2nd LEAF in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREENEV said:
dgpcolorado said:
GREENEV said:
IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Should I be charged sales tax on the MSRP or the sales subtotal(price after tax rebate taken out)?????????????????

My sales tax on $38,100 MSRP = $1890.86
My sales tax on $30,600(after rebate)= $ $1530.00
I can't speak for the Front Range, but I paid just the 2.9% state sales tax (and not the 2% county sales tax here). Sales tax is on the total purchase price, the federal tax credit is irrelevant. However, if you are leasing, that might well be different. That would be a question for the DMV office or county clerk and recorder, depending on how car registrations are handled in Denver.

I talked to two dealers and each said the buyer is responsible for paying state and county sales tax(where you live). Highlands Ranch is now 5.0% TOTAL.
I suggest you contact whatever agency you use to register the car in your city/county. My friends at the county clerk's office here have been doing this a long, long time and I have no reason to think that they don't know the state law on such things. Again: if you buy out-of-county you pay only state sales tax. If you buy in-county you pay state and county sales tax. If you buy in the same city as your residence you pay state, county, and city sales tax. It all depends on the location of the dealer and the home address where the car will be registered. This sales tax is usually paid at time of registration. If you get information to the contrary from your local county clerk I'd like to hear it.

GREENEV said:
QUESTION: I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet in the forum somewhere.....................

Why does my dashboard currently state 3.7m/kw and the main status screen indicates 3.8m/kw???????????

I thought they were sync'd?
No. The dash display is based on the odometer. The Carwings console display is thought to be based on GPS mileage. They are usually (always?) a tenth or two off, with Carwings reading higher. There is some discussion of this in other threads here.

You might want to keep the dash one uncleared for an overall look at efficiency and then clear the console one for trips. I clear my dash display once a month to get a monthly average of miles/kWh because I want to see how it changes seasonally. Since I have a meter on the wall I can also get a "wall" miles/kWh with which to compare it.

GREENEV said:
Guess what?
Stopped by the Walgreen's in highlands ranch at corner of S.Quebec st and university(lincoln) last night and to no avail there she was, a beautiful chargepoint Level 2 evse shining bright with a bright blue led light.

Plugged in this weekend, GREENEV!

I thought I'd need a ChargePoint card to turn on the juice, but it wasn't necessary. I simply plugged in and started charging. It couldn't have been easier.

I made a special effort to find the Manager and thank him/Walgreens for their support of EVs!

The Blue LED lights you mention above, turn Green when charging! Extremely Cool!

I encourage you, and the other Colorado Leafers, to plug in and enjoy.

Yep I've done he same thing to a few different Walgreens up in my area too. Another perk is the car automatically registers their location to the onboard charging location database for future reference (although I use my iPhone instead). Still pretty cool.

AmpUpCO said:
GREENEV said:
Guess what?
Stopped by the Walgreen's in highlands ranch at corner of S.Quebec st and university(lincoln) last night and to no avail there she was, a beautiful chargepoint Level 2 evse shining bright with a bright blue led light.

Plugged in this weekend, GREENEV!

I thought I'd need a ChargePoint card to turn on the juice, but it wasn't necessary. I simply plugged in and started charging. It couldn't have been easier.

I made a special effort to find the Manager and thank him/Walgreens for their support of EVs!

The Blue LED lights you mention above, turn Green when charging! Extremely Cool!

I encourage you, and the other Colorado Leafers, to plug in and enjoy.

I know of these Walgreens with L2:

120th & Sheridan
120th & Colorado
104th just east of Colorado

Still looking and hoping for more up north.

GREENEV said:
Very cool. Thanks for the feedback.

What other Walgreen's have L2 chargers that you know of?

Revenge of the Electric Car is officially out today on DVD. Getting mine :)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072090_revenge-of-the-electric-car-available-on-dvd-from-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have opened up a thread on MyNissanLeaf.com site to have the location for our 1st Denver Colorado Leaf Meet-Up. It can be found here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Walgreens... L2 charging stations finder application.

Sorry if this is a repeat, however after talking to one of the Walgreens Corporate offices here locally, the admin told me about a neat search tool on Walgreens.com.

If you go to http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/find.jsp?tab=store%20locator&requestType=locator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
choose show more services
then you have the ability to select EV Charging Stations
Now enter your zip, OR city, state and click on Find A Store .....
Pretty neat....

Now to start putting these into PlugShare :D

Attachments

• Walgreens L2 search.jpg
    Walgreens L2 search.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 56
xiaoyu80305 said:
"For vehicles purchased on or after January 1, 2010, the cost used in the computations described above must be
reduced by any credits, grants, or rebates, including federal credits, grants, or rebates for which the purchaser is
eligible."

Thanks, I saw this statement on the page 2 under "Computation of Credit - for 2010 and 2011" (last paragraph). Right now we need the new figure of Incremental price difference for 2012 Leaf. Could we use 2011 figure adding the price increase to be 2012 figure? I have sent an email to IRS of Colorado. I will update the information as soon as I received answer.[/quote]

After a long waiting, I finally got an answer from state, which is a surprising result!!!
1) from state: Response Kathy via Email 01/20/2012 01:31 PM Please see information below from one of our tax examiners.
The 2012 Nissan Leaf purchased in 2011 will be allowed a $6,000.00 credit
2) from me: Customer Xiaoyu Li via CSS Web 01/20/2012 04:41 PM Does Federal tax credit play any roll in the state tax credit? Did you really understand my questions?
3) from state: Response Kathy via Email 01/23/2012 08:31 AM The Federal IRS and State are separate credits one has nothing to do with the other. For information on the IRS you must contact the IRS. The credit below is the credit for State Alternative Fuel.

What do you think?

Just wish the State would publish exactly what we can use for the 2012 Leaf that was purchased in 2011.

I would like to use the valuation that was stated to you in the State's email to you however, I am not sure if would hold up for me... since it wasn't directed to me.

Anyway, did they say that they would publish the amount that can be used in figuring out the 2011 taxes?

xiaoyu80305 said:
xiaoyu80305 said:
"For vehicles purchased on or after January 1, 2010, the cost used in the computations described above must be
reduced by any credits, grants, or rebates, including federal credits, grants, or rebates for which the purchaser is
eligible."

Thanks, I saw this statement on the page 2 under "Computation of Credit - for 2010 and 2011" (last paragraph). Right now we need the new figure of Incremental price difference for 2012 Leaf. Could we use 2011 figure adding the price increase to be 2012 figure? I have sent an email to IRS of Colorado. I will update the information as soon as I received answer.
After a long waiting, I finally got an answer from state, which is a surprising result!!!
1) from state: Response Kathy via Email 01/20/2012 01:31 PM Please see information below from one of our tax examiners.
The 2012 Nissan Leaf purchased in 2011 will be allowed a $6,000.00 credit
2) from me: Customer Xiaoyu Li via CSS Web 01/20/2012 04:41 PM Does Federal tax credit play any roll in the state tax credit? Did you really understand my questions?
3) from state: Response Kathy via Email 01/23/2012 08:31 AM The Federal IRS and State are separate credits one has nothing to do with the other. For information on the IRS you must contact the IRS. The credit below is the credit for State Alternative Fuel.

What do you think?
I think Kathy is either wrong or didn't understand the question.

Even subtracting the Federal tax credit the state credit ought to be the max $6000 if the comparable vehicle used is a 2012 Nissan Versa. I can't see how the LEAF is more comparable to anything else.

I've been wondering if we need to submit documentation about the LEAF purchase with the tax forms. I usually just file using the on-line forms and don't know if that will be enough this year since there doesn't seem to be any way to add additional documentation.

I am contemplating purchasing the Leaf out of state and transporting it to Colorado.

I have a few questions:

I understand that I must title and register in Col. to get the Col. state tax credit.
Have read where posters have purchased out of state and received this Col. tax credit.

I am attempting to understand the mechanics and logistics of purchasing a Leaf out of state
and receiving the credit.
Example: buying in Ca. from Fontana or Mossy.

It is my understanding that to get the Col. credit, it has to be titled and registered in Col.
I assume that the dealer will give me a bill of sale, MSO(manufacturer's certificate of origin) and the temporary tags(transport permit) when purchased.

Also regarding the tax issue: I assume I would not pay Ca. taxes; how is that possible if purchased there?
Also in this msg. thread somewhere(I believe) it says I pay Col. sales tax of 2.9%(it said there is a state law that if you purchased out of state, one only pays the state sales tax and not the county and city sales tax!?!?)

I would appreciate being enlightened on as much detail as you can provide on this subject.

Thank you :eek:

2011 Leaf had only around $4000 in credit due to the limitation. We gotta hear from John Doty on this. 2012 should get the full $6000 since it's way more than $2000 higher in MSRP.

Nate

nater said:
2011 Leaf had only around $4000 in credit due to the limitation. We gotta hear from John Doty on this. 2012 should get the full $6000 since it's way more than $2000 higher in MSRP.

Nate
Has someone already contact him?

The credit is capped at $6,000 for the following: alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs), AFV conversions, HEVs, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), PHEV conversions, idle reduction technologies, and power source replacements; there is no cap on natural gas and propane vehicle conversions. Beginning in 2012, the cap on PHEV conversions increases to $7,500. Individuals who claimed a tax credit in previous years for the purchase of a Model Year 2004 or newer HEV may be eligible to claim an additional credit for the conversion of the same vehicle to a PHEV. Credits claimed in tax years 2010 and 2011 for Category 3 and Category 4 vehicles that permanently replace vehicles or power sources at least 12 years old are eligible for 1.25 times the percentages displayed above, up to 100%. Credits generated in 2010 or 2011 that exceed the tax due are refundable but cannot be carried forward. Used vehicles may qualify with proof that the prior owners did not claim the tax credit. For additional information, see the Department of Revenue's Income 9 FYI publication.

(Reference House Bill 1018, 2011, and Colorado Revised Statutes 39-22-516)

Point of Contact
John Doty
Manager, Sales Tax Administration Unit
Colorado Department of Revenue
Phone: (303) 205-8211 x6889
[email protected]

If Leaf purchased out of state,

when it is titled and registered in Colorado,

Does one pay just the 2.9% state tax or is there also county and city tax?

Is there a state law regarding this and if so can you please give a link to it?

TIA

Back