Alternate Carwings app for Android and Android Wear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minispeed said:
Ok it downloaded no problem from Canada and installed but I couldn't log in. It said login failed check user name/password.

Did you select "Canada" at the bottom of the login page?

minispeed said:
One thing though, even though the name is changed to search for it in chrome I still had to use leaf status and it redirected when it opened up in play.

Hm.. that's probably to be expected. I may republish the app entirely when it's out of "beta"

evyna said:
Carwings doesn't return the % capacity; the old number was just bars/12 and formatted into increments of 10. Now it shows the raw bars, which are more correct, and the range. I can derive the percent from the range, but it would be inaccurate to a few percents, which would be annoying to people.

I double checked carwings and it actually shows a % capacity (its totally based on the bars pretty sure). Is this not imbedded in the data you get from it? Meh, if you have time to add as an option cool, if not, then meh - there may be someone that likes the % from carwings.

evyna said:
Hmm... yeah. Need to think about this. I don't like showing X / 12, it seems unintuitive, but people wanted the raw bar reading, so I'm not sure what to do with that.

Yea the X/12 format almost made me think of a date (especially since it was the first numbers displayed!). I would maybe change it to X of 12 bars. Its longer, but you could probably delete the spaces and say Xof12 bars to save space. If you really need it short X of 12 or Xof12 (looks slightly odd without "bars) may work. Or, just say 8 bars - I mean do we really need to know the max? I assume after about a few days of ownership you know how many total bars there are. And maybe as a slick coding if bars=12 display "Full bars" and if bars=0 you could do "No bars" - not needed but nice touches.

evyna said:
Well, to be fair, S models don't have Carwings either ;) What do you suggest it be called?

Ok, I am going to start this with "my bad." I was looking at the connotation of the word vs the denotation. Go me. Here in Texas HVAC always implies a heat pump system. If it isn't a heat pump (rare) its referred to something else. But, technically, HVAC is the generic term for all heating and air conditioning, no matter they type. So stupid me. Leave as is - your cool.

evyna said:
I can set the notification to be always there, there's an option in Android for that, but I feel like I'd get a slew of complaints if people couldn't get rid of it. Maybe make it an option in the app?

I think that is the way to go. I usually have a very clean notification tray, and do the all dismiss quite a bit. For people that like that cleanness - that option would be very helpful; and your right, some people would just get super annoyed if it was fixed permanently there without an option. And just as a backup, I think I would leave the "Save and Update" always as available so people can refresh as needed to put the icon back in the notification tray without having to make some adjustment first.

evyna said:
It's an Android thing.. there's a weird gesture to show the buttons (swipe down on the notification, I think), but it's not really intuitive. Not sure if there's a workaround for this, though. I'll look into it.

Wow, being on android since Eclair this was something I never knew! Well then, I would leave as is. Android itself knows what to do, so I wouldn't do anything. It might need further testing on skinned phones, sometimes they modify the notification tray and it might not work (dunno why they would remove that function). Although, to prevent someone complaining about it, I might mention it in your app description. As heavy and long time android user and I didn't know about that - there is probably a good chance that many people won't know it either.

Pipcecil said:
evyna said:
Carwings doesn't return the % capacity; the old number was just bars/12 and formatted into increments of 10. Now it shows the raw bars, which are more correct, and the range. I can derive the percent from the range, but it would be inaccurate to a few percents, which would be annoying to people.

I double checked carwings and it actually shows a % capacity (its totally based on the bars pretty sure). Is this not imbedded in the data you get from it? Meh, if you have time to add as an option cool, if not, then meh - there may be someone that likes the % from carwings.

What Carwings app are you using? Mine doesn't have a percent, just some bars. The data doesn't return a percent:

https://gist.github.com/jaxbot/b914563bf3154afe277a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evyna said:
Hmm... yeah. Need to think about this. I don't like showing X / 12, it seems unintuitive, but people wanted the raw bar reading, so I'm not sure what to do with that.

Yea the X/12 format almost made me think of a date (especially since it was the first numbers displayed!). I would maybe change it to X of 12 bars. Its longer, but you could probably delete the spaces and say Xof12 bars to save space. If you really need it short X of 12 or Xof12 (looks slightly odd without "bars) may work. Or, just say 8 bars - I mean do we really need to know the max? I assume after about a few days of ownership you know how many total bars there are. And maybe as a slick coding if bars=12 display "Full bars" and if bars=0 you could do "No bars" - not needed but nice touches.

Sounds like one of those will work. I'll do some mockups later.

evyna said:
Well, to be fair, S models don't have Carwings either ;) What do you suggest it be called?

Ok, I am going to start this with "my bad." I was looking at the connotation of the word vs the denotation. Go me. Here in Texas HVAC always implies a heat pump system. If it isn't a heat pump (rare) its referred to something else. But, technically, HVAC is the generic term for all heating and air conditioning, no matter they type. So stupid me. Leave as is - your cool.

Heh, no worries. It doesn't need to be technically correct, but it needs to be intuitive. If users think HVAC is going to turn on the heater, and they want A/C, that's no bueno. Unfortunately, "climate control" is too long

evyna said:
I can set the notification to be always there, there's an option in Android for that, but I feel like I'd get a slew of complaints if people couldn't get rid of it. Maybe make it an option in the app?

I think that is the way to go. I usually have a very clean notification tray, and do the all dismiss quite a bit. For people that like that cleanness - that option would be very helpful; and your right, some people would just get super annoyed if it was fixed permanently there without an option. And just as a backup, I think I would leave the "Save and Update" always as available so people can refresh as needed to put the icon back in the notification tray without having to make some adjustment first.

Got it. Will implement.

evyna said:
It's an Android thing.. there's a weird gesture to show the buttons (swipe down on the notification, I think), but it's not really intuitive. Not sure if there's a workaround for this, though. I'll look into it.

Wow, being on android since Eclair this was something I never knew! Well then, I would leave as is. Android itself knows what to do, so I wouldn't do anything. It might need further testing on skinned phones, sometimes they modify the notification tray and it might not work (dunno why they would remove that function). Although, to prevent someone complaining about it, I might mention it in your app description. As heavy and long time android user and I didn't know about that - there is probably a good chance that many people won't know it either.
[/quote]

Heh, Android is full of surprises ;) I'll look into adding some clarification

evyna said:
What Carwings app are you using? Mine doesn't have a percent, just some bars. The data doesn't return a percent:

https://gist.github.com/jaxbot/b914563bf3154afe277a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ohhhh...for some reason (I probably missed it) I thought it was pulling data from the webportal. Yea, the webportal shows %, the app does not. Ok, I wouldn't bother then since you would just have to extrapolate.

evyna said:
Heh, no worries. It doesn't need to be technically correct, but it needs to be intuitive. If users think HVAC is going to turn on the heater, and they want A/C, that's no bueno. Unfortunately, "climate control" is too long

I am in the same boat - HVAC has a connotation of heating to me. I guess people like me miss the "AC" portion of the acronym - I mean its right there! :lol: I would just leave it - the fan icon helps explain itself anyways - its intuitive enough that I didn't skip a beat to identify what it was.

Pipcecil said:
evyna said:

Ohhhh...for some reason (I probably missed it) I thought it was pulling data from the webportal. Yea, the webportal shows %, the app does not. Ok, I wouldn't bother then since you would just have to extrapolate.

evyna said:

I am in the same boat - HVAC has a connotation of heating to me. I guess people like me miss the "AC" portion of the acronym - I mean its right there! :lol: I would just leave it - the fan icon helps explain itself anyways - its intuitive enough that I didn't skip a beat to identify what it was.

My web portal doesn't have a percent either... can you post a screenshot?

evyna said:
minispeed said:
Ok it downloaded no problem from Canada and installed but I couldn't log in. It said login failed check user name/password.

minispeed said:
One thing though, even though the name is changed to search for it in chrome I still had to use leaf status and it redirected when it opened up in play.

Hm.. that's probably to be expected. I may republish the app entirely when it's out of "beta"

Yes selected Canada, and just in case kept it US too. I went back and double checked the link that you posted to the canadian site automatically redirects to put "login" at the end.

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/login

Not sure if that matters. I didn't notice it before because I just clicked then logged in on the page it sent me to.

minispeed said:
evyna said:
minispeed said:

minispeed said:

Yes selected Canada, and just in case kept it US too. I went back and double checked the link that you posted to the canadian site automatically redirects to put "login" at the end.

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/login

Not sure if that matters. I didn't notice it before because I just clicked then logged in on the page it sent me to.

It's possible that the endpoints are different... what page are you on when you open up your vehicle status?

here they all are in order since I'm not sure which one's matter

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
enter user name and password

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see my vehicles "leaf 1" and the black shadow of the car in the left, on the right is the vin and in the bottom is a link to "view leaf status"

Click on view leaf status then:
https://carwings.mynissan.ca/vehicles#26XXX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now below the box with the black shadow of the car there are the bars, estimated charge time, estimated driving distance, then climate control options.

minispeed said:
here they all are in order since I'm not sure which one's matter

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
enter user name and password

https://carwings.mynissan.ca/vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see my vehicles "leaf 1" and the black shadow of the car in the left, on the right is the vin and in the bottom is a link to "view leaf status"

Click on view leaf status then:
https://carwings.mynissan.ca/vehicles#26XXX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now below the box with the black shadow of the car there are the bars, estimated charge time, estimated driving distance, then climate control options.

Ah, yep, found the problem. The US version has /owners/ before all the endpoints. Inconsistent as always :p I'll get that fixed today

here is a screen shot of my webportal - notice the % charge next to the bar diagram. This only appears in the webportal, not the app

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75NAHw_JRTObm41V0h6NUhKQWc/view?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pipcecil said:
here is a screen shot of my webportal - notice the % charge next to the bar diagram. This only appears in the webportal, not the app

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75NAHw_JRTObm41V0h6NUhKQWc/view?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the heck? Mine doesn't have that! http://imgur.com/6iTGX2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What year is your car?

Just published an update. Should be live tonight or tomorrow morning.

Changes:

1. Metric option
2. Hopefully fixed Canada endpoints
3. Default charge level option
4. Show permanent option
5. Says X of 12, instead of X/12
6. Found two bugs and fixed them, nothing major but could have caused hiccups

Let me know when you all get it!

evyna said:

Changes:

1. Metric option
4. Show permanent option

Nice!.

1 and 2 work well!

Hopefully I'll get my moto 360 tonight, trying to buy one grey market.

minispeed said:
evyna said:

Changes:

1. Metric option
4. Show permanent option

Nice!.

1 and 2 work well!

Hopefully I'll get my moto 360 tonight, trying to buy one grey market.

Awesome, happy to hear! Let me know if any quirks come up.

evyna said:
Pipcecil said:

What the heck? Mine doesn't have that! http://imgur.com/6iTGX2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What year is your car?

A 2011 - I guess they changed the web portal since then - odd that they would change in on specific car vins/years.

Pipcecil said:
evyna said:
Pipcecil said:

What year is your car?

A 2011 - I guess they changed the web portal since then - odd that they would change in on specific car vins/years.

Yeah, that's -really- odd. If you know how to use the Chrome Inspector (or can otherwise guess), I can add the feature in for cars that have that data available. Basically:

1. Login to carwings using Chrome
2. Right click anywhere and hit Inspect Element
3. Click on the network tab in the inspector window that comes up
4. Press the update button in Carwings, to get fresh data
5. When the update finishes and is shown on the page, a new request should appear in the network tab. Should be called "pollStatusRefresh". If you click on it and press the "preview" tab, some key-value data should appear. Find whatever looks to be related to the percent and paste it here. I'd advise against pasting the whole thing because it has access tokens, VIN numbers, and other things in it, but if you find something like currentPercent or something, tell me what the key is.

Thanks! Otherwise, if you're content with having the bars, that's cool too of course ;) Whatever works, it's not a hard change to make

okies, some more fun for you:

Firstly, I will get the code for you this weekend. My work does not allow chrome on our computers, so I have to get it from my computer at home.

Also I pulled these pics when I was quick charging today:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75NAHw_JRTOOUp0WWdRTHpaelVTQVVUeE1YNWJMZk5KRGhn/view?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75NAHw_JRTOOWtiaW1WSDY3bHNkM0hDTjFQa0pOQVczcndn/view?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice the charging time. Carwings does NOT give a charging time when QCing (I am guessing its variable, too fast, and most dont charge to 100% anyways). Instead of the computer gobble - you might want to rewrite the output to something like "QC Charging" if this value is returned (or the ? value is returned).

Secondly I have noticed update "bleed" I have turned off auto updates since I don't need the car updated all the time. I noticed while QCing the app updated itself! Yup it would show an increase in bars (like after the above pic, 11 of 12 bars is now shown on the phone). I don't know if its because the connection to carwings is "open" for awhile and the app updates as long as its open, or if the QC charging return caused the app to behave this way or maybe because of the change in bar status caused it to update?

I don't know. I would have to QC again for replication. I DO know it doesn't happen on level 2 (or not yet anyways). I go home, park the car, plug in, and in the morning it still has the same status of the last time I updated. This happened a couple of times during the QC event. I thought I was just accidentally hitting the update button, but now I am positive I am not and the app auto updated itself even though auto updates are not on. I don't think its the update function of the app that is doing it either. The QC took maybe 30 minutes at most in that time there should have been, at most, one update (the default 45 minutes on the slide is still there, though greyed out). I know for sure it updated twice on its own, maybe 3 times, so its some other behavior and its not ignoring the auto update option being turned off. Right now its been over an hour since I stopped QCing, and the app has not updated once.

One final bug - it seems to want to run home to mommy with L1 charging. Once when I updated during QC - the "?" became L1. And right now when I updated, despite choosing to show Level 2, it shows Level 1 times (I am not plugged in). I did notice once when it showed me level 2 time earlier today (not plugged in), it still showed "L1" as the increment (when it was clearing displaying L2 charging times).

So sometimes it replaces the charging time with "L1" in the brackets when its QCing (unknown) and even sometimes on Level 2 times. Also, it tends to show Level 1 times despite Level 2 being selected.

Mine stopped working at 3:52 this morning. Says 2/12 bars, I've logged out and back on it still says 2/12.

I went in through the web page and as soon as I got on it said 11 and also showed that it had been accessed 1min before when I re logged on the app.

Ok more weird just checked after writting that, I unchecked the make notification un-dismissable then it showed the proper charge in the notification but after clicking on the notification it still shows 2/12 on the full page app, then after exiting the full page app the new notification still shows 2/12.

Back