2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer wrote: "Tony's meltdown was due to a bad crimp in the Blink (Rema) handle." -- Again, you never examined his handle -- this is speculation. You may be right about the primary cause of the Rav4 incident (a truly known secondary cause is Rav4's lack of inlet thermal protection), but why do you state so authoritatively that you know the root cause, and then go on to confidently predict a widespread crimping problem in Blinks when you write: "I'm sure when people start plugging the 2013 Leafs into Blinks we'll see a lot more of this.". Have you managed to extract (currently confidential?) info from Nissan that their currently planned 2013 Leaf implementation has no inlet thermal protection? If so did you convey your understandable serious concerns about Blink EVSEs to your source so that Nissan might consider the necessity to head off (by adding thermal protection to the 2013 production) a scenario which could be at the very least embarrassing to the EV industry and at the worst contribute to seriously damaging to its reputation and subsequent progress?

I'm guessing that if 1) a number of EVSEs soon overheat at 30a and 2) in fact the 2013 Leaf has some kind of inlet thermal protection, the impact should be much less severe and perhaps not very evident at all -- like somewhat increased charging times if Nissan used thermal protection similar to your suggested fix to the Rav4 for owners like TonyWilliams.

mwalsh said:
As a reminder, here's what the old pack looks like

I dunno, they look pretty close to me. The modules look a bit thinner. The bolt holes look about the same in both, with the newer pack having individual tabs at the suport points, while the old pack has one long "tab" down the side.

Remember the first pic has the top casing "cut away" while the second has the top casing propped up. They've also removed the right corner module in the second pic.

The arrangement is very similar- same curve and rough size with the disconnect in the same spot. Seems to me it would be very much in Nissan's intrest to keep things compatable. They'll be replacing a few lease return packs for some years to come. ;)

I don't see any differences either. I'm on my way to Yokohama right now and have some meetings at the Nissan battery plant on Thursday. I'll see what the new pack looks like in the flesh and let you know.

DaveinOlyWA said:
well since half the "hump" is gone, a configuration change would be obvious i would think.

nice pix and really illustrates that the remaining hump is the rear suspension.
There were never batteries in the "hump." Just the ultracapacitor and the charger.

Thanks for the pictures! Here are the two together in one post:
surfingslovak said:
Here is high-res picture of the battery pack cutaway model lifted from Nissan's PR material.

Click to open
file.php
To me, everything looks different. Perhaps it is just the perspective?

drees: I agree with you 1000%! But why didn't you address your comment to Ingineer as well, as I only posted here as a reply to his post in this thread?

Old module and new module.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/574/399/html/13.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New module is smaller and lighter.
Can we put more modules in the old box to extend gen1 Leaf's range?

ht2 said:
Old module and new module.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/574/399/html/13.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New module is smaller and lighter.
Can we put more modules in the old box to extend gen1 Leaf's range?

Interesting - may be they can add some more battery capacity or reduce the height of the rear seats (and thus lower the roof of the car to get better cd).

I think it is only modestly smaller. It looks to me like they just made the exterior metal casing less thick.
So, I am thinking the same number of units in the same configuration. Just less weight.

evnow said:
Interesting - may be they can add some more battery capacity or reduce the height of the rear seats (and thus lower the roof of the car to get better cd).
It will be difficult to add any modules due to the parallel-serial cell arrangement, since this would alter the total pack voltage, with all the consequences this implies.

Google Translate said:
Battery module of the initial model was a shape such as a box-shaped container lid as canning, the new battery module to change the style sandwich from the top and the bottom. Contribution to the weight reduction to ensure the strength of the same while reducing the metal exterior. And I feel really let me have, more new and slightly lighter too. Also, the entire case black, are pursuing weight loss, such as by reducing the weight of the cables and change the arrangement of internal parts

TEG said:
I think it is only modestly smaller. It looks to me like they just made the exterior metal casing less thick.
So, I am thinking the same number of units in the same configuration. Just less weight.

That's what I'm seeing/understand.

They can add cells in parallel to each module, from a 2S2P configuration to a 2S3P, voltage would remain the same but capacity and volume would go up 33% .. I think they would just increase the cell capacity and kept the dimensions and configuration the same.

I visited the Nissan battery plant in Yokohama today and had an interesting tour of the manufacturing facility. We had a long discussion about the Mk2 LEAF battery and in a nutshell the new battery has been redesigned to save weight and cost but is functionally identical to the Mk1 battery.

OrientExpress said:
I visited the Nissan battery plant in Yokohama today and had an interesting tour of the manufacturing facility. We had a long discussion about the Mk2 LEAF battery and in a nutshell the new battery has been redesigned to save weight and cost but is functionally identical to the Mk1 battery.
Good to know, thanks for the report! Careful with those roaming data charges...

125apur

Not to worry, Nissan has us using one of their mobile wifi hotspots to LTE. Otherwise it could be $19.95 per MB! First thing I did was turn off the cellular radio on the phone.

OrientExpress said:
Otherwise it could be $19.95 per MB! First thing I did was turn off the cellular radio on the phone.
Yikes! That's what I remember from Germany as well, AT&T must have kept the same international rate.

Back