2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on NJ purchase of an SL with minimal additional options except for mats, splash guards and a first aid kit.

Been pushing back on my dealer for a better rate than the 339/mth with no tax (in NJ), all fees, etc. rolled in that they had offered me. Their original offer was $0 out the door, 339/mth, 12k miles and 395 disposition fee.

I feel a little disadvantaged in that there are practically no Leafs in NJ yet. So while they are not selling very well overall or in the NE in particular, I believe, they still don't seem to have the Northern CA supply that I'd expect means they are getting desperate to cut deals.

But after walking out of the dealership last week over their offer for trade in of my 2010 Prius, I pushed back on them today and they agreed to $300/mth, $0 out the door (no fees, title, etc. its all rolled into the monthly price), no tax, but still the $395 disposition fee. Based on what I've seen on the board so far, that seems pretty close to optimal (just couldn't get them to drop that 395 or roll it in to a further monthly reduction).

I know they have had the SL in for 3 weeks now (when they first contacted me about it) and its obviously not selling too quickly so I could wait them out a little longer - my guess is they will have multiple cars by next month, and try to save probably about the value of the disposition fee.

Any thoughts? By the way, those on this board who suggested I push back are correct and I thank them for it, there was definitely room in their offer.

I still am hesitant to pull the trigger because of the trade in. Kelley BB and Edmunds are giving me trade in values that are $21K for my 2010 Prius V. I am not going to sell privately and am willing to sacrifice the $$ that this means. Even the NADA web site gives a range of about $16.75k to $19K, and the dealer is offering just below the bottom of the range there. Given that I'm already constraining myself by saying I will only sell in a trade in or similar site (Autotrader, Car Cash and similar sites are even lower than what the dealer is offering in connection with the Leaf deal), any thoughts on how much of a haircut on the Kelley, Edmunds or NADA prices I should be taking?

pgrokkos said:
...I know they have had the SL in for 3 weeks now (when they first contacted me about it) and its obviously not selling too quickly so I could wait them out a little longer - my guess is they will have multiple cars by next month, and try to save probably about the value of the disposition fee.
You have the best negotiation info available right here at MNL. Hey, they contacted you. I think you can afford to wait a bit more and continue to try for a better deal. Gas prices probably won't spike as much this summer as in the past, so there shouldn't be hoards of people out bidding you. The longer it sits on their lot, they will have to carry the cost. Battery degradation shouldn't be a big concern until summer. Maybe wait until around Memorial Day?

pgrokkos said:
...Even the NADA web site gives a range of about $16.75k to $19K, and the dealer is offering just below the bottom of the range there. Given that I'm already constraining myself by saying I will only sell in a trade in or similar site (Autotrader, Car Cash and similar sites are even lower than what the dealer is offering in connection with the Leaf deal), any thoughts on how much of a haircut on the Kelley, Edmunds or NADA prices I should be taking?
Standard practice to offer you the lowest price, maybe $15k and then turn around and sell it for retail at around $20k. Tell them if they want your business, you'll do it for $19k on the trade, otherwise they'll have to wait until you sell it on craigslist (well at least threaten even if you're not planning on it).

Pushpak said:
Here's the new table. Please PM me any errors or omissions.

LeafData.jpg

I have also updated my original post on page 20 of this thread, in case you'd like to evaluate the assumptions behind the numbers.

In calculating the total cost for Aat167 and Bradbissell, I added the $395 disposition fee to equalize the comparison. I realize they may not think of it as a cost.

Finally, an editorial note: A certain one-upmanship infects folks as they evaluate their upcoming expenditure. I strongly recommend that prospective Leaf lessors view these numbers as "possibles", not "probables". The minimum shouldn't become something against which to measure either your negotiating prowess or your manhood. Frankly, the only numbers I am truly confident about are mine :)|), because those I know include all taxes, rebates, etc. Also, deals often include special reductions such as state rebates, VPP, loyalty cash, etc., which may not apply to you. Plus, some, possibly most, costs leave out things like monthly local taxes, disposition fees, etc. As a personal matter, I believe life too short to squeeze the last possible cent out of every deal.

Not without some trepidation, I have made the underlying spreadsheet world-editable. If you wish to update it on Google Drive, click here. Add a note in the spreadsheet describing your edit and/or PM it to me. Assuming it passes muster, I'll reflect it in the next 'snapshot'.

Thanks for doing this. Interesting spreadsheet. The difficulty of course is comparing apples to apples. Some folks have just been reporting base costs. Taxes at 8% of the whole amount make a large chunk. Unless I am missing something I am not certain really how to get the numbers down much. The only really good negotiation number unless I am missing something is the price of the car. The money factor for the SL (model I want) is 0.002, which is as far as I know not negotiable. Acquisition fee, small document fee, tax and license are what they are. I got an offer for a 36 month lease with the purchase price of the car (SL with floor mats) at $33495. That is well under MSRP. The rest of it looks like no way to change it. Deliver is about $1367 which includes first month, TTL etc. Doesn't look like wiggle room there. So monthly is $317. But that is before California tax. Add the tax back and you get $342. But then add the $2500 California rebate and it reduces it by some amount. Am I missing something here? Where else to reduce cost other than price of car?

Corina1231 said:
carolle said:
I just started to look at this thread. I'm considering 2-yr lease of 2013 Leaf S or SV model. This is my first leasing experience, so I need to do many study.

I'm in SF Bay Area/San Jose, only commuting 12 miles/day. I've seen a number of leasing deals in San Jose area in this thread. And, I also searched a couple of dealer web sites in San Jose that have plenty of Leaf stocks.

What would be a good target for leasing of 2 years?

(1) SV + Premium (or LED+QC option): around total $7000?
(1) SV (w/o any additional packages): total $6000?
(2) S Base: total $4500?

Does it make any sense?

One of my friends made a 2-yr lease with $2000 + $85/month (w/o tax), for S base model, which I think very good deal. (I know that leasing depends on credit score. I do have a good score.)
Carolle, I'm glad you live in the Bay Area where one can always negotiate a fair deal. Our 4 local dealers in San Jose and Sunnyvale and Redwood City have close to 300 in stock.

Your numbers are very close to mine. Keep it apples to apples, including all taxes and fees.

Down plus
Total of payments plus
Dispo fee ($395 in Nissan contract)
equals true cost of lease.

My corresponding numbers are $6800, $6000 and $5000 based on average Bay Area deals in the past 30 days since supply skyrocketed. Remember, these include the $395 Dispo fee and all taxes. Sunnyvale, with their 109 in inventory has been the most consistent at giving good deals of late.

Review Pushpak's chart on p. 21 and my prior posts if you like to see where my numbers are coming from. Best of luck.

One last thing, I'm concerned you may not drive enough to make the 12k a year. It requires you to average 33 miles a day based on a 7 day week. PushPak's chart shows you a price per mile analysis. If you only plan on 10k year, you should find a cheaper corresponding lease. People who don't use their miles essentially pay too much for their lease. Never go over, either. Also, you can always turn it in a month or 2 early if you hit your miles.

Best of Luck. It is not a fun process, and requires you to ignore most of the numbers they throw at you to confuse you, and keep your eye on the ball - TOTAL COST OF LEASE.

Hi Corina, and Carolle
I am in SJ too, but the numbers I got from one dealer are a lot worse. Can you let me know from which dealer you got this information?

The quotes I got for a 24mnt/12K miles:
Down per mnt
SV $4k $115
SV+QuickCharge Pkg $4k $138
SL+Premium Pkg $4K $160

Looking ahead to be a Leaf Rider!!

aat167 said:
So I finally pulled the trigger:

Nissan SV (Cayenne Red) with QC and LED package + Floor mats.
12,000 miles/yr (for 24 months).
$0 down + 236/month (for 23 months) + 395 disposition fees.
Selling price including dest charges : 30400
Money factor : 0.002
Residual Value : 0.63
Total cost to lease for 24 months = $5823
cpm: 0.2426
Dealer: Sunnyvale Nissan.

Hi
Can you let me know who you dealt w/ at Sunnyvale Nissan. I hate car buying/bargaining. I would love it if I could just replicate your deal.

Legolas said:
Corina1231 said:
carolle said:
I just started to look at this thread. I'm considering 2-yr lease of 2013 Leaf S or SV model. This is my first leasing experience, so I need to do many study.

I'm in SF Bay Area/San Jose, only commuting 12 miles/day. I've seen a number of leasing deals in San Jose area in this thread. And, I also searched a couple of dealer web sites in San Jose that have plenty of Leaf stocks.

What would be a good target for leasing of 2 years?

(1) SV + Premium (or LED+QC option): around total $7000?
(1) SV (w/o any additional packages): total $6000?
(2) S Base: total $4500?

Does it make any sense?

One of my friends made a 2-yr lease with $2000 + $85/month (w/o tax), for S base model, which I think very good deal. (I know that leasing depends on credit score. I do have a good score.)
Carolle, I'm glad you live in the Bay Area where one can always negotiate a fair deal. Our 4 local dealers in San Jose and Sunnyvale and Redwood City have close to 300 in stock.

Your numbers are very close to mine. Keep it apples to apples, including all taxes and fees.

Down plus
Total of payments plus
Dispo fee ($395 in Nissan contract)
equals true cost of lease.

My corresponding numbers are $6800, $6000 and $5000 based on average Bay Area deals in the past 30 days since supply skyrocketed. Remember, these include the $395 Dispo fee and all taxes. Sunnyvale, with their 109 in inventory has been the most consistent at giving good deals of late.

Review Pushpak's chart on p. 21 and my prior posts if you like to see where my numbers are coming from. Best of luck.

One last thing, I'm concerned you may not drive enough to make the 12k a year. It requires you to average 33 miles a day based on a 7 day week. PushPak's chart shows you a price per mile analysis. If you only plan on 10k year, you should find a cheaper corresponding lease. People who don't use their miles essentially pay too much for their lease. Never go over, either. Also, you can always turn it in a month or 2 early if you hit your miles.

Best of Luck. It is not a fun process, and requires you to ignore most of the numbers they throw at you to confuse you, and keep your eye on the ball - TOTAL COST OF LEASE.

Hi Corina, and Carolle
I am in SJ too, but the numbers I got from one dealer are a lot worse. Can you let me know from which dealer you got this information?

The quotes I got for a 24mnt/12K miles:
Down per mnt
SV $4k $115
SV+QuickCharge Pkg $4k $138
SL+Premium Pkg $4K $160

Looking ahead to be a Leaf Rider!!

I'm in negotiating with Sunnyvale Nissan. I'll do more negotiating with other dealerships as well.

For me, so far, I got "SV+QC is $2K + $207*23 + $395 = $7140", which includes all taxes. I believe I should get close to $6000.

I'm currently talking with one of the dealerships in Bay Area. One said that:

Leaf owners agree to bring it in for every 6 months or 7,500 miles for a maintenance service. It calls for a dealer or Nissan certified shop. Lastly, excess wear and tear packages are an option if you are concerned about that.

What is this mean? Does this mean that floor mats and, cargo area mat, and splash guards are an OPTION?

I believe most dealerships provide this one.

carolle said:
I'm in negotiating with Sunnyvale Nissan. I'll do more negotiating with other dealerships as well.

For me, so far, I got "SV+QC is $2K + $207*23 + $395 = $7140", which includes all taxes. I believe I should get close to $6000.

Best of luck. I will be heading out of the country for 10 days... Want to get the email discussions ongoing w/ the dealership.
Did you call in for getting the ball rolling or directly via email?

Legolas said:
carolle said:

Best of luck. I will be heading out of the country for 10 days... Want to get the email discussions ongoing w/ the dealership.
Did you call in for getting the ball rolling or directly via email?

Only emails. I don't want a call before getting a solid deal. Of course, all dealerships try to call you.

I'm in.

Picking my SL up tomorrow. Will post full details after I do so, but bottom line is $300 per month, $0 out of pocket (all fees rolled in), and $395 disposition fee. No tax in NJ. 24 months, 12k miles. Works out to $7200 total plus the $395 disposition fee.

Think that some here think I could have done a little better. But not beating myself up over it. Think I got them to move to something reasonable on my Prius trade in, plus feel good about no NJ tax, and even factoring in the disposition fee in the monthly payments, I'm at about $317 all in which is fairly close to the $280 originally posted at VPP pricing for a lease like this. And factor in that I'm not paying any taxes, its close enough - plus I'm still hoping the 2015 Leaf will break 100 miles range when I turn this one in so that dispo fee will disappear.

Pretty psyched. Will trickle charge at first as have some kind of free electric car charging station at work. Will have to see how that works out.

pgrokkos said:
I'm in.

Picking my SL up tomorrow. Will post full details after I do so, but bottom line is $300 per month, $0 out of pocket (all fees rolled in), and $395 disposition fee. No tax in NJ. 24 months, 12k miles. Works out to $7200 total plus the $395 disposition fee.
No sales tax in NJ??? I bet you that it is rolled into the lease, I've been leasing cars in NJ for 25 years and I always paid the sales tax on the monthly rent.

apvbguy said:
No sales tax in NJ??? I bet you that it is rolled into the lease, I've been leasing cars in NJ for 25 years and I always paid the sales tax on the monthly rent.
No sales tax in NJ (and WA) on EVs.

I'm new to all of this Leaf business. I'm taking a job in the SF bay area that will require a 70 mile round trip commute per day. There is a blink station close to the office. Here's my offer for a 24-month lease:

Nissan Leaf S
24 Month Lease
$3500 down (includes drive-off fee, taxes, license, etc.)
$68 per month + taxes
12k miles
Will bump to 15k miles per year for approximately $89 per month AFTER taxes.

My current car is good for about 24mpg, but is completely paid off.

Should I bite the bullet? Seems like one of the best lease deals that I have seen.

carolle said:
Leaf owners agree to bring it in for every 6 months or 7,500 miles for a maintenance service. It calls for a dealer or Nissan certified shop. Lastly, excess wear and tear packages are an option if you are concerned about that.
What is this mean? Does this mean that floor mats and, cargo area mat, and splash guards are an OPTION?
No, I think it means they are trying to sell you an insurance package against excess wear and tear. Personally, I would decline without even hearing the price.

As for having to bring it in every 6mo/7.5k, that's a sneaky one I hadn't heard of. If you were to sign it, you would be obligated and have to pay their going rates whether you brought it in or not! It's a very bad deal. There is a 6mo/7.5k service specified, but other than for "severe conditions" it is only to rotate the tires. You can do that yourself, or have a tire shop do it inexpensively or for free. If they insist on that kind of a deal, walk away and don't go back.

Ray

Doing the multiple email quote now ..... I'm trying to get the best deal on a S model with S Charge Package with $2K down payment.

Thoughts on this offer from Nalley Nissan (Decatur, GA outside Atlanta):
$1,995 due at signing
12,000 miles per year
$193 for 24 months
(Figures includes tax.)

Looks like my total cost is $6627. Didn't address Dispo Fee, but I will grind that if needed.

Offer # 2 just came in....
24 months
12,000 miles per year
$1,000 total out of pocket
$189 per month including tax

Looks like that total is $5347.

Getting better. :)

Offer # 3 just came in....
24 months
12,000 miles per year
$253.66 total out of pocket (includes 1st payment)
$253.66 per month (for 23 monthly payments) includes tax.

That total lease cost should be $6087. plus tags & registration.

Offer # 2 is strong. Just wonder how much better it can get this weekend here in Atlanta.

Legolas said:
aat167 said:
So I finally pulled the trigger:

Nissan SV (Cayenne Red) with QC and LED package + Floor mats.
12,000 miles/yr (for 24 months).
$0 down + 236/month (for 23 months) + 395 disposition fees.
Selling price including dest charges : 30400
Money factor : 0.002
Residual Value : 0.63
Total cost to lease for 24 months = $5823
cpm: 0.2426
Dealer: Sunnyvale Nissan.

Hi
Can you let me know who you dealt w/ at Sunnyvale Nissan. I hate car buying/bargaining. I would love it if I could just replicate your deal.

Jerome Shadkam from Internet department. I was eligible for VPP discount however I could negotiate further over that discounted pricing (another 1000 below VPP).

sonnylax said:
Doing the multiple email quote now ..... I'm trying to get the best deal on a S model with S Charge Package with $2K down payment.

$1,995 due at signing
12,000 miles per year
$193 for 24 months
(Figures includes tax.)

Looks like my total cost is $6627. Didn't address Dispo Fee, but I will grind that if needed.

24 months
12,000 miles per year

24 months
12,000 miles per year

Offer # 2 is strong. Just wonder how much better it can get this weekend here in Atlanta.

Just remember there is a $5,000 tax credit even for leases in Georgia, offer #2 or #3 are great.

braineo said:
sonnylax said:

$1,995 due at signing
12,000 miles per year
$193 for 24 months
(Figures includes tax.)

24 months
12,000 miles per year

24 months
12,000 miles per year

Just remember there is a $5,000 tax credit even for leases in Georgia, offer #2 or #3 are great.
Just curious. How does that $5,000 tax credit work. Do you claim a 5,000 deduction on your state tax return? What is it ultimately worth, about $1700 cash back for the AVERAGE taxpayer?

Back