AutoFlugel: check your charge via a text message

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fooljoe said:
Tried to go to the website and I get this:
Code:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.autoflugel.com.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)
This is with Firefox 3.6.22 on Mac OS 10.6.8. I have a proxy server at work but this seems unrelated to proxy problems. Seems to work fine on my iphone though.

EDIT: It works fine in Chrome so it's not my proxy. Something you did is not compatible with Firefox, for some reason.

Perhaps Firefox Mac. I did fine with FF on WinXP.

Very useful service! I like how it also told me that it is charging. For peace of mind! :D
It's too bad however that it seems to show the state of charge in 12 increments just like Carwings. For example, it tells me it's at 67% charge, when it could be anywhere from 59% to 75%. Does the car only report how many "bars" it has rather than the actual percentage??

matth said:
Hmmm...I sent a status request 10 minutes ago and no reply.
Server hammered from popularity? :lol:

No, I think this was a bug. Can you try again when you get a chance, please?

lincomatic said:
OK, works now, thanks! You should ask people to enter their Nissan Owners Portal login info rather than Carwings.
Done. Some people think of it as carwings, so I just mentioned both.

lincomatic said:
Also, the confirmation code doesn't show up in IE9 (not surprising .. IE9 seems to have problems with lots of websites), but it works OK w/ Chrome.
Fixed, thanks!

fooljoe said:
Tried to go to the website and I get this:
Code:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.autoflugel.com.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)
This is with Firefox 3.6.22 on Mac OS 10.6.8. I have a proxy server at work but this seems unrelated to proxy problems. Seems to work fine on my iphone though.

EDIT: It works fine in Chrome so it's not my proxy. Something you did is not compatible with Firefox, for some reason.

How wacky! I will take a look, though I think there's something specifically weird about FF 3.x on Mac OS -- lots of folks online complaining about this error just with this browser. I'll see what I can do to fix!

Having the foucs already in the email field seems to confuse the Opera (on Wii) browser, until I click another field, then back to the email field.

If I click Register first, that leaves no field with the text cursor showing, so it works OK.

johnr said:
Very useful service! I like how it also told me that it is charging. For peace of mind! :D
It's too bad however that it seems to show the state of charge in 12 increments just like Carwings. For example, it tells me it's at 67% charge, when it could be anywhere from 59% to 75%. Does the car only report how many "bars" it has rather than the actual percentage??

Yeah, the car (well, carwings) reports:

- whether and how it's charging (fast vs trickle)
- number of bars
- connected to a charger or not
- number of meters of range left (estimated) both with AC on and off
- time required to full, seemingly rounded up to the half hour

I think maybe it's possible to use the meters-of-range values to calculate a more precise percentage. I'll take a look.

garygid said:
Having the foucs already in the email field seems to confuse the Opera (on Wii) browser, until I click another field, then back to the email field.

If I click Register first, that leaves no field with the text cursor showing, so it works OK.

Thanks. I'll try this on a Wii, and will see if I can get this reproduced...

haykinson said:
Yeah, the car (well, carwings) reports...
As an aside, wanted to let folks know that the code protocol part of this is something I'm releasing as an open source library -- please see https://github.com/haykinson/pycarwings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not great, but maybe it'll help someone in the future.

Volusiano said:
Beside "status", can you currently text message the other Carwings commands like "Start Charging" or use the Climate Control "On" and "Timer" function? And do you also get the Estimated Driving Distance info with/out AC status back, too? Basically do everything that CarWings does at this point.
I should be able to do whatever a smartphone can do, at the very least. It's definitely the plan to add additional commands.

Volusiano said:
One thing Carwings doesn't do but I would love to be able to do is the "Stop Charging". If you can figure how to do this, I think this can be considered a premium service worth paying for. Once you can figure this out, there's also no stopping you from being able to offer remote timer functionality outside of the Leaf or Blink. You can now build timers to stop charging at any % beside 80%.
I haven't seen any hint of stop-charging functionality in their smartphone API (which is what I'm mimicking) nor in their web portal API, but I'll continue poking around.

My Leaf is plugged in now and started charging at 12.10, as usual. Well, I sent a status text at 12.06 and got a text back at 12.07 saying "plugged in, charging, 25% charged". Went on the owner's portal and saw there that the update had been done at 12.07 and it indicated NOT charging, as it should. Updated through both methods 4 min later and this time they both agree that it is charging. Bug?

downeykp said:
It was very easy to get connected. It will be much easier than having to log in with carwings. Mahalo

It takes me a few secs (two finger pushes) to log in to the owner's portal with the LEAF app. It refreshes in just a few secs, and I have my info. It's faster for me than when I use my comp.

fooljoe said:
My Leaf is plugged in now and started charging at 12.10, as usual. Well, I sent a status text at 12.06 and got a text back at 12.07 saying "plugged in, charging, 25% charged". Went on the owner's portal and saw there that the update had been done at 12.07 and it indicated NOT charging, as it should. Updated through both methods 4 min later and this time they both agree that it is charging. Bug?
Checked this again when I plugged in after work today. Definitely a bug. It seems the status text always says "charging" if the car's plugged in, even if it's not charging due to a timer, and on the nissan portal it correctly says not charging. Can anybody else duplicate this?

fooljoe said:
Checked this again when I plugged in after work today. Definitely a bug. It seems the status text always says "charging" if the car's plugged in, even if it's not charging due to a timer, and on the nissan portal it correctly says not charging. Can anybody else duplicate this?
I'll fix this tonight; I think I just got something backwards in the response.

UPDATE: Should be fixed.

Also, it would be cool if someone who lives within driving distance to an L3 charger can use the status command while fast-charging. This way I can check what the response from the Carwings system looks like...

AutoFlugel now support the keyword "charge".
Use this to start charging if you're attached to a charger.

As usual, please let me know if you run into any bugs.

haykinson said:
UPDATE: Should be fixed.

Also, it would be cool if someone who lives within driving distance to an L3 charger can use the status command while fast-charging. This way I can check what the response from the Carwings system looks like...
Cool, looks like it's working now. I'm just a few miles from the Mitsubishi building in Cypress and their unit, but I haven't tried it out yet. If I ever make it out there I'll definitely try out the status text.

haykinson said:
matth said:
Hmmm...I sent a status request 10 minutes ago and no reply.
Server hammered from popularity? :lol:

Just tried, and I got a response in a few minutes...so your bug is fixed!

matth said:
haykinson said:
Just tried, and I got a response in a few minutes...so your bug is fixed!
Thanks! Hope you find it useful!

I'm designing the next feature right now, which I think will be a "text me if the it's CERTAIN_TIME_IN_GIVEN_TIMEZONE on SELECTED_DAYS_OF_THE_WEEK and the car is at X_BARS_OF_CHARGE_OR_LESS". this way we can have configurable forgot-to-plug-in reminders for people who don't plug in every day. I figure people may have multiple rules, too -- i.e. I may want to make sure I'm never below 9 bars on Mondays and Wednesdays, but other days I mainly care that I'm not at like 5 bars or something.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this approach.

Back