Are you sitting down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why the number of cars in the December roll-out is such a surprise. Any number of commentators, both here and elsewhere, were predicting a 1,000 vehicle roll-out. Given the stated volumes from Nissan, that is about all one would have expected.

I do appreciate the news on the purchase decision and 'booking' process. thanks mwalsh, that was very interesting. I continue to be excited as the dates for release of the Leaf near!

Nubo, I replied to my source asking for clarification on this and the "Request a Quote". I took this to mean that my preferred dealer will be emailing me with their price for the LEAF and the first people who accept this price will get their LEAFs first. If this is the case, I don't like it much. I would want to know what the other dealer in my city is quote people as the price. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

I think when the EV Project people contact me soon, one question I will have is : "If my preferred dealer quotes me a price above MRSP and I don't want to accept this price, am I out of the project with the free charger?"

So this is good additional information.....free L3 on SV (and SL?) for EV Project candidates. A bit unfair on the rest of us (yet again) if it turns out "regular" folks can't get it at all on the SV and it's extra on the SL, but "Oh well". :?

If more news is forthcoming on Tuesday at Plug In 2010...well that would be great.

My source says there is a Nissan dealer conference in Las Vegas next month too, and there will no doubt be more news forthcoming from that. I wish I could remember the date, but I'll ask again and get it for us.

My information on the "Request for Quote" is that it will come directly from Nissan. At that point I don't know what happens, but I do know we're not locked into getting the quote from the dealer we chose as our "preferred" one way back when. In fact, I'm told we can choose any dealer we want at that point. Can we choose to get quotes from multiple dealers....no clue. Wouldn't it be nice if they could bid for our business with their best deal though?

With respect to the CA $5k rebate.....don't forget that you can apply for that in advance of getting your car. You just have to make sure that you submit the paperwork they require (copy of the CA vehicle registration) within (IIRC) 10 days of applying.

mwalsh said:
With respect to the CA $5k rebate.....don't forget that you can apply for that in advance of getting your car. You just have to make sure that you submit the paperwork they require (copy of the CA vehicle registration) within (IIRC) 10 days of applying.

Other cars have links to the application; Nissan not yet. If you want to watch the rebate fund depleting you can follow it here.

I have family in CA and I am in AZ sure would be nice to use there address and get $5,000 off the price of the car. But I can't because I have a FREE charger in AZ

Gonewild said:
I have family in CA and I am in AZ sure would be nice to use there address and get $5,000 off the price of the car. But I can't because I have a FREE charger in AZ
You can't "use there[sic] address". Rules require the car be in CA for 36 months (registered/used).

mxp said:
I have paid my $99 bucks and I have been lead to believe that I should get a Leaf before the years end. My understanding is that there is a set number of people who were allowed the chance to register the $99, and that set number of units is what Nissan manufacturing is committed to by the end of 2010.

Now, if that does not happen, all Nissan is doing is misleading the market and I hope they will pay dearly for the trickery they have been planning for all along.

I really hope all I have assumed above will NOT be the case.

I was NEVER under the assumption that the $99 reservation was any kind of 'set number of people' nor did my $99 get ANY kind of 'commitment' from Nissan to get my car by the end of the year.
:?: :?: :?:

With all the generalities coming out of Nissan and very little specifics, I don't understand how you could get this out of the Nissan emails, etc.

IBELEAF said:
I am confused... do we need to get in touch with dealer now or just wait for something official from Nissan?

I think it best to get in touch with the dealer and come to an understanding about the price, any trade-ins etc.

Jimmydreams said:
mxp said:
I have paid my $99 bucks and I have been lead to believe that I should get a Leaf before the years end. My understanding is that there is a set number of people who were allowed the chance to register the $99, and that set number of units is what Nissan manufacturing is committed to by the end of 2010.

I was NEVER under the assumption that the $99 reservation was any kind of 'set number of people' nor did my $99 get ANY kind of 'commitment' from Nissan to get my car by the end of the year.

Yes, this is the first time I'm hearing anything like that. Everyone who had registered at Nissan website were allowed to reserve - and since May-20 everyone can reserve. Obviously there has never been even a hint that everyone would get the car in 2010 ...

I wonder if there will be an additional non-refundable down payment required when the order is placed with a dealer? Does anyone know if there any California laws that allows the purchaser to cancel the purchase contract up until the date that the vehicle is delivered, without penalty?

I'm with EVNow...I think you need to start making contact with dealers. Even, at this point, if it's just finding one you like and think you'll work well with. I wouldn't wait until after the email comes advising you to request a quote, I really wouldn't. Unless, of course, you really don't care too much about when your car arrives.

Good questions Frank. I don't know the answers to them though. Anybody?

Jimmydreams said:
mxp said:
I have paid my $99 bucks and I have been lead to believe that...

With all the generalities coming out of Nissan and very little specifics, I don't understand how you could get this out of the Nissan emails, etc.

+1
No clue how you came up with those assumptions mxp.

Yawn... I'm starting to lose interest... feeling less need every day to be an early adopter here. It's exciting new technology and all but I just can't muster the fervor the rest of you feel over this.

I have to say though I'm not surprised to see the initial number released being in December being very low. I wouldn't be surprised (and would consider it prudent for Nissan) if they only delivered 100 cars in December, 20 in each of five markets.

Looks like our "Pre-Reservation" order will mean little or nothing, and that there will still be a significant "scramble" to get "orders" placed.

The mechanism of "ordering" is still vague, but it appears that a dealer-choice will be involved. The "trigger" for the ordering might be this "email about a Request for Quote" that we should get (and then respond to) in some way. Apparently the actual quote will be "with", "via", "from", or "through" some dealer. At least a dealer will be selected in (or before) the ordering process.

So, I would suggest that one have a dealer already "investigated" (BBB, reputation for vehicle service, probable pricing, etc.) BEFORE this "Request for Quote" trigger-event happens.

If you want an "early" LEAF, you might attempt to have "all" (as many as possible) details (the purchase, your credit, trade-in, personal info, dealer price, down payment (if any), full refundability if you "bail out", etc.) set down in writing with "the" dealer that really wants your business.

The only real reason I had for getting an early LEAF (other than I would love to "motivate" without buying "oil") was the CA $5000 Rebate, but it looks like (well, hopefully) that program will get more funds, possibly even enough to go through all of 2011.

So, if you do NOT need to be "first", it would seem that you could relax a little, and wait for more information.

I am waiting for more info:
1. the SL's Level 3 charger "option" cost, because without L3 I cannot easily "roam" as public L3 chargers are installed. However, it might be available as a later dealer-install option.
2. the plug-in Level 2 EVSE, cost and availability that I would use to "commute"
3. LEAF braking and Regen features, since steep hills, and even mountains are common here.
4. will this LEAF's internal L2 charger be able to handle 4-hour charging rates, or can that be added economically later
5. Is this "first-Gen" EV primarily a "local" commuter (LEV), a big step up from NEV, but not yet an REV ("roaming" EV)?
6. other performance questions, etc.

Others will probably have other unanswered concerns.

If Nissan really delivers one producton LEAF to each "qualified" dealer ... that could use up ... what, 500 cars nationwide. So, if only LEAFs for "first" areas, perhaps only 50 cars?

We might only get a "few" cars by year end in each of the 11 (or so) "first" areas for real purchasers. If there are even 1100 total, perhaps only about 100 or so in each area by year end.

If EVProject "buyers" get some priority, then ... ?

Nissan has gone on record many times stating that the only plant to produce the vehicle will be in Oppama, Japan initially. Production capability in the Oppama plant is 50,000 units annually. 50,000/12 = 4,167 vehicles per month. Three global launch areas are due to receive these vehicles in December - Europe, Japan, and the US. Even if the US is due to receive 50% of production, as has recently been alluded to by Steve Oldham, Nissan Corporate Communications Manager in the Northeast Region, this will mean the US will get a little more than 2,000 LEAFs in December. Break out the five rollout regions (Seattle area, Portland area, San Diego area, Phoenix/Tucson and Tennessee) and each will get roughly 400 units. This only applies if there is equal distribution in all three areas. Of these 400 units, some will go to LEAF dealers as demo vehicles (likely one per store), some will undoubtedly go to each regional office (promotional events, etc), while the remainder will go to consumers and fleet owners. This accounting does not take into consideration that Nissan USA at a corporate level will be retaining some of the early vehicles for their own needs. While many reservationists would love to get a LEAF in December, the likelyhood of that happening is relatively slim.

For more on this topic, please visit Living LEAF.

LEAFguy said:
. Of these 400 units, some will go to LEAF dealers as demo vehicles (likely one per store), some will undoubtedly go to each regional office (promotional events, etc), while the remainder will go to consumers and fleet owners.

When did someone learn that each dealership will be getting a demo vehicles. Both of the two Tucson dealerships told me that I would have my LEAF before them and that they were hoping to get one by February. At one dealer five people that work there have reserved a LEAF in hopes of having one to show people.

Are we sure the dealers are getting one? If they are, my dealer does not know he is or they are not telling me the truth.

Back