600 Leaf's Bound for the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueSL said:
I know they do not load the ships in anything like VIN order, but that spread is not far from 600.
Could be quite possible that the last ship also had about 600 Leafs on it, no? Or are you suggesting that they are enabling Carwings before the get on the ship in Japan now?

I checked the dashboard a few times since the earthquake to see if my leaf was delayed, and was quite surprised on Sunday to see that it was moved up (back) to "month of April" again. This implies to me that it must be "on the boat".

drees said:
Could be quite possible that the last ship also had about 600 Leafs on it, no? Or are you suggesting that they are enabling Carwings before the get on the ship in Japan now?

Drees, I am hoping you are right!

MODERATOR: We need more board members to update the spreadsheet. Would it be possible to allow Turbo to "blast email" the line entry makers and ask them for current order data? The gaps among entries are getting pretty conspicuous. Or perhaps the chart could be sorted just to show data entered in the last 21 days, with all other lines excluded? You would have a smaller sample, but the data would have higher reliability. Just a suggestion.

Due to the way that our LEAF went missing, I was given a peek behind the Nissan curtain of when VIN's are assigned. I was told that USA VIN's "can be" assigned within 24 hours of arrival in port but never before. I suspect it has something to do maritime trade regulations and territorial waters from the terms they used. Anyways, right on cue, I was assigned my VIN the morning Nissan said I would. Our car was on the Luna Spirit which then docked 20 hours later. Like others have stated. If you have a VIN assigned, your car is within the USA. Congratulations and Congratulations to the 600 owners who's cars will arrive in a couple weeks :!:

GroundLoop said:
drees said:
richard said:
He's also an eTec customer in San Diego. Nissan had obligations to deliver early cars to the eTec/Ecotality project.
That's not it - many of the late Jan '11 orders are not EV project vehicles.

My only concern is that the CA rebate funds will run out before some of us early adopters get their Leafs. That's it. Otherwise I could care less about the exact delivery sequence...

And, conversely, I am also a San Diego eTec order (4/20 reservation, September order month), and I'm still in the unweeked month of May for delivery.

I don't understand why so many late orders seem to be jumping to the front of the line. That's more than can be explained by orphan-substitution. I am starting to think Nissan just tossed out the whole "in order" process and said screw it, they'll all get them by May anyway.
And I'm a 4/20 reservation, 10/7 order (RAQ'd on 10/1, took a while to order), Month of April delivery guy. And eTec/EV Project too.

The random number generator function is working well.

BlueSL said:
Or perhaps the chart could be sorted just to show data entered in the last 21 days, with all other lines excluded? You would have a smaller sample, but the data would have higher reliability. Just a suggestion.
Anyone can download the sheet to sort the data as they see fit

drees said:
BrianSanDiego said:
Okay, if you say so. But I have VIN #1053 assigned which seems high for a early March port delivery.
(Please fix your quoting in your previous post)

No - your VIN is right in line with everyone else's early April deliveries which would have arrived in port in early March. If you have a VIN, your car has made it to Long Beach.

I'm more curious as to how you (and number of others) who reserved in July '10 and ordered in late January '11 managed to early April delivery dates - well ahead of many people who reserved on April 20 '10 and ordered in late Sept '10 who have estimated May delivery dates. My questions/chats with Nissan have gone unanswered - they say they need one of these people to speak with them so they can look up their information.

+1!

LEAFfan said:
They don't manufacturer them in VIN order either.
How do they manufacture them?

I can imagine if VINs #001,#002,and #003 are going down the assembly line, and #002 gets pulled for some QC, they're not going to come out in order. But are they in order going in?

richard said:
LEAFfan said:
They don't manufacturer them in VIN order either.
How do they manufacture them?

I can imagine if VINs #001,#002,and #003 are going down the assembly line, and #002 gets pulled for some QC, they're not going to come out in order. But are they in order going in?

The VIN appears in multiple places on a car, not just on that little metal placard on the dash. I would be surprised if the cars were not made in number order, but if you can explain how this happens, I would be interested to learn.

TRONZ said:
Due to the way that our LEAF went missing, I was given a peek behind the Nissan curtain of when VIN's are assigned. I was told that USA VIN's "can be" assigned within 24 hours of arrival in port but never before. I suspect it has something to do maritime trade regulations and territorial waters from the terms they used. Anyways, right on cue, I was assigned my VIN the morning Nissan said I would. Our car was on the Luna Spirit which then docked 20 hours later. Like others have stated. If you have a VIN assigned, your car is within the USA. Congratulations and Congratulations to the 600 owners who's cars will arrive in a couple weeks :!:
Thank you VERY much for that insight (no pun intended) TRONZ. That tidbit corroborates what the dealer told me, too.
And . . . since we got VIN'ed about TEN DAYS ago :eek: . . . . WHOOO HOOO !!
If history repeats itself, I will NOT be driving the 100,000 mile Prius to the next Leaf get-together.
:p
(more than) 600 Leafs ! ! . . . . WOW . . . now THAT's what I call Spring! There may be hope for all you other folks, just around the bend.

If you check the website for "how things works" it states:

"The last six digits, 12 through 17, are production sequence numbers, although small manufacturers that make fewer than 500 cars per year use the 12th, 13th and 14th digits as additional manufacturer identification codes. Production sequence numbers identify the vehicle itself, sort of like a serial number.

Since each manufacturer has a different code, and each car produced by the same factory has its own production sequence number, every car produced in a given year has a unique VIN."

Reading the discussion on the order of VIN, the phrase "production sequence numbers" leads me to believe there is some logic to the numbering system by the auto manufacturer. If this is the case, then the cars are numbered in sequence as they are built, but shipments of the LEAF are not in sequence to the US because some stay in Japan, others to Europe and to anonymous buyers. Just wanted to add to the confusion.

edatoakrun said:
drees said:
No - your VIN is right in line with everyone else's early April deliveries which would have arrived in port in early March. If you have a VIN, your car has made it to Long Beach.

So, are you saying that when these 600+LEAFs in this shipment arrive, 600+ buyers will get VINs?

And are many (?) of those LEAFs with delivery dates in April and May, but no VINs yet, probably on other ships, that left port in Japan prior to 3/10?

Hopefully it is not just wishful thinking on my part but some of us that that ordered in October with April then May delivery are among the 600, Like Kataphn, Drees, MaryC, and myself.

I hope this is the reason Nissan sent me a email to go down to the dealer and arrange financing-trade in of our car :D

1051 said:
Hopefully it is not just wishful thinking on my part but some of us that that ordered in October with April then May delivery are among the 600, Like Kataphn, Drees, MaryC, and myself.

Count me as one of those October orders/hopefully May deliveries, but I can't stand to get my hopes up!

mark13 said:
I hope this is the reason Nissan sent me a email to go down to the dealer and arrange financing-trade in of our car :D
Pretty amazing considering that you only ordered 2 months ago. Perhaps you could update the spreadsheet with your details? I see a lot of AZ residents who will be jealous and hoping their Leafs also come in early!

RevBrent said:
1051 said:
Count me as one of those October orders/hopefully May deliveries, but I can't stand to get my hopes up!
I am cautiously optimistic that basically the entire list will clear out with 600 Leafs currently on the way... We shall see in appx 2 weeks when the boat docks and Carwings starts opening up... If that's the case then it's highly unlikely that the CA rebate will run out and some of us will have fretted for nothing...

1051 said:
edatoakrun said:
drees said:

So, are you saying that when these 600+LEAFs in this shipment arrive, 600+ buyers will get VINs?

And are many (?) of those LEAFs with delivery dates in April and May, but no VINs yet, probably on other ships, that left port in Japan prior to 3/10?

I sure hope so, Mitch!

drees said:
mark13 said:
Pretty amazing considering that you only ordered 2 months ago. Perhaps you could update the spreadsheet with your details? I see a lot of AZ residents who will be jealous and hoping their Leafs also come in early!

RevBrent said:
1051 said:
I am cautiously optimistic that basically the entire list will clear out with 600 Leafs currently on the way... We shall see in appx 2 weeks when the boat docks and Carwings starts opening up... If that's the case then it's highly unlikely that the CA rebate will run out and some of us will have fretted for nothing...

I totally agree with you, if we are not among the 600 i am afraid it might be a while before we get our cars, as far as I am concerned I can all wait until they take care of the immediate problems that face the Japanese people, we were in Japan for a week last summer and loved the country and the people.

Back