2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my latest results , notice this is up from 63 AH and 97% .

Screenshot_2015-10-21-09-12-46.png

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Those are some nice #'s, o00scorpion00o. What's your GIDs and kWh at 100%?

I failed to get those details when I took this screenshot unfortunately. But when I get back to work Monday I will get this data, I won't be using it much over the weekend so I leave it sit around 30-35%.

A 2014 I ran leaf spy on back in February had 18,000 miles, 67 ah and 100% health. So the change to the battery must have come with the updated leaf in July 2013 ? and not forgetting the 2013 U.K leaf Taxi with over 100,000 miles with 90% capacity.

I also ran leaf spy on a 2011 with 38,000 miles recently and had about 83% capacity.

I have almost the same number of GID (277) with 59AH. I would not worry yet.
The AH seems to move a lot. Check this graph from another 2015 car. Also most of the 2013
cars seems to age better than the early 2011 and 2012.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nr0aUIgmg24ulDim6VXFNmwRnYxollP6rYDcDsdy29w/edit#gid=1238788944

2015-10_SL_manu_bat.png

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Yeah, give it some more time, and more charge cycles, and then see how it reads. Your cells look all right.

Is it typical #'s will increase? Or is it a baseline that can hold steady?

csleaf said:
Just bought new last week. Still trying to get a sense of the #'s but these seemingly are low for 100% charge. Does it take awhile to balance out?

Miles: 298
GIDs: 271
kWh: 21.0
SOC: 96.9
SOH: 92
Hx: 88.48
AHr: 57.74
Avg Batt Temp: 63.1

you are not the first person who had ultra low batt stats right away. Wondering if the 3 fast charges and 50 miles that were on my LEAF really mattered that much? (My dealer did a trade with Tacoma Nissan to get my color and trim choice. they are 28 miles away so car had to be driven over.

but mine were

SOC; 97.3
Hx 102ish
GIDs 284
kwh 22.7
ahr 67.36

and this was on a 2013. now, mine build date was 11/13 and I picked it up on 12/23/13 so it was just over a month old at the most.

csleaf said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Yeah, give it some more time, and more charge cycles, and then see how it reads. Your cells look all right.

Is it typical #'s will increase? Or is it a baseline that can hold steady?

What's your charging habit ?

I would use the fast charger about 10 times as much as possible to 80% of you can or use the 6.6 Kw charger if you have it.

I find that higher current charging seems to bring the AH reported by leaf spy up, do that and report back, it would be interesting to see if it climbs back up.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
You have about the same miles as me, but about twice the L2s and three times the QCs. I wonder how that factors into it.

Well strangely I do think that higher current charging keeps the AH reading up and also the Gids.

I haven't used a DC charger is about 3-4 weeks now but I got 32 amp charging at work and have the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf and I've noticed since charging at 6.6 Kw the numbers have gone up again.

This is a strange battery. I wonder is the chemistry the same as the 2016 30 Kwh ?

o00scorpion00o said:

I would use the fast charger about 10 times as much as possible to 80% of you can or use the 6.6 Kw charger if you have it.

I find that higher current charging seems to bring the AH reported by leaf spy up, do that and report back, it would be interesting to see if it climbs back up.

So far about 8 L1 charges at home, 2 L2 and 3 L3 around town. Waiting for L2 to arrive to get that going at home and get a regular charging routine set up. Sounds like I should drive down to 30% and charge up from there to 100% for awhile and see how battery responds.

csleaf said:
o00scorpion00o said:

So far about 8 L1 charges at home, 2 L2 and 3 L3 around town. Waiting for L2 to arrive to get that going at home and get a regular charging routine set up. Sounds like I should drive down to 30% and charge up from there to 100% for awhile and see how battery responds.

there is evidence that deeper cycling of the battery gives higher numbers. My numbers have roughly a 5-7% range depending on my driving patterns. here are two blog entries that mention it.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09/manipulating-battery-stats.html
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/10/battery-stats-part-two.html

but it seems like the BMS will open up more of the battery when it feels you might need it. Now this is probably a reach and I don't put a lot of stock into GIDs, or Hx. But I also see jumps in kwh available which should directly correlate to the range available. Variances in routes, traffic and driving conditions makes it impossible to really gauge the range gained (My lease mileage is simply too precious right now to do anything other than "real" driving) or lost on my highs and lows so best bet if you need to stretch your range is to plan ahead.

Use LEAF Spy to monitor your progress from the beginning of the trip. On a trip of 80 miles you should have calculated your total range at least once 20 miles into the trip. ALWAYS make sure you have a buffer (I like 5 miles but have done trips with buffers as low as 2 miles...)

One method I use for calculating range (and the easiest) is set your miles/kwh in LEAF Spy to a value of say 2% SOC. I use different values for Summer, Winter, and Rain (which also doubles for things like heater use, heavy defrost, etc...) Now this will take some trial and error to get the numbers that work for you (which is why I am not posting mine since they likely only work for me)

Simply start out (don't use any calculations until you have gone a least 10-15 miles since very early calculations are usually the most inaccurate) on a trip of decent length (at least 70 miles or so) checking your total range and buffer distance. adjust your miles/kwh accordingly. Soon you will find most of your driving will fall into a certain range for certain conditions. As always, evaluate the day and determine if the conditions are better or worse for efficiency.

The more you learn about your LEAF, the less you have range anxiety. Soon you will be to the point that 5 mins with Google maps will tell you if your trip is LEAFable or not

I rarely deep cycle the leaf, I rarely go below 30-40% now especially with work charging.

Since I'm on 32 amp charging at work the numbers have climbed which is the same effect I noticed by using the ChaDeMo.

I just don't notice the same effect charging at home at only 16 amps.

DaveinOlyWA said:
there is evidence that deeper cycling of the battery gives higher numbers. My numbers have roughly a 5-7% range depending on my driving patterns. here are two blog entries that mention it.
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09/manipulating-battery-stats.html
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/10/battery-stats-part-two.html

Thanks for sharing those links. Very useful reading for a new Leaf owner!

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Those are some nice #'s, o00scorpion00o. What's your GIDs and kWh at 100%?

Ok got this data this morning after a full charge, not bad after almost 14,000 miles ?

2b5b936a-df2d-49fb-8a0f-8565eebb58f5.png

AH has dropped by about 1 since my last reading but will climb back up again this week with use.

48b68400-b0aa-47da-8329-0abc8462ed33.png

I usually charge on a ChargePoint L2 at work, which I guess is 208V because it never draws more than 5.5 kW. At 100%, I got a reading the other day at : 281 GIDs, 59.86 Ahr

Today, I got there with 40 GIDs left, added 20 kWh over 5 hrs, and it read: 291 GIDs, 61.87 Ahr

Back