Amateur (Ham) Radio in a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
can you imagine the hoots if I installed my screwdriver on it? [...] . . . . . and this pic doesn't even show the accompanying whip, nor the 2' wide cloverleaf shaped capacitance hat. :D
This would earn you a thread all its own, as we'd have to calculate the drag created by all that hardware and the effect on the range. Then add in the power consumption (a kilowatt's a kilowatt, after all).

I was kind of expecting the roof to be aluminum. THAT would have been embarrassing if I planned to use a mag mount.

I like how one ham radio post brings check-ins from all over :)

Barry WA2QMI

A friend installed a VHF/UHF radio in my Leaf. There is a large (3 inch?) hole in the "firewall" on the driver's side. It is very crowded, with a million wires going through it, but he was able to pass a wire hanger from underneath the steering wheel area, and then pulled a power cable from the engine compartment back to driver's side. Is it still called a "firewall" if it isn't an internal combustion engine?

Jeff AH6IX

I've been tracing the wiring harness in the Service Manual to see if there is a switched source of 12 volts in the back area around the hatch and storage compartment but no luck in finding anything yet... I don't need much current but I do need a trigger back there...

Tom K6TGT

mogur said:
I've been tracing the wiring harness in the Service Manual to see if there is a switched source of 12 volts in the back area around the hatch and storage compartment but no luck in finding anything yet... I don't need much current but I do need a trigger back there...

Tom K6TGT
No luck following the 12 volts for the parking brake? That's always powered, even when the car is turned off. :D

I could use that in a pinch but I'd prefer something that powered on and off with the car and was also a little more accessible...

DarkStar said:
mogur said:
Tom K6TGT
No luck following the 12 volts for the parking brake? That's always powered, even when the car is turned off. :D

G'day all,
Has anyone used HF in the Leaf ? Is there any large amounts of noise from the controller ?

Someone mentioned field day. Someone here who converts Diahatsu to an EV has a small trailer
and it really is a small trailer in which he has extra batteries and a generator when he wants to
take the car from Sydney to Melbourne about 650 miles. The generator on motorways can run
his car quite easily. Might be different with hilly normal roads.
73 Barry VK2AAB

TomT said:

Tom K6TGT
What charges the 12V battery? DC-DC converter? How much power?

Brett KA7CGB

Yes, DC to DC, and over 100 amps (at 12v to 14v), I believe,
since it really supplies all the "12v" (probably 14v) power when
operating the car: lights, pumps, accessories, electronics, etc.

The "little" 12v battery is primarily there to power
minimal/critical electronics when the car is "Off".

garygid said:
Yes, DC to DC, and over 100 amps (at 12v to 14v), I believe,
since it really supplies all the "12v" (probably 14v) power when
operating the car: lights, pumps, accessories, electronics, etc.

The "little" 12v battery is primarily there to power
minimal/critical electronics when the car is "Off".
I figured that the little battery was was for the small stuff that's always powered. The little battery is really tiny (I had to go look at the fuse holders and engine compartment).

The 100A @ 12V converter would be a healthy capacity alternator for a bigger ICE. Are there any other power sources other than the big battery, 12V-BAT, 12V-ACC and 12V-IGN? The A/C compressor is powered by the big battery. Power steering? Power brakes?

This is actually off-topic. Is there another thread that discusses vehicle power systems? I wish I had a service manual to examine for a few days.... I have so many questions regarding the electrical and power train systems.

Sorry for all the questions... but I'm not really sorry. :cool:

Brett KA7CGB

brettcgb said:
This is actually off-topic. Is there another thread that discusses vehicle power systems? I wish I had a service manual to examine for a few days.... I have so many questions regarding the electrical and power train systems.

Yes, me too. Specifically, I am trying to figure out how I can run a 12v inverter off the Leaf and take advantage of the huge pack capacity. What isn't clear to me is how much power is available through the DC-to-DC converter and, more importantly, how one can run the converters without turning the car completely on.

For example, if it is in ACC mode, is the DC-to-DC converter on keeping the 12v system going? I saw some reference to the car shutting off after an hour if all the doors are closed. So, I left the driver's door slightly ajar (turning off the dome light), but I'm still not entirely sure I was getting the behavior I wanted. I do have a copy of the service manual,
but find it hard to decipher.

Anybody else go down this road? If this is in a different thread, I'm happy to jump over there instead.

Thanks,

Ed

The only BIG storage of Energy is the high-voltage Traction Battery Pack. On occasion, it re-charges the small 12v battery.

Most things (except the Motor/Drive-Train and Heater) are powered by the "12v buss".

The solar panel contributes a trickle (when in enough sunshine) toward charging the 12v battery.

edmorin said:
brettcgb said:
Yes, me too. Specifically, I am trying to figure out how I can run a 12v inverter off the Leaf and take advantage of the huge pack capacity. What isn't clear to me is how much power is available through the DC-to-DC converter and, more importantly, how one can run the converters without turning the car completely on.

For example, if it is in ACC mode, is the DC-to-DC converter on keeping the 12v system going? I saw some reference to the car shutting off after an hour if all the doors are closed. So, I left the driver's door slightly ajar (turning off the dome light), but I'm still not entirely sure I was getting the behavior I wanted. I do have a copy of the service manual,
but find it hard to decipher.

Anybody else go down this road? If this is in a different thread, I'm happy to jump over there instead.

Thanks,

Ed
Ed - You might have better success simply turning the car ON, but leaving it in park. Energy consumption will increase somewhat, but not by much as long as you left everything in the vehicle turned off.

I'd attach the inverter direct to the 12V battery. The "power outlet" in the cabin is good for only 10A (120W). Most inverters are about 80-90% efficient, so you'd be limited to about 100W AC.

I too thought about attaching an inverter. My preference would be to attach to the big battery bus (what voltage? I've assumed 250-350VDC) with a HV input inverter. Three things keep me from pursuing this 1) I already have a "portable power supply" that hasn't seen much use (12V 20AHr battery jump starter / compressor / 400W inverter) , 2) working with HV battery circuits represent serious risks (incineration and loss of life), and 3) I'm leasing.

I really don't have a strong need.

garygid said:
Most things (except the Motor/Drive-Train and Heater) are powered by the "12v buss".
The A/C compressor is powered from the traction battery. I traced the refrigerant lines to a cylinder below the inverter. That cylinder has orange wiring....

I believe the HV-12V inverter is the monolith to the rear of the traction inverter (back end of the "engine" compartment, passenger side).

If that is the DC-to-DC, where is the HV Heater (should have different "coolant" system)?

When resting and "full", the HV can be around 395 volts. During L2 charging, over 400. During QC, around 410-420 might be seen.

The SOC-Meter reports the Pack voltage, during a QC, to within a volt (or better) of that reported on the screen of the Eaton QC machine. I tested last Saturday.

brettcgb said:
Ed - You might have better success simply turning the car ON, but leaving it in park. Energy consumption will increase somewhat, but not by much as long as you left everything in the vehicle turned off.
Turns on what you mean by "consumption will increase somewhat, but not by much" There's about 1/4kWh parasitic loss, with all accessories turned offf.

Back to hf ... vhf ... uhf ... microwave etc
how far back to other amateur folks go? I've been monkey'ing w/ the stuff since the early 1960's, (pre-teens) and I'm in my late '50's now.

112h3d3.jpg

Since I was about five, actually... When I was 12, I built a 500 watt pirate AM radio station from scratch using 3 used 807s feeding a 1/2 wave dipole strung along the telephone poles...

-Tom K6TGT

hill said:
how far back to other amateur folks go? I've been monkey'ing w/ the stuff since the early 1960's, (pre-teens) and I'm in my late '50's now.

hill said:

112h3d3.jpg
More off than on since High School (1978), but with a long intense period with VHF from about 1986 - 1993.
Very little HF; some UHF, packet radio; scanner fan.

About 30 years for me.I have a jeep tj with an icom 7000 mounted in a rack on the overhead.Vhf,uhf and antenna for 20 and 40 meters...basically a moving antenna farm but worth it for remote dxing/field days or special events...dont know about outfitting the leaf though...regards k6zk

Back