600 Leaf's Bound for the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shipment of more than 600 Nissan LEAFs destined for the U.S. left port in Japan on March 10, just prior to the earthquake, and will arrive as scheduled. Future impact, if any, on Nissan LEAF supply continues to being assessed.

So, which ship is that ?

Being someone that got changed from April to May, talking with my PD and looking at the delivery spreadsheet I doubt any of the 600 will be for May deliveries. My PD was expecting the March production line updates last Friday that would have likely been for the May delvieries. Now I am thinking maybe I don't want one of the first ones off the production line restart.

I don't think 600 cars will fill the May deliveries, which are almost all orders to date.

At what point in the delivery process do we see the VIN/Carwings appear? Is it when the cars leave the factory, or when they arrive at port?

GroundLoop said:
At what point in the delivery process do we see the VIN/Carwings appear? Is it when the cars leave the factory, or when they arrive at port?
When they arrive at port.

evnow said:
A shipment of more than 600 Nissan LEAFs destined for the U.S. left port in Japan on March 10, just prior to the earthquake, and will arrive as scheduled. Future impact, if any, on Nissan LEAF supply continues to being assessed.

Interesting. Carwings opened up and I got my VIN the day day, the 10th. I can only assume one of those 600+ is mine. Would explain why there are a lot of "Week of April 6th" deliveries.

BrianSanDiego said:
Interesting. Carwings opened up and I got my VIN the day day, the 10th. I can only assume one of those 600+ is mine. Would explane why there are a lot of "Week of April 6th" deliveries.
No, your car arrived in port shortly before the 10th. They estimate 4 weeks from port to delivery.

BTW - who'd you pay-off to jump ahead of people who've been waiting 3-4 months longer than you? :p

(Yes, I'm a bit envious!)

The last ship to leave Oppama was the ANDROMEDA SPIRIT before the quake. It left on 3/8 heading our way. If there was one that left on 3/10 do not know its name.

drees said:
BrianSanDiego said:
Interesting. Carwings opened up and I got my VIN the day day, the 10th. I can only assume one of those 600+ is mine. Would explane why there are a lot of "Week of April 6th" deliveries.
No, your car arrived in port shortly before the 10th. They estimate 4 weeks from port to delivery.

BTW - who'd you pay-off to jump ahead of people who've been waiting 3-4 months longer than you? :p

(Yes, I'm a bit envious!)

Okay, if you say so. But I have VIN #1053 assigned which seems high for a early March port delivery.

BrianSanDiego said:
Okay, if you say so. But I have VIN #1053 assigned which seems high for a early March port delivery.
(Please fix your quoting in your previous post)

No - your VIN is right in line with everyone else's early April deliveries which would have arrived in port in early March. If you have a VIN, your car has made it to Long Beach.

I'm more curious as to how you (and number of others) who reserved in July '10 and ordered in late January '11 managed to early April delivery dates - well ahead of many people who reserved on April 20 '10 and ordered in late Sept '10 who have estimated May delivery dates. My questions/chats with Nissan have gone unanswered - they say they need one of these people to speak with them so they can look up their information.

drees said:
I'm more curious as to how you (and number of others) who reserved in July '10 and ordered in late January '11 managed to early April delivery dates - well ahead of many people who reserved on April 20 '10 and ordered in late Sept '10 who have estimated May delivery dates. My questions/chats with Nissan have gone unanswered - they say they need one of these people to speak with them so they can look up their information.
I think it because they were matched with an orphan already in process at the time he was assigned into the sequence.

Nissan is not going to resequence everyone and match them with a different car to keep all in the original sequence. Just as if a block of front row tickets comes available the box office does not try to move everyone a few seats forward. They just sell the tickets to the next one at the window... pure luck.

smkettner said:
I think it because they were matched with an orphan already in process at the time he was assigned into the sequence.
Interesting speculation. Could be.

He's also an eTec customer in San Diego. Nissan had obligations to deliver early cars to the eTec/Ecotality project.

drees said:
No - your VIN is right in line with everyone else's early April deliveries which would have arrived in port in early March. If you have a VIN, your car has made it to Long Beach.

So, are you saying that when these 600+LEAFs in this shipment arrive, 600+ buyers will get VINs?

And are many (?) of those LEAFs with delivery dates in April and May, but no VINs yet, probably on other ships, that left port in Japan prior to 3/10?

richard said:
He's also an eTec customer in San Diego. Nissan had obligations to deliver early cars to the eTec/Ecotality project.
That's not it - many of the late Jan '11 orders are not EV project vehicles.

My only concern is that the CA rebate funds will run out before some of us early adopters get their Leafs. That's it. Otherwise I could care less about the exact delivery sequence...

smkettner said:
Nissan is not going to resequence everyone and match them with a different car to keep all in the original sequence. Just as if a block of front row tickets comes available the box office does not try to move everyone a few seats forward. They just sell the tickets to the next one at the window... pure luck.

Pure speculation. Here's a few facts that can be derived from the spreadsheet as it exists today:

The highest delivered VIN on the spreadsheet is 532.
The lowest undelivered VIN on the spreadsheet is 415.
The highest undelivered VIN on the spreadsheet is 1167 (orasidil's car).
The spread between undelivered VINs is 752.
Brian's VIN and delivery data are not yet on the spreadsheet yet (Brian? Turbo?)

I know they do not load the ships in anything like VIN order, but that spread is not far from 600.

drees said:
richard said:
That's not it - many of the late Jan '11 orders are not EV project vehicles.

My only concern is that the CA rebate funds will run out before some of us early adopters get their Leafs. That's it. Otherwise I could care less about the exact delivery sequence...

And, conversely, I am also a San Diego eTec order (4/20 reservation, September order month), and I'm still in the unweeked month of May for delivery.

I don't understand why so many late orders seem to be jumping to the front of the line. That's more than can be explained by orphan-substitution. I am starting to think Nissan just tossed out the whole "in order" process and said screw it, they'll all get them by May anyway.

Back