2015 Feb Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1198 - Total 6753

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Zythryn said:
The i3 continues to impress me as a relative newcomer.
I suspect their marketing of the Fun of an EV is paying off.
I continue to be baffled by its sales success, given its price/value ratio, but then I'm not someone who's willing to pay an extra $10 grand just for the propeller and kidneys.
I drove one for 3 days and my wife and I both liked it more than the Leaf. And there is more difference than just the grille (being a BMW) For one obvious thing, it performs much better than a Leaf. In fact, when flooring it at certain speeds, it can be downright scary. (I can't imagine the Tesla P85D) But for us the absolute most important thing was the option of the Rex. I wouldn't buy an i3 without the Rex because that is what makes it a great car, IMO. I know some people poo-poo on the Rex saying it is crippled, or whatever. But we drove it around an entire day on the Rex both in the city and on the highway. It performed flawlessly. And being the number of gas stations around, it really does completely eliminate range anxiety compared to the Leaf, despite the small gas tank. This is especially important in areas like ours that have zero CCS fast charge stations.

adric22 said:
I know some people poo-poo on the Rex saying it is crippled, or whatever.
The one I read was having trouble crossing Rt 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz. That road is steep and winding and they reported having difficulty getting above 25 MPH. Fort Worth is much flatter, so I can see you would have a different experience.

RegGuheert said:
adric22 said:
The one I read was having trouble crossing Rt 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz. That road is steep and winding and they reported having difficulty getting above 25 MPH. Fort Worth is much flatter, so I can see you would have a different experience.
Yes, the REx is crippled for west coast use because of the terrain. In the flatlands it might be ok.

But my real crib with REx is that they crippled it just to get ZEV credits i.e. they put ZEV credits above customers.

evnow said:
But my real crib with REx is that they crippled it just to get ZEV credits i.e. they put ZEV credits above customers.
But can you really blame BMW for that? Perhaps the CARB schemes need some rethinking.

I purposely took it up the Grape Vine and Hwy 2 here and it was very scary. I was being passed by everything! And you constantly pay a penalty in range and efficiency dragging that thing around...

RegGuheert said:
adric22 said:

RegGuheert said:
evnow said:
But can you really blame BMW for that? Perhaps the CARB schemes need some rethinking.
Sure they need rethinking, but it was BMW who lobbied CARB to establish the BEVx category, not CARB imposing it on BMW. We've now learned that they didn't decrease the physical size of the already too small 2.4 gal. tank to 1.9 gal. to get the REx range down below the AER, just did so electronically (and there's a hack for that, along with a hold mode), but it's still a lousy move from the customer's perspective.

adric22 said:
And being the number of gas stations around, it really does completely eliminate range anxiety compared to the Leaf, despite the small gas tank. This is especially important in areas like ours that have zero CCS fast charge stations.

Then hardly much utility over your 2012 Volt, right?

RegGuheert said:
Yes, we should blame BMW. Afterall BMW should be able to sell enough BEV i3 for their compliance needs. There is no need for i3 REx to try to grab some gold credits.

+1 It was BMW alone that pushed for this cockamamie scheme!

evnow said:
RegGuheert said:
Yes, we should blame BMW. Afterall BMW should be able to sell enough BEV i3 for their compliance needs. There is no need for i3 REx to try to grab some gold credits.

Back