2013 Low Battery Capacity AHr Battery Degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
bradbissell said:
GIDS----V Max
283----4.132

Now, this is something we rarely saw in a 2011-2012 LEAF.
I had a 2013 for 3 weeks (started at 1400 miles, ended at 2800 miles) and during that whole time, every time I charged to full it was 284 gids and 97.2999% SOC. I actually watched it finish charge a few times with those two numbers pegged at 284/97.2999. The Ah capacity never budged from 67.3620Ah and the Health did drift down a tad from 110% to 108%.

stjohnh said:
GOOD NEWS !! My battery is fine, and probably those of the other people with 60-62 AHr capacity 2013 Leafs.

I ran my car to turtle (first time ever) AND Ta Da!! 28 miles from LBW to turtle, much more than predicted, which gives me total range from 100% to turtle of 90 miles at 4.0 mi/kwh.

Other VERY curious observations: as I got down around 10 gids, the energy effic meter suddenly jumped from 4.0 mi/kwh to 4.7 mi/kwh, without any change in my driving. Also, as I got below 10 gids I noticed that the miles/gid seemed a lot more than it should be. By the time I started measuring, I got 4 miles on one gid, going from 7->6 gids. Got turtle at 5 gids. The Leaf Battery app (v026) predicted 15 miles to from LBW to .6kwh (expected turtle) but I got 28 miles. I think Nissan has changed something in the programming. And I can go a lot farther per gid when gids are below 10 on my 2013 Leaf.

Also, as expected LBW came at 49gids, 18% SOC on the Leaf Dash.

Anyway, what's going on with the all this is unclear, hopefully someone can help explain.

A lot of strange things happen down in the 5-25Gid range below VLBW. Often this is when the Leaf really gets a stark look at how much charge is REALLY left. Some people might find 20 hidden miles if the car has been underestimating the capacity. Others might find they get from 25 to 5 Gids REALLY fast if the car has over-estimated the capacity. It should learn from these episodes and be more consistent from then on..

LEAFfan said:
If all that's true, then how did that one poster obtain over 90 miles to Turtle at 4.0mpkW with a 2013?

First, even though I always say 21kWh * 4 = 84 miles of range, I do that for simplicity and being slightly conservative. Of course, the 2011-2012's would do 88-89 miles with a warm, new battery, as I have done and documented many, many times at the magic 100km/hr ground speed. Unfortunately, the dash economy has proven that it can vary, and in addition, Boomer23 reported some REALLY squirrely GID performance for the last ten miles. That gives me pause to suggest that the car was really doing 4 miles/kWh.

But, steady speeds will produce a constant power drain (just like it does in planes and boats). I'd like to see Boomer23 drive the car at 100km/hr ground speed and see how far it goes.

TonyWilliams said:
But, steady speeds will produce a constant power drain (just like it does in planes and boats). I'd like to see Boomer23 drive the car at 100kW/hr ground speed and see how far it goes.
Is it more reliable to set up a constant known power drain such as running the heater and measure time and kWh usage, both from peak to turtle and recharging. Isn't that the test that Nissan runs before replacing a pack?

dm33 said:
TonyWilliams said:
But, steady speeds will produce a constant power drain (just like it does in planes and boats). I'd like to see Boomer23 drive the car at 100km/hr ground speed and see how far it goes.
Is it more reliable to set up a constant known power drain such as running the heater and measure time and kWh usage, both from peak to turtle and recharging. Isn't that the test that Nissan runs before replacing a pack?

Yes, Nissan also uses the GOM for test results concerning capacity. No thanks. If you could guarantee me that the heater will run at one exact power setting (as the voltage drops), it might be ok.

I, too have a 2013 Leaf with what appears to be a lower initial AH (60.5). Mfr date is April per the sticker inside the driver side door. My ELM with version 26c says that at 100% charge it holds 260 Gids. I have only about 2500 miles and I have never turtled it, so I don't know how many kwh the battery will take to compare it to Stoaty's spreadsheet.

Edit: HORRIBLE TYPO BY ME. Should have read 260 gids @ 100% and 206 Gids @ 80% charge.

Rauv said:
I, too have a 2013 Leaf with what appears to be a lower initial AH (60.5). Mfr date is April per the sticker inside the driver side door. My ELM with version 26c says that at 100% charge it holds 206 Gids. I have only about 2500 miles and I have never turtled it, so I don't know how many kwh the battery will take to compare it to Stoaty's spreadsheet.

WHOA! Something's wrong here. That 206 Gid sounds like a lowish reading for a 80% charge. Are you sure this was 100%?? If you are that low at 100%, something is seriously wrong. What does the ELM app report as your kWh level at 100%?

Rauv said:
I, too have a 2013 Leaf with what appears to be a lower initial AH (60.5). Mfr date is April per the sticker inside the driver side door. My ELM with version 26c says that at 100% charge it holds 206 Gids. I have only about 2500 miles and I have never turtled it, so I don't know how many kwh the battery will take to compare it to Stoaty's spreadsheet.

Hmmm. My two "low capacity" 2013 Leafs both get a little over 260 Gids at 100% charge, both show "capacity" of a little over 60 AHr on the Battery App ver .26. Puzzling why your Gids at 100% are low.

I am convinced there is some problem with the "capacity" reported for these Low Capacity 2013s.

Yesterday I drove the SV from my home, over the Santa Cruz mountains to UC Santa Cruz and back starting w 98% charge and ending a little above VLBW w 27 Gids left. Total miles=87. Eff meter listed 4.8mi/kwh. About 1/3 trip was highway at 64-65mph, 1/3 heavy traffic highway about 25-50mph, 1/3 up and down the mountains on Highway 17 to and from Santa Cruz. I'm not sure the rise and fall, but probably at least 2000 feet up and 2000 feet down each way ( 2x- to Santa Cruz and back). Anyway, considering that I had 27 Gids left, I figure that the range is at least 95miles and maybe 105 or so, from 98% charge to turtle.

Clearly my cars are not "range handicapped." It is known that some of the values reported by the car via ELM to Battery App use different programming for 2013 cars compared to 2010-2012. I suspect as all this gets sorted out, that Jim (writes the Leaf Battery App program) will find that the capacity readings for 2013 Leafs (maybe just those produced in Smyna, not Japan) will have to be calculated differently.

Those with low capacity 2013 Leafs I strongly urge you to do at least 1 range test, ending at turtle (obviously near your home). I think you will find your range a lot more than you think, especially the number of miles between VLBW and Turtle.

An aside. There is increasing evidence that the GOM for 2013 is MUCH better than for older Leafs. Before I started the trip yesterday the GOM read 97 miles. If anything, I probably could have gone a couple of miles more than that before hitting turtle.

This isn't just related to vehicles that sat on the car lots for long periods of time. My 2013 Leaf SV showed the same ~60 Ah rating the first time I hooked up my LeafDD to the car. The vehicle history was:

Manufactured: July 2013 (per sticker in door jam - this was a factory order)
Delivered to Dealer: July 26
Delivered to Me: July 27

LeafDD Ah Readings:
Aug 8 - 60.1876
Aug 9 - 60.3969 (262 gids on full charge)
Aug 10 - 61.163
Aug 11 - 61.1686 (265 gids on full charge)
Aug 15 - 61.4825 (267 gids on full charge)

As you can see, the Ah rating on mine is increasing fairly quickly as I put miles on the car. I'm at 575 miles total after the car sat idle for 5 days the day after delivery... The range is right at what I'm expecting (when looking at the SOC meter and miles traveled and comparing that to the range charts that have been posted here). I've had the car at LBW twice (both times within 1/2 mile from home) and mostly have been charging to 80% using the included "trickle charger" with the occasional charge to 100%.

Leaf Battery App 0.26c
2013 SL

Manufactured : June 13, 2013
Delivered to Dealer : July 31, 2013
Picked up by me : August 5, 2013

I installed the ODB2 and connected it to the Leaf Battery App two minutes after driving off the dealer's lot.

AHr initial: 61.36

(AHr, GIDs) after three subsequent full charges: (61.x, 268), (62.x, 271), (63.5, 276).
No full charges in the last few days. AHr has dropped to 62.94. 700 miles driven.

It seems unusual to see so many 60-61's and 67's for initial AHr's.

Could it be that owners who have abnormally high or low readings are more likely to report them, or is something else going on?

WHOA! Something's wrong here. That 206 Gid sounds like a lowish reading for a 80% charge. Are you sure this was 100%?? If you are that low at 100%, something is seriously wrong. What does the ELM app report as your kWh level at 100%?

Yes, I should have caught the typo on my cell phone prior to posting. Sorry about that. It should have read 260 Gids at 100% charge. That is still way below the low 280's that are common to everyone else in older Leafs when they were new. ELM reports my battery is 60.48 AH on the first screen at the top.

I have not done a range test or gone to turtle to see what the battery will accept (yet) but I'm convinced that some parameters in some 2013's are giving the appearance of faulty readings. Maybe someone could start a post to see if we can separate the 2013 into two camps and then determine if indeed the location of the Nissan plant played a role.

TonyWilliams said:
Boomer23 said:
If you get close to 86 miles of range at an average of 4.0 mi/kWh or 98 miles of range at 4.5 mi/kWh, you shouldn't be concerned. Assuming we can believe the dash energy economy meter (a big IF, I agree), you'll be close to 21.5 usable kWh, which we believe is what the LEAF pack holds.

Which is exactly why we do range tests at a fixed speed, hence fixed power consumption on level, no wind dry hard surface roadways, tires at 36 psi (on the Ecopias... the new Michelins might be a little off).

Then, we can see the errors more clearly. If you car was doing funny business with the low end Gids, I would not trust it to be very accurate with the economy.

If the car can drive at 100km/hr ground speed (whatever that is on your speedometer, typically 65mph) for a distance of 84 miles, then you have 21kWh useable. On the flat terrain described above, it should be 4.0 miles/kWh. But, even if the economy showed some crazy number, the fact remains that the power consumed will be a constant.

Oh, and the battery needs to be close to 70F. If it's hotter, obviously it has a wee bit more oomph.

I did a new range test today, adhering as closely as possible to Tony's recommendations without risking running out of charge on the freeway or major highway. My results confirmed several things about my 2013 May built LEAF: Full range to Turtle was 88.9 miles, dash economy display read 4.1 mi/kWh at 100 kph steady speed, calculated usable capacity same as my earlier test at 21.7 kWh, and the car still demonstrates the same previously unexpected behavior that I saw during my first Turtle run and confirmed by stjohnh on his 2013 LEAF: below 10 Gids, driving 7 miles between 10 Gids and Turtle at 5 Gids.

Details:
LEAF SL, Premium, Built May 2013, Delivered June 15, 2013, odometer mileage at start of test: 1,942 miles.
Location Irvine to Hawthorne, CA and return, Ambient temp appx 68 degrees at test start.
Tire pressures set at 36 psi cold.
Climate Control and Radio off.
Measured 100 kph from LEAF diagnostic settings screen equals 63 mph for my LEAF
Cruise control at 63 mph
ECO mode on, B mode off
Windows closed, driver only aboard
Test performed on Interstate 405 North from Irvine and return same route beginning at 8:15 AM. 8/17/2013
ELM LEAF Battery App ("LBA") used for all readings except that original genuine Gid Meter was used to check Gids at full charge and compared with LBA at beginning of test.

Beginning readings at full charge (charge begun the previous night at 2 am, no end timer set):
Gids: 268 (Gidmeter and LBA agreed)
AH: 61.8 (LBA)
Health: 95.25% (LBA)
Battery Temps: 6 Bars on dash, 82.9 F, 81.2 F, 79.0 F (LBA)

Test data:
Drove 37.7 miles to first turnaround, indicated Gids approx 140, approx 50% Gids
LBW at 67.7 miles, 49 Gids
VLBW at 75 miles
Off freeway at 77.7 miles (purposely overshot start point because I had charge remaining) and return trip to home base on surface streets, reset and maintaining second (center screen) economy meter at 4.1 mi/kWh to match dash display for remainder of trip (both displays usually match on my 2013 car, unlike my 2011 car)
10 Gids at 81.8 miles
7 Gids at 84.9 miles
6 Gids at 87.0 miles
5 Gids and Turtle at 88.8 miles

Stopped at home base at 88.9 miles

End data at Turtle:
Miles driven; 88.9 miles (Dash odometer)
Dash and center screen economy displays = 4.1 mi/kWh
Data below is from LBA
Gids: 5
% Gids: 1.8%
SOC: 1.4%
Remaining kWh: 0.4 kWh
Battery temps: 92.6 F, 90.8 F, 87.6 F
AH: 61.8
Health: 95.56%
Max Voltage Diff: 106 MV (usually reads about 11 MV when car is fully charged)

Calculated usable kWh: 88.9 mi/4.1 mi/kWh = 21.68 kWh
kWh required to recharge to 100% full: 24.6 kWh

I realize that this test differs somewhat from a true Tony 100 kph range test to Turtle in at least two ways: 1) I did not continue at 100 kph until Turtle (though I did maintain an indicated 4.1 mi/kWh throughout the test, including resetting one economy meter at the 77.7 mile mark when I left the freeway), and secondly the battery temps were above Tony's recommended 70 degrees F, something I couldn't control.

Conclusions:
2013 LEAF SL full range 88.9 miles at 100 kph (mostly) and dash indicated 4.1 mi/kWh.
I've demonstrated again that my 2013 LEAF, at least, needs to be driven to Turtle to observe its actual range capability, because similar to my first Turtle run with this car, there were still, unbelievably, 7 miles available from 10 Gids down to 5 Gids and Turtle. As I mentioned above, stjohnh saw the same behavior in his Turtle run with his 2013 May built LEAF. This battery behavior may be indicative of the way that new US built LEAF packs behave at low SOC. The pack behaves as if there is a hidden reserve of roughly 1.5 kWh below 10 Gids that isn't viewable in the Gid count. Unfortunately, I wasn't recording the full data set from the LBA, so I don't have the indicated remaining kWh at 10 Gids.
EDIT: Also, since this pack behavior at low SOC has now been duplicated on my car in a second Turtle test and also in another LEAF of similar build date, it appears to be a characteristic of this batch of LEAFs rather than a fluke or due to a very new pack that is still in the process of balancing or such a new pack that the BMS is still learning the pack.

Another conclusion is that my LEAF was able to demonstrate what appears to be full driving autonomy (range) with an Amp Hour reading of "only" 61.8 and Health of "only" 95%. Whatever is causing this widely seen recent drop in AH doesn't seem to be affecting actual driving range. So my recommendation is that folks shouldn't worry so much about dropping AH readings. They may be relatively meaningless in terms of battery health and range.

Also, the usual practice of estimating remaining range autonomy by calculating from Gids remaining will give a falsely low reading with my car (and possibly other new build 2013 LEAFs), leading the driver to predict less range than the car can deliver.

Boomer23 said:
(lots of data cut out)
Also, the usual practice of estimating remaining range autonomy by calculating from Gids remaining will give a falsely low reading with my car (and possibly other new build 2013 LEAFs), leading the driver to predict less range than the car can deliver.

Great post, thanks for the detailed report. It matches exactly what I have found:
1. Current "capacity" reporting is flawed, at least for some 2013 Leafs, range is fine.
2. There are more "miles in reserve" below VLBW for our "low capacity" 2013 Leafs than in prior years. Still not sure about the "normal capacity" (IE those with capacity reported as 66AHr) 2013 Leafs.
3. Range testing to Turtle can be very reassuring to owners, especially if you have a "low capacity" 2013 Leaf.

Very interesting results, but I'm not surprised because when I did my record run, I noticed all the extra miles at the bottom which the ECOtality tech just told me that the 2013 pack has more 'cushion' than earlier packs.
Boomer, why did u go only 63mph? If u go 65 on the Speedo, that I believe is an actual 62mph as in Tony's test. I know mine is three mph fast at 65. Your slower speed may account for the 4.1 instead of 4.0.

LEAFfan said:
Very interesting results, but I'm not surprised because when I did my record run, I noticed all the extra miles at the bottom which the ECOtality tech just told me that the 2013 pack has more 'cushion' than earlier packs.
Boomer, why did u go only 63mph? If u go 65 on the Speedo, that I believe is an actual 62mph as in Tony's test. I know mine is three mph fast at 65. Your slower speed may account for the 4.1 instead of 4.0.

I followed Tony's instructions to find velocity of 100 kph on the LEAF's nav display (radio off, Push Map 3 times, Radio twice, Map once. Find Nav sensor information, Vgps = 1,000). For my car, a reading of 1000 coincides with 63 mph. My LEAF is an SL, so it has the 17 inch wheels and Michelin tires.

Boomer23 said:
I did a new range test today, adhering as closely as possible to Tony's recommendations without risking running out of charge on the freeway or major highway. My results confirmed several things about my 2013 May built LEAF: Full range to Turtle was 88.9 miles, dash economy display read 4.1 mi/kWh at 100 kph steady speed, calculated usable capacity same as my earlier test at 21.7 kWh, and the car still demonstrates the same previously unexpected behavior that I saw during my first Turtle run and confirmed by stjohnh on his 2013 LEAF: below 10 Gids, driving 7 miles between 10 Gids and Turtle at 5 Gids.
Great test, Boomer! Looks like the only thing left to do is to test a 2013 vehicle which is reading 66+ Ah to see if it has the same behavior below 10 GIDs as yours and stjohnh's.

Just this week, I had a very low battery and got off the wrong highway exit. It was a stretch of highway that I've traveled many times, but there was construction splitting up traffic and I ended up in a segregated lane that forced me to exit early. The GPS recalculated the route and told me it was 2.9km to the charging station. Somehow, traveling at 60km/h, I made it there dropping just one GIDs.

Yesterday, I was in the area and decided to test the same 2.9km trip while I was not low on juice. It took four GIDs and was actually stale on that for a long time.
I was expecting to end up -5 GIDs at the end.

The conditions weren't the same, but still.

9-->8 Rain, 18C, 60km/h (I could drive slow since there was almost no traffic at night)
154-->150 Sunny, 23C 72km/h (Congested highway traffic)

Thanks for posting the range test results.

="Boomer23"

...I've demonstrated again that my 2013 LEAF, at least, needs to be driven to Turtle to observe its actual range capability, because similar to my first Turtle run with this car, there were still, unbelievably, 7 miles available from 10 Gids down to 5 Gids and Turtle. As I mentioned above, stjohnh saw the same behavior in his Turtle run with his 2013 May built LEAF. This battery behavior may be indicative of the way that new US built LEAF packs behave at low SOC. The pack behaves as if there is a hidden reserve of roughly 1.5 kWh below 10 Gids that isn't viewable in the Gid count...

More evidence IMO, that "gids" are not representative of fixed units of Wh, but are used by the LBC to display the battery low capacity warnings, capacity bars and charge bars, and perhaps also to regulate the available battery capacity allowed between "100%" and the low capacity warnings and shutdown.

="Boomer23"

...Another conclusion is that my LEAF was able to demonstrate what appears to be full driving autonomy (range) with an Amp Hour reading of "only" 61.8 and Health of "only" 95%. Whatever is causing this widely seen recent drop in AH doesn't seem to be affecting actual driving range. So my recommendation is that folks shouldn't worry so much about dropping AH readings. They may be relatively meaningless in terms of battery health and range...

Yes, my 2011 with over 20,000 miles, most recent App readings of 55.53 AHr, (83.81%) and 80.68% Hlth, has no detectable loss of range since September of 2011, though I strongly suspect some loss of available battery capacity has been masked by improvements in my LEAF's drivetrain and tire efficiency.

Some more data on the test please, if you have it, ="Boomer23".

Ambient temps while driving?

Battery temps when charging, both during the pre-test charge, and post test measured recharge.

Test route elevation profile.

CarWings reports of kWh used, both from the initial battery charge and regen, and the miles driven during the test.

Total time of the range test. Of course, it is impossible to maintain a constant speed over the entire battery capacity/range, and GPS calculated speeds may be inaccurate.

Total time or recharge to both "80%" and "100%" if possible, so those of us without wall meters can compare our results to yours:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876&start=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd also suggest those doing constant-speed tests in the future might want to test at 45, 60 , or 70 mph (and match the other test conditions as closely as possible) as the DOE test results of m/kWh efficiency and available battery capacity for the 2011 LEAFs at those three speeds are available for comparison, and the results for the 2013 LEAF in the program also should be available in the future, here:

http://avt.inel.gov/fsev.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back