Apple's project “Titan” BEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple is desperately looking for the next “it” product. iPod is dead, iPhone and iPad can only go bigger and bigger. Apple Watch is unlikely to have the same success as iPhone/iPad. iTV is dead before arrival.

Regardless the AppleCar will be available one day, they have to explorer all markets.
One thing they have is unless of R&D money to spend.

My wife works for apple. There's an email string of "registered" EV users at corporate. Nearly 500 cars and about 170 are Leaf. Not sure how many are unregistered.

This will be an autonomous driving vehicle with a range likely targeted to compete in the 200 class. Since this is the next market advance and perfect for commuting and the like it is the logical step as this type of vehicle has a captive audience for media when doing nothing. The car will be about entertainment, connectivity, and a place to work on a commute. They also will need these to transport all their employees with the expansive growth.

freeewilly said:
Apple Watch is unlikely to have the same success as iPhone/iPad. iTV is dead before arrival.
Apple Watch is already sold out for the near future and the AppleTV is getting exclusives like HBO Now. I guess that's why you're not the CEO of one of the world's largest companies.

There is an Apple watch thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian has a long story on the Apple car program.

Mostly on why they know almost nothing about it...

Apple is building a self-driving car in Silicon Valley, and is scouting for secure locations in the San Francisco Bay area to test it, the Guardian has learned. Documents show the oft-rumoured Apple car project appears to be further along than many suspected.

In May, engineers from Apple’s secretive Special Project group met with officials from GoMentum Station, a 2,100-acre former naval base near San Francisco that is being turned into a high-security testing ground for autonomous vehicles.

In correspondence obtained by the Guardian under a public records act request, Apple engineer Frank Fearon wrote: “We would ... like to get an understanding of timing and availability for the space, and how we would need to coordinate around other parties who would be using [it].”

Apple declined to comment...

Google, Tesla, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and several other carmakers have been issued permits by the California department of motor vehicles to test self-driving cars on the state’s public roads. But that process requires disclosing technical and commercial details, something that the notoriously secretive Apple might not want.

“We had to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Apple,” says Randy Iwasaki, executive director of the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, owner of GoMentum Station. “We can’t tell you anything other than they’ve come in and they’re interested.”

Apple’s obsession with secrecy even extends internally. While one of the engineers corresponding with GoMentum Station admits to belonging to Apple’s Special Projects group, Fearon signs his emails with a cryptic question mark icon. However, documents seen by the Guardian reveal that Apple’s automotive team is housed in a low-profile building several miles from the company’s glamorous new Cupertino campus, which is currently under construction...

when engineers from Tesla Motors tried to tour GoMentum Station in April, armed soldiers at the base refused entry to foreign-born workers and a manager who would not divulge his social security number. “At this point, I’ll retract our interest in this test site until the process is worked out,” he huffed in an email to GoMentum Station’s Jack Hall.

Such high security might not suit all carmakers, but Apple should feel right at home.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/14/apple-self-driving-car-project-titan-sooner-than-expected

That delivery date is much sooner than I expected:

Apple Speeds Up Electric-Car Work

Consumer-Electronics Maker Aims to Finalize First Vehicle in 2019

Apple Inc. is accelerating efforts to build an electric car, designating it internally as a “committed project” and setting a target ship date for 2019, according to people familiar with the matter.

The go-ahead came after the company spent more than a year investigating the feasibility of an Apple-branded car, including meetings with two groups of government officials in California. Leaders of the project, code-named Titan , have been given permission to triple the 600-person team, the people familiar with the matter said.

Apple has hired experts in driverless cars, but the people familiar with Apple’s plans said the Cupertino, Calif., company doesn’t currently plan to make its first electric vehicle fully autonomous. That capability is part of the product’s long-term plans, the people familiar with the matter said...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-speeds-up-electric-car-work-1442857105

evnow said:
Ok. So we'll have
2016/17 : Bolt and Leaf 2
2017/18 : Model 3
2019 : Apple iCar
Anyone else ?
Honda EV 2018. 2016 Hyundai EV. Nissan electric Rogue, e-nv200, infiniti LE, VW microbus
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-commits-2016-launch-midsize-electric-car-powered-next-generation-lg-chem-batteries/

Google seems to be more interested in autonomous car software than hardware. How about a Samsung car with Google autodrive ?

DanCar said:
evnow said:
Ok. So we'll have
2016/17 : Bolt and Leaf 2
2017/18 : Model 3
2019 : Apple iCar
Anyone else ?
Honda EV 2018. 2016 Hyundai EV. Nissan electric Rogue, e-nv200, infiniti LE, VW microbus
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-commits-2016-launch-midsize-electric-car-powered-next-generation-lg-chem-batteries/
I wouldn't put my faith in articles like that. I haven't heard anything about the supposed BEV hyundai recently, and 2016 is right around the corner...

I didn't think Apple would actually build cars. Looks like I was wrong.
This is fantastic, the more EVs the better.
And Apple will bring a lot of awareness and consumer confidence to the idea of EVs.

What I am most interested in is what their sales model will look like.

Firetruck41 said:
DanCar said:
I wouldn't put my faith in articles like that. I haven't heard anything about the supposed BEV hyundai recently, and 2016 is right around the corner...
If you search there are plenty of articles out there and pics.
It is scheduled to come out towards end of 2016.

Zythryn said:
And Apple will bring a lot of awareness and consumer confidence to the idea of EVs.

Probably the Tesla model. They already have showrooms.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Zythryn said:

Probably the Tesla model. They already have showrooms.

That is my hope. They have the financial muscle to combat the dealer's association.

DanCar said:
I expect Honda & Hyundai to be compliance cars. Not sure when we'll see rest of the EVs.

Back