2013 Oct. Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2002 PIP 2095

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
The way it is going Spark EV might end up being the plugin with the lowest sales this year.

This month might be the 2nd best month ever for plugins after the record breaking August - if Ford sells at least 1300 plugins.

that would suck especially considering they only need to sell 41 a month to beat Honda

Ford should be way over that. for all its drawbacks, they are definitely on the right track with the Energi's. if the price cuts would have come sooner my Sister would be driving a Fusion Energi instead of a hybrid

Now, if they could just solve their dreadful reliability problems with the Energi and C-Max... It doesn't help sales being dead last in the latest CR reliability list that came out a couple of weeks ago...
CR has even stopped recommending them until they see an increase in reliability... A friend has a 2013 Escape ICE and it has had a litany of all kinds of problems...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ford should be way over that. for all its drawbacks, they are definitely on the right track with the Energi's. if the price cuts would have come sooner my Sister would be driving a Fusion Energi instead of a hybrid

TomT said:
Now, if they could just solve their dreadful reliability problems with the Energi and C-Max... It doesn't help sales being dead last in the latest CR reliability list that came out a couple of weeks ago...
CR has even stopped recommending them until they see an increase in reliability... A friend has a 2013 Escape ICE and it has had a litany of all kinds of problems...

DaveinOlyWA said:

ya, its alarming how quickly things turn. in a rush to get new innovations to market, I think auto manufacturers are cutting corners with some of the non critical R & D. It was only a few years ago that Ford was widely regarded as the best American Car Manufacturer.

But the new tranny's Ford put out have not done well. First it was the Fiesta then the Focus shifting issues and now the Escape; first year of a major remodel and it has really flopped...

As for Ford, the C-Max Energi sold 1,092 last month. That's the first time it has exceeded 1,000 units, and it brings the total through October to 5,386.

The Ford Fusion Energi delivered 1.087 as well, also its highest-ever total and the first month in which more than 1,000 units have been sold. Its 2013 total to date is 4,428.
Finally, the Focus Electric October number was 115, bringing its year's total to 1,450.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1088113_plug-in-electric-car-sales-for-oct-volt-leaf-hold-steady" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smkettner said:
I always thought the FFEV would have killed LEAF on looks alone.
Having produced a series of "Prius Killers" - now Detroit is going to make a series of Leaf Killers ;)

http://insideevs.com/for-the-first-time-ford-is-the-top-monthly-seller-of-plug-ins-in-october-fusion-energi-sets-a-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top selling manufacturers in the US for October 2013:
1) Ford 2,294 (C-Max Energi – 1,093, Fusion Energi – 1,087, Focus Electric – 115)
2) Toyota 2,186 (Prius PHV – 2,095, RAV4 EV – 91)
3) Chevrolet 2,088 (Volt – 2,022, Spark EV- 66)
4) Nissan 2,002 (LEAF)
5) Tesla 800* (Model S – estimated)

smkettner said:
Suprised just 800 estimated for Tesla. I thought Tesla was 1500+ per month and preselling all that can be built.
I think those are USA only numbers. See: http://insideevs.com/october-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correct, or more specifically, 800 is their estimate for US sales.

Close to 700 were registered in Norway in September alone. I believe about 200 in October.

Tomorrow is Tesla's quarterly call. We'll get an idea how close they are to the estimates for last quarter.

It is interesting that Ford takes top place for plug-in vehicles sold. I suspect they are selling those Energi models to customers who walk into the dealerships thinking about buying a Fusion or Cmax. Thus they are cannibalizing sales of their other models. Not that this is a bad thing if they are making a profit on the energi models. In fact, I hope that is actually the case because I would hate to think people are buying these cars instead of buying a Volt or Leaf. So this does help more plug-ins get on the roads.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^^^ Just about every ev/plugin sale cannibalizes an ICE vehicle sale somewhere. Maybe someday they will all be cannibalized.
I'm not sure you could say that. My wife and I would probably still be driving our two Prii if it weren't for the introduction of plug-in vehicles.

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
The way it is going Spark EV might end up being the plugin with the lowest sales this year.
This month might be the 2nd best month ever for plugins after the record breaking August - if Ford sells at least 1300 plugins.
Shouldn't the thread title be: 2013 Oct. Plugin Sales Discussion : PIP 2095 Volt 2022 ;)

Wonder if they are holding the production (and shipping to USA) back until the DCFC option is available (after all spec and OEM equip can be tested).
I suspect it's more a matter of demand. As we get closer and closer to availablility of the CCS option, people who are on the fence are more likely to hold off. It's probably just 6 weeks or so now, so why not wait? I expect there's a good chance of a further drop for November and then dropping to next to nothing in December until the CCS cars are available, when sales will spike. And only after that will we see what the ultimate sales potential of the car is (partly determined by how and where CCS QCs get installed).

GRA said:
I suspect it's more a matter of demand. As we get closer and closer to availablility of the CCS option, people who are on the fence are more likely to hold off. It's probably just 6 weeks or so now, so why not wait? I expect there's a good chance of a further drop for November and then dropping to next to nothing in December until the CCS cars are available, when sales will spike. And only after that will we see what the ultimate sales potential of the car is (partly determined by how and where CCS QCs get installed).
It's like it's 2011 all over again! ;) :lol:

adric22 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
^^^ Just about every ev/plugin sale cannibalizes an ICE vehicle sale somewhere. Maybe someday they will all be cannibalized.
I'm not sure you could say that. My wife and I would probably still be driving our two Prii if it weren't for the introduction of plug-in vehicles.
Agreed. Current gen EVs (excluding Teslas) make a lot more sense as an ICE compliment rather than a replacement. Keep your existing perfectly functional ICE vehicle for longer trips, lease an EV for local driving. That's what we did, anyway.

With fewer than 400 sold, Chevy Spark sales 'way over' GM's expectations:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/11/04/chevy-spark-sales-way-over-gm-expectations-with-fewer-than-40/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back