9/17/13: ECOtality files for bankrupcy and gets Nissan loan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phxsmiley said:
It's surprising that they couldn't work out the advertising side of the Blink units. I believe I saw one DC charger displaying an ad on their large screens, but for the most part I've just seen the instructional videos. Their L2 units don't seem like they would work out for advertising - screen is so small and really hard to read in daylight.
They must not have done any consumer testing or they would have noticed that while charging for 15-30 minutes people tend not to stand in front of their car to watch the screen, but walk around, or sit inside the car from where the screen is hard to read. I imagine that would-be advertisers did notice this.

Other advertising methods could have worked well, e.g.,

First hour free with $5 purchase at <merchant> (automatically debited when you use the same credit card you swiped at the Blink station)

Enter code E72B12 for $2 off any purchase of $10 at <merchant>

Ask <merchant> for a free quote for kitchen remodeling and get a code to enter for 2 hours free charging

While you charge, connect your smartphone to Blink_wifi to view special offers not available elsewhere, from <merchant>, <merchant>, and more

TomT said:
All you have to do is pull two internal connectors and it becomes your basic dumb EVSE...

davewill said:
Could be a business opportunity for someone who whips up a Blink refit for the site owners who find themselves owning a boat anchor when either their Blink dies, or the network goes away.
If I had this unit at home etc I might be pulling that connector sooner than later.
If they can pull the plug so can I.

Details about the sale of ECOtality assets and an auction to be held on 10/9/13...

http://www.kccllc.net/ecotality/document/1316126130917000000000010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page with interesting documents:

http://www.kccllc.net/ECOtality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that there would be so many companies interested in these assets. Do so many other companies really think there's a chance to make money in this space?

I wonder if the bankruptcy will somehow allow the new owners to force extended terms or other contract modifications on residential or commercial station operators. Pretty sure they and we don't have a seat at the table where the agreement will be worked out.

walterbays said:
I wonder if the bankruptcy will somehow allow the new owners to force extended terms or other contract modifications on residential or commercial station operators. Pretty sure they and we don't have a seat at the table where the agreement will be worked out.
Well.....let's see if I have this figured out correctly now. I have a Blink EVSE in my garage. Hmmmm. Since ECTY has declared bankruptcy, they will no longer be able to adhere to the terms of my contract with them, right? So....I'll unhook the WI-FI, and just make the simple modifications to turn the Blink into a "dumb" EVSE. Since it works like a charm, I'll continue to use the Leaf timers for charging at night during super off-peak rates. If someone tries to take away my Blink EVSE, I'll just park myself on a chair in my garage with my 357 Mag on my lap and watch out for trespassers. Do I have this all correct? :? You can tell that I'm still ticked off because I didn't get my T-shirt!! :p

Hear it from the ECOtality boss...Straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.kccllc.net/ecotality/document/1316126130917000000000027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
The auction took place yesterday, and the announcements of successful bids were supposed to be made today. Anyone hear anything?

-Phil
CarCharging put out a press release indicating that they have acquired the Blink network:

http://www.carcharging.com/about/news/all/carcharging-successfully-wins-bid-to-purchase-ecotalitys-blink-assets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kccllc.net/ecotality/document/list/3704?nh=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The basic terms of the Successful Bids submitted by the Buyers are as follows:

(i) Intertek will pay $750,000 for the eTec Labs business line and assume the Assumed Liabilities (as defined in the Agreement with Intertek), including payment or satisfaction of Cure Amounts associated with the Assigned Contracts and Assigned Leases to be assumed and assigned to Intertek pursuant to the Agreement with Intertek.

(ii) Access Control will pay $250,000 for the Minit-Charger business line and assume the Assumed Liabilities (as defined in the Agreement with Access Control), including payment or satisfaction of Cure Amounts associated with the Assigned Contracts and Assigned Leases to be assumed and assigned to Access Control pursuant to the Agreement with Access Control.

(iii) Blink Acquisition will pay $3,335,000 for the Blink Network business line and assume the Assumed Liabilities (as defined in the Agreement with Blink Acquisition), including payment or satisfaction of Cure Amounts associated with the Assigned Contracts and Assigned Leases to be assumed and assigned to Blink Acquisition pursuant to the Agreement with Blink Acquisition.

Aha!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/carcharging-successfully-wins-bid-to-purchase-ecotalitys-blink-assets-2013-10-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MIAMI BEACH, Fla., Oct. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Blink Acquisition, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Car Charging Group, Inc. (otcqb:CCGI) ("CarCharging"), a nationwide provider of convenient electric vehicle (EV) charging services, announced today that it has successfully won the bid to purchase the Blink related assets of ECOtality, a clean electric transportation and storage technology firm.

The assets included in the transaction are all of Blink's inventory, the more than 12,450 installed electric vehicle Level II charging stations, the 110 DC Fast charging stations, and the Blink network, which is the turnkey operating system for EV drivers, commercial businesses, and utilities, that services the Blink stations.

-Phil

surfingslovak said:
CarCharging put out a press release indicating that they have acquired the Blink network:

http://www.carcharging.com/about/news/all/carcharging-successfully-wins-bid-to-purchase-ecotalitys-blink-assets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd never even heard of this company until earlier this year. I'd posted about them at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=300634#p300634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I wonder if they're actually more well known, whether I've been living under an EV rock or whether it's just by luck (or PR) that they appeared on TV. I suspect that the CNBC or Bloomberg folks who got them on know little or nothing about EVs and charging networks.

pchilds said:
Can't wait until all Blink stations are $.49 kWh. :(

Hmmm....$1 per hour Level 2 (split with the host site) doesn't collect enough revenue to sustain the business and ECOtality goes bankrupt...New owner pays $3.3M to jump on board...

The new owner HAS to charge more than $1 per hour to recover his investment and allow him provide a viable charging service.

pchilds said:
So, for a 3.3kW LEAF, that comes to approx $1.75 an hour...which is close enough to the $1.50/hr rate Blink was charging if you didn't pay a membership fee. A car that draws the full 30a would pay approx $3 an hour, but could unplug much sooner. Noting that Blink went broke on the old rates, this is likely the price that it has to be in order for the network to pay expenses. I doubt it generates much in the way of profit.

pchilds said:

Fine with me. Even the quick chargers, which would make some charges cost more than the $5 they do now. But, at least you could spend less for just a quick 80-percent-top-up and maybe it would make the things economically viable. They cost tens of thousands to build and install, then they need to be maintained. I just want to know that they are going to be there.

What's that? You'll just-drive-the-Prius, you say? Sounds good to me, I need those stations! The mentality is much different when a short range ev is your only car. ;) I'd rather pay 50c per kWh then have it be free and be taken by some PHEV. I can pull about a buck worth of electricity (2 kWh) in 18 minutes, but probably would not do so with those Rema handles!

pkulak said:
pchilds said:
Fine with me. Even the quick chargers, which would make some charges cost more than the $5 they do now. But, at least you could spend less for just a quick 80-percent-top-up and maybe it would make the things economically viable. They cost tens of thousands to build and install, then they need to be maintained. I just want to know that they are going to be there.
+1. I am happy to pay $0.49/kWh if it means that the business will remain viable and reliable when I need them.

I hope that they also consider a "time-plugged-in" fee option at least during busy hours to encourage people to un-plug when done charging, too. Say $0.50/hour from 9am-9pm and $0.25/hour the other hours of the day - or perhaps base it on how many stations are available near by - lots of stations available? No charge for remaining plugged in. less than 25% stations available? Charge $0.25/hour. Less than 10% stations available? Charge $0.50/hour. Gotta discourage the "campers" so that charging stations remain available whenever possible.

Only way to make this work in the long term is if plug-in owners know they can rely no stations being available when they need them. And that can't be done if the companies maintaining them go out of business or of stations completely fill up.

I think the charging business model is all wrong. It should be like the wi-fi in Starbucks. It's free for customers (or members), and only available to customers (or members). I think charging stations ought to be a marketing dream come true for the right kind of business. You plug in and are forced to spend time (and hopefully money) at that location. You invest a dollar's worth of electricity, and extract 5 times that in profit from the customer. Instead of retailers letting some third party install and maintain the station, they should install them themselves and only let customers charge there, and do it for free. If I had a retail business, that's what I'd do. If you are stuck somewhere and have to charge... plug in and go spend some money and they will turn the charger on for you.

I think 49 cents per KWH is way too expensive just for some electrons... especially If I am going into that store and spending money while I wait..

Back