6 month summary

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoHenriksson

A quick write up after about 6 months and 6 K miles on my beautiful 13 SV:

I decided to lease for several reasons. I wasn't sure that the Leaf would fit my mission (72 miles drive to/from work about 3 times a week) reliably all year round. I am also somewhat worried about battery longevity, even in North Carolina, and not at all impressed by Nissan's initial response to loss of battery capacity. Also, the Leaf is clearly a 1.0 effort with a 2.0 version around the corner. Or maybe a Tesla E not to far away?

I am in no way a tree hugger but I am worried about our country's energy vulnerability. Using domestically produced energy in a slowly more "green" grid however does matter to me. If my house was situated better I would definitely consider solar power too. The promise of an extremely reliable vehicle requiring virtually no maintenance is also a big draw.

I am not a hypermiler but I drive defensively and "intelligently" and have always gotten published or better mpg in the ICE cars I've had. I was therefore optimistic that my Leaf could do the roundtrip commute to work. Lifetime I have a 4.4 m/kwh indicated. So far so good, I usually get home with 10-15 @ battery left and a LBW. During the recent cold spells I've come home with VLBW driving with minimal heat necessary to clear windows but still fairly comfortable with seat and steering wheel (WAYYYY too hot!!) heat. If we get any significant snow this winter I expect the added rolling resistance will however push me over the edge and not be able to make the trip.
My workplace (an airport) has shown interest in adding some charging stations in the employee lot which of course would solve all my problems. However, those gears grinds exceedingly slowly....

I have only had one problem with the Leaf, a bad power distribution module that needed to be reflashed. The dealer here in the boondocks surprised me by having a dedicated technician who took care of the problem in less than an hour. I was very impressed! I also have the sizzling steering wheel and sprinklers that just barely squirt out any fluid, I'll have that looked at when I bring it in for the recall I got in the mail the other day. But so far so good, I feel very comfortable with the cars reliability.

In summary I am very impressed by this car! I had expected it to feel compromised in many ways, especially being based on the Versa. But it doesn't. It's great fun to drive, feels rock solid on the road. I pump the tires to 44 pounds for maximum range while keeping ride good and now adverse wear pattern that I can see. Its very quiet of course, everything works well and has a "Mercedes" feeling about it. Room is adequate for the size of car, the black interior I've got looks pretty classy. The optional high quality sound system is also great and all around its got a little luxury feel too it.
The driver dash is high tech looking, and except for the silly tree, I have no complaints. Except of course for the GuessOMeter. Surely Nissan could figure out a better algorithm than this?!! I always keep the battery percentage display up, much more useful! I don't much like the navigation system / screen. It feels very 20:th century and I always end up using my iPhone for navigation. With which the car is fairly well integrated with.

So Nissan gets an A+ for effort in the electric car market. They've invested billions in making this vehicle come true and they deserve a lot of credit for that. They receive a D- for infrastructure!
I live in a million + population area (Greensboro - Triad, NC) and there is no public charging infrastructure.
Yes, none. Zip, zilch!
This is very disappointing, and totally unacceptable. Just a few level 2 charging stations at shopping centers or other hot spots would make my car dramatically more useful. An hour / 20 miles of extra charge during some shopping and a cup of coffee would eliminate my charging issues for 90 % of the trips I do. But, alas, no....
For Nissan (why not together with the other plug in car makers) to throw out a smattering of level 2 around town would be complete chump change in relation to the 5 billion they reportedly put in to the developing the Leaf. Very, very disappointing....

For my next Leaf I want a next generation effort. Tesla has shown that electric doesn't have to mean frumpy! The Leaf is, well, cute I guess - but that's not good enough to sell it to a bigger market. It needs to looks fast and sleek and be on a purpose built platform. The interior needs to be copied right out of the Tesla with big touch screens and such. Why not just graft an iPod on the dash? And, of course, it needs more range!
I don't think EV:s will be mainstream until they can have a real world range of 200 + miles. Unless there's some revolutionary breakthrough in the price/performance equation, that's not going to happen. However, Elon says he's going to deliver that in a couple of years at around 30 K... We'll see.

Bo

Glad you like it, even though you're cutting it close on range. There are a couple L2s on PlugShare, mostly at car dealers in Greensboro, Reidsville, and Kenersville. More in Burlington and Winston-Salem. Nothing you can use?

Crown Nissan in Greensboro looks close to Piedmont Triad and gets good reviews.

BoHenriksson said:
I had expected it to feel compromised in many ways, especially being based on the Versa.
Very good post, but I think you are wrong on this one point. Yes, the car is shaped something like a Versa, and a Versa was used as a "mule" during early testing, but Nissan engineers have emphasized that the LEAF chassis and body was designed from the ground up, around the desired battery locations.

If Nissan builds an EV that looks "fast and sleek" I hope it is as an addition to the stable, not a replacement for what they have. I was initially a Chevy Volt fan boy, until I tried to sit in one. I fervently hope Nissan continues to build a comfortable as well as practical EV.

Ray

BoHenriksson said:
A quick write up after about 6 months and 6 K miles on my beautiful 13 SV:

I decided to lease for several reasons. I wasn't sure that the Leaf would fit my mission (72 miles drive to/from work about 3 times a week) reliably all year round. I am also somewhat worried about battery longevity, even in North Carolina, and not at all impressed by Nissan's initial response to loss of battery capacity. Also, the Leaf is clearly a 1.0 effort with a 2.0 version around the corner. Or maybe a Tesla E not to far away?

I am in no way a tree hugger but I am worried about our country's energy vulnerability. Using domestically produced energy in a slowly more "green" grid however does matter to me. If my house was situated better I would definitely consider solar power too. The promise of an extremely reliable vehicle requiring virtually no maintenance is also a big draw.

I am not a hypermiler but I drive defensively and "intelligently" and have always gotten published or better mpg in the ICE cars I've had. I was therefore optimistic that my Leaf could do the roundtrip commute to work. Lifetime I have a 4.4 m/kwh indicated. So far so good, I usually get home with 10-15 @ battery left and a LBW. During the recent cold spells I've come home with VLBW driving with minimal heat necessary to clear windows but still fairly comfortable with seat and steering wheel (WAYYYY too hot!!) heat. If we get any significant snow this winter I expect the added rolling resistance will however push me over the edge and not be able to make the trip.
My workplace (an airport) has shown interest in adding some charging stations in the employee lot which of course would solve all my problems. However, those gears grinds exceedingly slowly....

I have only had one problem with the Leaf, a bad power distribution module that needed to be reflashed. The dealer here in the boondocks surprised me by having a dedicated technician who took care of the problem in less than an hour. I was very impressed! I also have the sizzling steering wheel and sprinklers that just barely squirt out any fluid, I'll have that looked at when I bring it in for the recall I got in the mail the other day. But so far so good, I feel very comfortable with the cars reliability.

In summary I am very impressed by this car! I had expected it to feel compromised in many ways, especially being based on the Versa. But it doesn't. It's great fun to drive, feels rock solid on the road. I pump the tires to 44 pounds for maximum range while keeping ride good and now adverse wear pattern that I can see. Its very quiet of course, everything works well and has a "Mercedes" feeling about it. Room is adequate for the size of car, the black interior I've got looks pretty classy. The optional high quality sound system is also great and all around its got a little luxury feel too it.
The driver dash is high tech looking, and except for the silly tree, I have no complaints. Except of course for the GuessOMeter. Surely Nissan could figure out a better algorithm than this?!! I always keep the battery percentage display up, much more useful! I don't much like the navigation system / screen. It feels very 20:th century and I always end up using my iPhone for navigation. With which the car is fairly well integrated with.

So Nissan gets an A+ for effort in the electric car market. They've invested billions in making this vehicle come true and they deserve a lot of credit for that. They receive a D- for infrastructure!
I live in a million + population area (Greensboro - Triad, NC) and there is no public charging infrastructure.
Yes, none. Zip, zilch!
This is very disappointing, and totally unacceptable. Just a few level 2 charging stations at shopping centers or other hot spots would make my car dramatically more useful. An hour / 20 miles of extra charge during some shopping and a cup of coffee would eliminate my charging issues for 90 % of the trips I do. But, alas, no....
For Nissan (why not together with the other plug in car makers) to throw out a smattering of level 2 around town would be complete chump change in relation to the 5 billion they reportedly put in to the developing the Leaf. Very, very disappointing....

For my next Leaf I want a next generation effort. Tesla has shown that electric doesn't have to mean frumpy! The Leaf is, well, cute I guess - but that's not good enough to sell it to a bigger market. It needs to looks fast and sleek and be on a purpose built platform. The interior needs to be copied right out of the Tesla with big touch screens and such. Why not just graft an iPod on the dash? And, of course, it needs more range!
I don't think EV:s will be mainstream until they can have a real world range of 200 + miles. Unless there's some revolutionary breakthrough in the price/performance equation, that's not going to happen. However, Elon says he's going to deliver that in a couple of years at around 30 K... We'll see.

Bo

i have to agree that your living in an area that is essentially the "silicon valley of medical research" leaves me scratching my head that sheer public will has not made any strides in the area of public charging. I have to guess the adoption rates just have not been as good. its not like the area does not have the money and seems to me the medical community (at least around here) was always one of the first to embrace cleaner, more efficient and simply smart ways of transportation.

Until you get L-2 stations for charging at work, they should be willing to let you use any 120 volt outlets available for L-1 charging, right? That alone would solve your range problem, based on your current remaining ranges. Usually it's resistance to any charging at all that quashes at-work charging, but in your case you just have to have an available outlet or two.

Even if my employer (NY state) were to make outlets available, or put in L-2 stations, I'd be out of luck. Our parking garages are a 1/2+ mile walk each way from our building, so I have to park on the street in front of it, due to a bum leg. Not much chance of Albany NY putting in street charging stations!

Dave in Olympia

You are confusing Greensboro and Raleigh/Durham

We have a pretty fantastic public charging infrastructure and a huge EV base. Greensboro is an hour away and even further away economically/industry.

Downtown Raleigh has probably 30 free L2s, some hospitals and some malls. Cary (my suburb) has several downtown and at 3 McDonalds. All free (although some are in paid parking garages).

From my area to the employment centers, I can't get more than 4 miles away from a free L2.

I agree with nearly all the OPs write-up. My steering wheel doesn't sizzle....

OP - You are going to really need to work on the airport to get some charging for next winter (with some battery degradation). Even a 120V makes your life that much better. I've had mine since 3/6/13 and surprisingly my carwings efficiency data shows almost no monthly variation in our climate. It is probable that I drive a lot faster in the summer but I was really surprised to see that. I do park in a warm garage an night and run my heat the way you do.

You have got to be the only Leaf in Reidsville....

I like your post and agree with your assessment of a nearly perfect car!

BoHenriksson said:
I don't think EV:s will be mainstream until they can have a real world range of 200 + miles.

On this, my thinking is that our idea of "mainstream" shouldn't be the "touring" car. EVs are better today for the commuter and taxi mom. And, those uses are where the largest amount of carbon emissions can be removed from the equation. Without waiting for charging infrastructure.

Thanks everybody for your comments!
This forum is great and I always learn something from everybody's posts.
Just a few things;
The NC Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is a high tech heaven with what looks like a ton of public charging options! Good for them, and I wish I still lived there! I'm sure they're selling a ton of Leaf's (Leaves?) in the area, its a chicken and egg situation. They have both!
I'm in the Triad (Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point) which is a charging desert. In spite of actually having quite a bit of high tech industry and educational institutions. Yes there's a few dealers that I could use to add a few miles - but not when I come off work around midnight. If there's unforecast inclement weather I will be stuck. Period. A 24 hr gas station with a level 2 would be great! Grab a coffee and read the paper and I'm on the way home with no worries. Inconvenient, yeah, a bit, but much less so than the alternative!
Level 1 at work would be fine and I'd gladly drag around my brick to use a 110 V outlet. But having scoured the employee parking lot there is none.
I also realized that the Leaf is much modified from the Versa. I expected the Leaf to feel a bit like a "science experiment" but doesn't! It feels solid and refined which speaks volumes of the work Nissan put in to it. For, once again, they deserve a bunch of credit. But still, from a distance I can't tell the difference from the Versa. Or a bunch of other small cars. (Until of course you're close enough to see the frog-face!) The Prius is clearly distinct from anything else on the road, you can see it from a mile away. A fact that Toyota has profited from very nicely! Nissan needs to do something similar and they need to produce a line of EV:s for different tastes.
You and me on this forum may not mind driving a "cute" car as "early adopters".
"Average Joe" will mind.

Happy Leafing!

Bo

Back