door).

I feel like I came out ahead in the deal....I got a level 3 charge while I talked to the sales rep, AND got a $25 Quick Trip gift card. Oddly, they told me they would mail me the gift card...when I asked them to put it in writing that one was coming, they AMAZINGLY found one for me.

I wish we could buy cars from vending machines....no one should ever have to encounter a car salesman again.

Dealer will buy any car off of ya if you buy a new car off the lot. That's what happened to me when I went to just look at the new Kia Soul EV.

And they bought my Leaf '11 for $11,500 SIGHT UNSEEN! Best deal ever on a used Leaf with 2 bars down. They did not even ask me about the range bar status or the mileage on the car, only about the dents.

You looked at this 100-mile car (Kia) and a light bulb went off in my head. The rest, as they say, is history. And I am finally commuting to work (84 miles) on one charge (when the car is available).

2014GunMetalSL said:
RonDawg said:
2014GunMetalSL said:

we don't owe anything on it...paid cash. I got the feeling he was angry because I presented him the "we REALLY WANT YOUR NISSAN LEAF" sales flyer they had mailed. I'm fine with them not wanting to buy it back, but it ridiculous to be mailing flyers screaming how much they want your car, and telling you Nissan has a no buy back policy.

It's a common sales ploy to get you into their showroom so they can browbeat you into buying something. See this article:
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/the-dealership-is-not-really-desperate-for-your-trade-1672210544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I routinely get letters from various LA-area Audi dealers saying there is a "unusually high demand" for cars like mine. Really, that many people are putting themselves on waiting lists for a 9 year old A3 with 120k miles?

2014GunMetalSL said:
I wish we could buy cars from vending machines....no one should ever have to encounter a car salesman again.

Funny you should say that, because guess what is now open in West Midtown: http://www.carvana.com/how-it-works" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pick Up Experience
If you would rather pick up your vehicle than have it delivered, you can visit the Carvana Vending Machine in midtown Atlanta for a completely new experience. Just enter your confirmation code on a keypad, the Vending Machine will open, and you get to drive away with your new car. It's that easy, but for peace of mind Carvana staff will be on-site to assist you if needed.

Back