2013 Leaf S charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomx

I am thinking to lease a 2013 Leaf S (without upgraded charging package) for $3000 down and $99/mo for 24 months. Do you guys think this is decent deal?

I drive ~8 miles (so ~16 round trip) from home to work daily and have an ICE for long trips. So I think Leaf S (without upgraded charging package) should be good enough for me.

I plan to charge it to 80% every night (I know it's a leased car but still want to protect the battery to make it last longer). I know to fully charge it to 100% with 110v outlet (don't have a plan to install a 240v charging station) may take ~21 hours. But how long will it take to charge it to 80%? I know it is much shorter than 21 x 0.8, but how long? Any input is welcome!

Thx,

Tom

Tomx said:
I am thinking to lease a 2013 Leaf S (without upgraded charging package) for $3000 down and $99/mo for 24 months. Do you guys think this is decent deal?

I drive ~8 miles (so ~16 round trip) from home to work daily and have an ICE for long trips. So I think Leaf S (without upgraded charging package) should be good enough for me.

I plan to charge it to 80% every night (I know it's a leased car but still want to protect the battery to make it last longer). I know to fully charge it to 100% with 110v outlet (don't have a plan to install a 240v charging station) may take ~21 hours. But how long will it take to charge it to 80%? I know it is much shorter than 21 x 0.8, but how long? Any input is welcome!

Thx,

Tom

I charge maybe twice a week 110v outlet, we live less than a mile from our jobs.
We do errands around town and drive out for dinner once/twice a week 50mis. round trip.
So I think you would be ok. A quick charge would be nice anyway, the more you drive the Leaf the more you will want to
take longer trips!! :lol:

I set my charge for 7am so when I plug it in, it only charges the amount of time it needs.
That way we pay less, peak hrs. here are 9pm to 6am. :geek: about 9.5 cents a kwh.

99.00 month looks good, I just did not to put $$ down. :cool:

I leased a 2014 s with quick charge package from Crossroads Nissan in Wake Forest, NC
Traded a 2007 Ford Focus, that had 196,000mis. still owed 3000.00, they paid it off.
no money down, 289.00 mo. tax included, 36mos. ,13000 residual, 643.00 lease cost. paid no up front fees.

Tomx said:

First of all, if you only drive 16 miles per day, you don't need to worry quite so much about how long it takes to charge the battery from empty to full (which seems to be what most people always think about) In this case, you only need to recuperate 16 miles. On the 120V charger, you get around 4-5 miles per hour. So it would probably take between 4 and 5 hours to recharge after your daily commute.

Its worth mentioning that with 120V charging, you are definitely going to limit the amount of driving you can do in a single day because there simply isn't enough time on a regular workday to recharge more than about 40 miles of range, unless you can charge at work too. So at some point in the future you may want to look into installing a 240V setup. Since you would not have the upgraded charging package, there are many inexpensive solutions that would essentially double/triple your charging speed.

As far as the deal is concerned.. $3000 down is quite a lot. So in reality it should be similar to putting down nothing at all and having a monthly payment of $224. Which, is still not bad but I have heard of better deals. Whether you can find a better deal at the moment, who knows?

adric22 said:
Tomx said:

First of all, if you only drive 16 miles per day, you don't need to worry quite so much about how long it takes to charge the battery from empty to full (which seems to be what most people always think about) In this case, you only need to recuperate 16 miles. On the 120V charger, you get around 4-5 miles per hour. So it would probably take between 4 and 5 hours to recharge after your daily commute.

Its worth mentioning that with 120V charging, you are definitely going to limit the amount of driving you can do in a single day because there simply isn't enough time on a regular workday to recharge more than about 40 miles of range, unless you can charge at work too. So at some point in the future you may want to look into installing a 240V setup. Since you would not have the upgraded charging package, there are many inexpensive solutions that would essentially double/triple your charging speed.

As far as the deal is concerned.. $3000 down is quite a lot. So in reality it should be similar to putting down nothing at all and having a monthly payment of $224. Which, is still not bad but I have heard of better deals. Whether you can find a better deal at the moment, who knows?

I agree!! totally :lol:

Our daily commute is only 9 miles each way, 18 miles daily. However, we still drive our Leaf 300 miles weekly with all the other driving we do. We paid extra on our lease to increase the annual miles to 15,000 and for a while we were thinking that we would exceed this also. In this case we were thinking to get a new 2016 Leaf before our 45,000 miles or 36 months.

You will be supprised at how much you will be driving the leaf. We try to use it for all our driving, or the one who will be driving the most miles gets it.

Get the charge package and then get a 240v EVSE. You will not regret it.

Thank you all for the replies!

So how long it's gonna charge S (3.3kw) to 80% with 110v outlet? Anybody has the experience?

Thanks again!

Tom

Another silly question - people keep saying 'MY2013' and I know they mean Leaf 2013. But what does 'MY' stand for? Just curious :)

Thanks,

Tom

Tomx said:

So how long it's gonna charge S (3.3kw) to 80% with 110v outlet? Anybody has the experience?

Thanks again!

Tom
The LEAF is about 75% efficient on Level 1 (120 Volt) charging, so: 12 Amps x 120 Volts x 0.75 = 1.08 kW to the battery. How long it takes depends on how much charge you need. With a new battery that's roughly 220 watt hours per percent SOC (State of Charge). If you are at 30% and want to get to 80% then that's about 11 kWh. 11 kWh/1.08 kW = ~10 hours.

Be aware that the percent SOC gauge isn't completely linear and that "100%" is really about 94-95% but 80% is really 80%. Nevertheless, you can get a rough idea of charge time with these numbers.

If you are only doing 16 miles per day how much charge you need depends on your mileage efficiency. And that depends on weather, driving conditions, heater use and the like. If you manage 4 miles/kWh (decent, but not great) then you would be using 4 kWh per commute. If you get 3 miles/kWh (common in winter driving when using the heater) then you would use 5.3 kWh to do the commute. And so forth. Depends a lot on where you live, what type of driver you are, and whether or not you make any side trips beyond just doing the commute.

Got it. I thought the charging time from 0% to 80% is less than 0.8 times the charging time from 0% to 100%. Looks like it isn't.

Thanks again for the detailed information!

Tom

dgpcolorado said:
Tomx said:

Thanks again!

Tom
The LEAF is about 75% efficient on Level 1 (120 Volt) charging, so: 12 Amps x 120 Volts x 0.75 = 1.08 kW to the battery. How long it takes depends on how much charge you need. With a new battery that's roughly 220 watt hours per percent SOC (State of Charge). If you are at 30% and want to get to 80% then that's about 11 kWh. 11 kWh/1.08 kW = ~10 hours.

Be aware that the percent SOC gauge isn't completely linear and that "100%" is really about 94-95% but 80% is really 80%. Nevertheless, you can get a rough idea of charge time with these numbers.

If you are only doing 16 miles per day how much charge you need depends on your mileage efficiency. And that depends on weather, driving conditions, heater use and the like. If you manage 4 miles/kWh (decent, but not great) then you would be using 4 kWh per commute. If you get 3 miles/kWh (common in winter driving when using the heater) then you would use 5.3 kWh to do the commute. And so forth. Depends a lot on where you live, what type of driver you are, and whether or not you make any side trips beyond just doing the commute.

Tomx said:
Got it. I thought the charging time from 0% to 80% is less than 0.8 times the charging time from 0% to 100%. Looks like it isn't.

Thanks again for the detailed information!

Tom
In fact, it is. Since you used 80% as your limit I chose to use it also. However, charging from 80% to 100% is somewhat slower than charging from 60% to 80% because the charging rate slows as the battery nears filling (to prevent damage). A complicating factor is that the amount of charge represented by 80% to 100% is smaller than than that from 60% to 100% because "100%" is actually about 94-95% actual SOC. So, don't assume that each percent represents precisely the same amount of charge.

If you would like a more accurate look at how much charge you really have to work with in your battery I'd suggest that you get a "Gid" meter, such as Leaf DD or the LEAF Spy app for an android phone. Those will give you a better feel for how much charge you are using and they are especially helpful when using the bottom 20% of the pack, not that you are likely to need that with a short commute.

Tomx said:

Thx,

Tom

Don't know how many miles you are allowed but if its 12,000 miles a year thats an excellent deal to get $99/mo for 2 years. Typically it takes about 12 to 15 hours on 120vac to charge to more than 80% if you only drive 16 miles per day. Don't bet on the 16 miles either.

Back