411 on volontary recall P1273 LEAF VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coincidence? ... finally let Nissan do our Leaf. Wham ... for the next 4 hours we tried a dozen or so attempts to get a PC or smart phone to carwings sync with our car to no avail. (Sigh) ... another Nissan afternoon I'll never get back.

I believe that one of the first steps of any firmware upgrade
is to make sure the 12v battery is well charged.

If not, disconnect the 12v battery and put it on a 12v charger.

That would explain the need to "reset" the auto-up window function.

I did not lose the auto-window-up function last summer when I disconnected the battery (to "fix" carwings). At least i don't think I did--maybe, like those self-adjusting brakes, I unwittingly reactivated it just by using it.

hill said:
Coincidence? ... finally let Nissan do our Leaf. Wham ... for the next 4 hours we tried a dozen or so attempts to get a PC or smart phone to carwings sync with our car to no avail....................................
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Leaf was updated a couple weeks ago. LEAF app on iPhone worked up until last night.

I think Nissan Corp is messing with the carwings server again. I don't believe the LEAF software update has anything to do with carwings being down again.

johnr said:
Sorry, Phil, but I really don't think what you're describing is the same thing what adric22 and I - and others - have experienced. Let me explain -

In D mode, I try to accelerate moderately - at about 1/3 or 1/2 power based on the bubble meter - but the car continues to ramp up to 100% power and stays at 100% - lessening pressure on the throttle doesn't do anything - I have to actually take my foot completely off the throttle to stop the 100% acceleration. If I didn't, I'm sure it would reach 90mph a few seconds later despite pressing the throttle barely 10% of the way.

This bug doesn't happen all the time either - the rest of the time, the pedal simply feels much more responsive - as it is designed to in D.

And, I discovered that when the car tries to do this, I can stop it by flooring the pedal briefly and then backing off - and it immediately behaves normally again.

Also, if I floor the pedal to accelerate, this bug never happens.

Now, I haven't gotten the update yet - so I have yet to see if that changes it.

This problem has been discussed at length last year. I even posted a video about it showing realtime data for TPS. It is real, and it is very repeatable.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I consider this a bug.

In D, press the throttle quickly to 30-50% from a dead stop. Watch the power meter go to max in a few seconds. Switch to eco, and then back to D without moving your foot. The power meter will now only show a few bubbles.

gasmiser1 said:
hill said:
Coincidence? ... finally let Nissan do our Leaf. Wham ... for the next 4 hours we tried a dozen or so attempts to get a PC or smart phone to carwings sync with our car to no avail....................................
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Leaf was updated a couple weeks ago. LEAF app on iPhone worked up until last night.

I think Nissan Corp is messing with the carwings server again. I don't believe the LEAF software update has anything to do with carwings being down again.
Oh! ok thanks then ... weird co-inkydink then - as I'd just did a carwings charge/check just as our leaf entered the service bay. I just checked, and it's still down. Too bad all those carwings emails can't include when it's not working.
:D

Ingineer said:
I hesitate to call you a liar, but there is no way the Leaf can even reach 90mph "a few seconds later". If somehow you car can, It must have a much bigger motor/inverter than all other Leafs! I'd say take it to the Dealer immediately and call Nissan. I have not observed anything like this, and I too have the old firmware. What I have observed could seem like this if you were scared easily, but only happens in "D" and only within the first 5 seconds of accelerating. The speeds are typically under 40mph, and you definitely have to back off the throttle to prevent the car feeling like it's been launched out of a slingshot.

I have instrumentation that can read the accelerator pedal position accurately over the CAN bus. I'll take a drive sometime soon and see what ACTUAL pedal positions this occurs at.

If I am correct, you will not be able to replicate this in Eco.

-Phil
Ok, to be fair I didn't actually let it get to 90 in this manner, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't. And yes, this behavior is exhibited only in D mode. Maybe like you said, some cars have the problem and others don't. What do you think could be causing it (assuming I'm correct that this is a very real issue)? Could be caused by interference to the hall effect signal from the throttle, perhaps due to slightly different placement of components? But then, it is interesting that flooring it momentarily resets the runaway behavior.

Anyway, I see no need to bring it to the dealer, as I've always considered this just a quirk rather than a safety issue.

Got my software update done today and all is well and working as expected. I have noticed that the font on the a/c messages appear larger than before. For ex, climate off message. Can someone check or me......

Ian B

Probably an error in the firmware that calculates the % of power/speed/torque change to ramp to when a sudden pedal increase is detected in "D". When the initial speed is zero, the calculation probably accidently produces "full ON" as a target to ramp to.

I never noticed the runaway accel before, but I looked for it this morning and can confirm that my car exhibits it too. Seems to ramp proportionally to how much you press. At one light I *very* lightly touched the pedal (but did it quickly). It took longer, but I did eventually get to 80kW power to the motor.

I think Ingineer mentioned that the throttle was simply proportional to torque (which is proporitonal to the motor current). If so, this is expected behavior. Since power is torque X rpm, if you hold constant torque/current, the power will increase linearly with speed. What is weird, though is why when you are cruising already at speed, the same throttle position reaches equilibrium at a lower power output.

I was capturing a can log a the time so I will try to ferret out the actual throttle position and power as registered on the can bus tonight and see if we can actually quantify these observations.

TickTock said:
I never noticed the runaway accel before, but I looked for it this morning and can confirm that my car exhibits it too. Seems to ramp proportionally to how much you press. At one light I *very* lightly touched the pedal (but did it quickly). It took longer, but I did eventually get to 80kW power to the motor. I was capturing a can log a the time so I will try to ferret out the actual throttle position as registered on the can bus tonight.

please put future comments to this thread.... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got my update today. Stadium Nissan. in Seattle, was kind enough to come to my downtown work location and update my TCU. They also brought some touchup paint that I brought from the parts dept. The update took about 30 min start to finish. He initially had trouble reading the VIN from the car, but after we disconnected the trickle charger, it succeeded. Everything else went fine. I did notice that as he was packing up his tools, he hit the button for the window auto up and it worked. He didn’t have to disconnect the 12v battery, so I guess that should be expected. While doing the update, his Consult looked to the (internet / dealership server / cell phone data connection) to make sure that the file to be uploaded was the most current one. His Consult offered to use local WiFi, but he preferred whatever his other wireless network was.

My tech in particular was a little hesitant in the way he spoke – I suspect that he does not often talk directly with customers – but he operated the Consult like a pro. He knew it forwards and backwards. He also mentioned that Nissan is still not letting them have free reign on how they fix Leafs. If anything needs replaced, they have to get the engineer’s ok before they do it. He even said that they have been unable to release cars back to the customer until the engineer gives the ok. I personally am encouraged by this level of commitment from Nissan and it strengthens my support of Nissan too.

One final interesting thing is that he said that some drivers in Phoenix(?) have started to see the top bar of capacity meter go away, mostly because of the heat there. That is as close as I can remember of what he said and I give the Phoenix part about 80% accuracy rating. I haven’t seen any other reports along those lines – has anyone else?

**Edited to add City**

If true, that would be most disappointing since that would be a nearly 15% loss in only a year at most...

Loving me lease!!! :lol:
FairwoodRed said:
One final interesting thing is that he said that some drivers in Phoenix(?) have started to see the top bar of capacity meter go away, mostly because of the heat there.

TomT said:
If true, that would be most disappointing since that would be a nearly 15% loss in only a year at most...

Loving me lease!!! :lol:
FairwoodRed said:
One final interesting thing is that he said that some drivers in Phoenix(?) have started to see the top bar of capacity meter go away, mostly because of the heat there.

It would be more useful if we also knew the mileage on these cars, not just how old they were.

Hello,
So I noticed that the dash and CW (M/kWh) displays are in agreement now. This is the first I have seen. Usually the dash display reports a lower figure.

Still looking for that GOM improvement.

FairwoodRed said:
It would be most useful if we could confirm the loss first...

Seriously! I would think if something like 15%@12mo loss was going on, MNL would be lit up like a Christmas tree over it. I would suspect a tech was just yanking the chain of an EV owner after paying for a fill up. I say wait and see.

Back