Add 4 speed transmission for 15% gain in range on highway?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, they are claiming an increase of 6% in efficiency... One assumes that this is probably optimized for their requirements so a street vehicle might not do quite as well, particularly if you factor in the different and varying driving conditions... Assuming 6 percent for sake of argument though, that would increase the range of the Leaf by about 4 1/2 miles. Considering the increased cost and complexity, I don't see a ROI there.

GRA said:
Some real world info, via ABG

TomT said:
So, they are claiming an increase of 6% in efficiency... One assumes that this is probably optimized for their requirements so a street vehicle might not do quite as well, particularly if you factor in the different and varying driving conditions... Assuming 6 percent for sake of argument though, that would increase the range of the Leaf by about 4 1/2 miles. Considering the increased cost and complexity, I don't see a ROI there.

GRA said:
Some real world info, via ABG
Yeah, it would be a tough argument. OTOH, this seems to have been a pretty quick and dirty conversion, so it's possible they could optimize it and get some more. It really just depends on the transmission/battery cost ratios, plus the effect on reliability/any extra maintenance costs. Since it was an alpine course I'd expect greater advantages in steady speed freeway cruising on flattish ground, but there's no info here to prove or disprove that.

Back