2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"iriedodge" writes:
Would you mind sharing with me how you were able to get a charger w/ install so cheap ? I've seen some sort of 'rebate' on install, but I have no idea how they work. Any info is great. Thanks

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cost of Level 2 charger plus installation = eligible for 30% tax credit on 2013 federal return. I purchased a Siemens unit and had it installed Oct. 2012. I claimed the total cost on my 2012 taxes and will get 30% back.

I was a little naive about this topic and probably paid too much. Others are recommending the blink unit which is apparently far less expensive. http://www.blinknetwork.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soliciting feedback on this deal, still in process of negotiating by email:

Dealer responded to my request for a model S w/charger package two-year 15K, $0 down lease.
Said he did not have an S w/charger package in stock, but he did have an SV with charger package.

His first offer:
2013 Leaf SV (MSRP $34615) Brilliant Silver with Charcoal interior
+LED & Quick Charge Pkg
+Floor and Cargo mats
+Splash Guards

- $7,500 Rebate
- $4,083 Dealer Discount
  $23,032 YOUR CAP COST

Monthly payment $244 plus tax, .00200 money factor.

I counteroffered that I need a payment of $230/month including tax.

Edit:

Followup offer from dealer -

"You're killing me buddy. I'm trying to get you a much better car at a great deal. I can do $237 (taxes included) with zero down, pay drive offs only. Will this help? What time can you make it in tomorrow?"

Thoughts? Drive-offs means title + license?

well, I'm also looking for the same deal but I was offered at 309+tax.
which dealer is yours? I will take that deal...

I'm in orange county CA, and most dealers I contacted offered more than $300/month on same exact MSRP car, and same lease condition.

you must be a very good negotiator.

by the way, what was the drive off they offered for $237/month?
You mentioned $0 down, but didn't mention about the drive off.

ttbbsolid said:
...by the way, what was the drive off they offered for $237/month?
You mentioned $0 down, but didn't mention about the drive off.
I was busy all day and haven't emailed him yet asking about it. I will post it when I find out.

What's this drive off fee if you put zero down? It isn't "no money out-of-pocket" if you have to pay extra fees. Mine was zero down, nmoop, and the first payment was paid.

LEAFfan said:
What's this drive off fee if you put zero down? It isn't "no money out-of-pocket" if you have to pay extra fees.
My reaction exactly.

So far the salesman has been straightforward answering my questions via email, which is exactly how I want to continue the negotiations. Far more efficient and less stressful than sitting in a dealership - their turf, their time, their pace, their control of the situation. Email neutralizes that advantage. The hard part is finding a salesperson who is willing to deal on those terms - most insist on trying to phone you or force you to phone them to talk details. So I never give my live phone number, only a message/fax number that takes voice messages only.

We'll see what the drive-off numbers he comes up with are.

So I finally pulled the trigger:

Nissan SV (Cayenne Red) with QC and LED package + Floor mats.
12,000 miles/yr (for 24 months).
$0 down + 236/month (for 23 months) + 395 disposition fees.
Selling price including dest charges : 30400
Money factor : 0.002
Residual Value : 0.63
Total cost to lease for 24 months = $5823
cpm: 0.2426
Dealer: Sunnyvale Nissan.

aat167 said:

Wondered what happened to you neighbor! Nice job being patient and getting a VPP-like deal. Everything looks good - just curious, where is the 1st month payment in the equation? Is it lost in the down, ie. basically paid for by the dealer?

timhebb said:
LEAFfan said:
What's this drive off fee if you put zero down? It isn't "no money out-of-pocket" if you have to pay extra fees.
My reaction exactly.

So far the salesman has been straightforward answering my questions via email, which is exactly how I want to continue the negotiations. Far more efficient and less stressful than sitting in a dealership - their turf, their time, their pace, their control of the situation. Email neutralizes that advantage. The hard part is finding a salesperson who is willing to deal on those terms - most insist on trying to phone you or force you to phone them to talk details. So I never give my live phone number, only a message/fax number that takes voice messages only.

We'll see what the drive-off numbers he comes up with are.
Great job! That's exactly how I bought my Leaf last year. And only one dealer agreed to deal with me on my/your terms. Only problem I see is that they are really NOT being straightforward with you, but instead are still throwing numbers at you and not getting to the bottom line. Until you can figure out the bottom line he has given you nothing really.

You need to nail down 3 things:

What is the down?

What is the total of payments?

What is the Dispo fee ($395 in contract)?

No others numbers matter. This equation includes every other cost including taxes.

Aat167 kept his eye on the ball and totaled these 3 things and just paid $5800 for a 2 yr, 12k mile per year lease on an SV with QC. That is right in line with VPP pricing and is a great deal.

I'd nail them down to the total cost of lease and stop the number juggling they do to create confusion and never give you a bottom line for comparison. Best of Luck!

Corina1231 said:
aat167 said:

Wondered what happened to you neighbor! Nice job being patient and getting a VPP-like deal. Everything looks good - just curious, where is the 1st month payment in the equation? Is it lost in the down, ie. basically paid for by the dealer?

Yes the first months payment is accounted for in the 7500 rebate. So I have to pay 23 more payments. Premier Nissan was not very responsive and ready to negotiate. I think Sunnyvale Nissan is desperate to get them off their lot. They have more than 100 right now.

aat167 said:
Corina1231 said:
aat167 said:

Yes the first months payment is accounted for in the 7500 rebate. So I have to pay 23 more payments. Premier Nissan was not very responsive and ready to negotiate. I think Sunnyvale Nissan is desperate to get them off their lot. They have more than 100 right now.

Nice deal! Great color, too. See you in the carpool lane!

LEAFfan said:
What's this drive off fee if you put zero down? It isn't "no money out-of-pocket" if you have to pay extra fees. Mine was zero down, nmoop, and the first payment was paid.
Just got the dealer's reply that the drive-off is $600 - BUT he didn't state what it is for. Wondering if it could be the $395 disposition fee + first monthly payment (which should have been included in the deal from the beginning, in my opinion). The total of the two is not much over $600.

This would make the total outlay in two years: $600 + $5,688 payments = $6,288 for SV + charger package, 15K miles, 24 months. Cost per mile = 21¢

I'm tempted.

Edit-

"The drive-offs include your first month payment and first year registration."

Comments, please...

timhebb said:
LEAFfan said:
Just got the dealer's reply that the drive-off is $600 - BUT he didn't state what it is for. Wondering if it could be the $395 disposition fee + first monthly payment (which should have been included in the deal from the beginning, in my opinion). The total of the two is not much over $600.

This would make the total outlay in two years: $600 + $5,688 payments = $6,288 for SV + charger package, 15K miles, 24 months. Cost per mile = 21¢

I'm tempted.

Comments, please...
It should include the 1st month since that is standard, and definitely does not include the $395 Dispo fee that the finance manager first mentions to you in te finance office (and has you initial on the contract that you will pay it upon turning in vehicle).

I obviously wish you could get the aat167's CA deal which is $850 less than your on the same car ($5823, which includes the $395 Dispo figured in). You ARE getting 15k over 12k miles a year so that is worth a few hundred more, ONLY if you use it (I wouldn't). Leafinthepark in MN got your same car for $5945 including Dispo fee, 15k miles and all the same terms as you, but he did that by qualifying for VPP.

PS - Cost per mile naturally decreases as miles go higher, remember.

Good luck! Personally, I would try to get closer to the $6k to $6200 range (including hidden dispo fee) b4 I would pull the trigger, but I'm an unemotional grinder. Or, you could agree to the deal, then get up to walk away in the finance office as I and PushPak did when they "surprised" us with the dispo fee. They gave us the $395 back by lowering our payments $10 to $15 a month). But be ready to really walk out, as I was.

Corina1231 said:
It should include the 1st month since that is standard, and definitely does not include the $395 Dispo fee that the finance manager first mentions to you in te finance office (and has you initial on the contract that you will pay it upon turning in vehicle).

I obviously wish you could get the aat167's CA deal which is $850 less than your on the same car ($5823, which includes the $395 Dispo figured in). You ARE getting 15k over 12k miles a year so that is worth a few hundred more, ONLY if you use it (I wouldn't). Leafinthepark in MN got your same car for $5945 including Dispo fee, 15k miles and all the same terms as you, but he did that by qualifying for VPP.

Good luck! Personally, I would try to get closer to the $6k to $6200 range (including hidden dispo fee) b4 I would pull the trigger, but I'm an unemotional grinder. Or, you could agree to the deal, then get up to walk away in the finance office as I and PushPak did when they "surprised" us with the dispo fee. They gave us the $395 back by lowering our payments $10 to $15 a month). But be ready to really walk out, as I was.
Very helpful analysis, thank you!

The $600 includes first month pmt. and registration. Once I learned that, I was planning to let them "surprise" me with the dispo fee at the last minute, then feign shock, ask what it's for, counter that I would be replacing the car with a new one from the dealer, and then threaten to walk if necessary.

I'm still tempted to take this deal, as I don't know of anyone who has done better in So. Cal. - at least not for a non-VPP lease. I haven't discovered any So. Cal dealership that has Leaf inventory volume like Sunnyvale (+100), which probably helps drive their aggressive dealing.

timhebb said:
Corina1231 said:

Very helpful analysis, thank you!

The $600 includes first month pmt. and registration. Once I learned that, I was planning to let them "surprise" me with the dispo fee at the last minute, then feign shock, ask what it's for, counter that I would be replacing the car with a new one from the dealer, and then threaten to walk if necessary.

I'm still tempted to take this deal, as I don't know of anyone who has done better in So. Cal. - at least not for a non-VPP lease. I haven't discovered any So. Cal dealership that has Leaf inventory volume like Sunnyvale (+100), which probably helps drive their aggressive dealing.
They always will waive the Dispo fee in 2 years if you get a new Nissan. That is their counter on why you should pay it. I told them I would definitely not be getting a new one and that they were being unfair not to have mentioned it b4 since it is a hidden cost and all I care about is the bottom line.

Another way to do it is tell them they have a deal as long as there are no hidden costs. Let the salesperson (who is normally unaware of the dispo fee) email and agree. Then remind them when the finance person hits you with the Dispo fee.

Do what you feel is right for you. I come from a long line of grinders and negotiate for a living so it is a matter of principle for me.

Corina1231 said:
Another way to do it is tell them they have a deal as long as there are no hidden costs. Let the salesperson (who is normally unaware of the dispo fee) email and agree. Then remind them when the finance person hits you with the Dispo fee.
I like this approach and plan to use it - thanks!

timhebb said:
Corina1231 said:
Good luck. I am cutting and pasting from a previous post of mine some last tips which you may find helpful!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I used to be a New Car Sales Manager over 25 years ago before going on to get my MBA and changing industries. As RonDawg eluded to, everything is negotiable, except TTL. Dealers can even juggle the money factor if it becomes a deal breaker and make it up to the bank elsewhere.

Here are some tips I've learned through my experience in life and the last six months on this thread:

If you qualify for VPP, and your dealer accepts it, great. It is a good deal and a no-haggle way to lease. Just make sure you are REALLY getting the VPP pricing AND not paying retail for dealer additions on top of it.

If you don't, and to some degree even if you do, then welcome to the negotiation world. You are fortunate if you are in San Jose where our 2 largest local dealers (Sunnyvale and Boardwalk) have over 200 Leafs in stock right now so they really are motivated to move the cars.

Through my experience in the business and as a recent Leaf lessee, I highly recommend you don't let the dealer confuse you with all the numbers and minutia. Stay focused on the TOTAL cost of your lease calculated as follows:

Down
PLUS
total of payments
PLUS
disposition fee in Nissan contract ($395).

If you are happy with the numbers, go in and make that deal they offered you on your Leaf model. Avoid the "bait and switch" to a different car with more dealer expensive dealer added items so you get lost in the new numbers. Politely say "thank you" when your salesperson congratulates you and shakes your hand. Don't sigh of relief or let your guard down now because its not over. That nice finance manager (and they are ALL nice) is about to try to pick your pocket and they are very good at it. Avoid the coffee and sugary doughnuts you are offered and settle on water if you are thirsty and a bathroom break to gather your thoughts while you wait to go into the final battle for your money in the finance office.

Two important things to remember now: first, don't get emotionally attached to the car (or your salesperson, who is your new best friend even though you'll never see her again because she will likely be gone by the next visit you make to the showroom), and second, don't have your partner or anyone else with you in the finance office (so you can walk out easier if necessary). Then, if you are a real grinder, when you are in the finance office and the finance manager "surprises" you with the $395 disposition fee at the end of the lease (and act surprised), say "no way" and that you never accounted for that number or you would have not agreed to other numbers, and get up to walk out. Your objective is to try to get them to waive the fee like Kumar's friend did in TX or to take the equivalent cost off your down or monthly payment like they agreed to do on my lease (lowering my payment on my 36 month lease from $236 to $225) and PushPak's lease last week. Tell them you have only been focused on the TOTAL cost of the lease and they just raised it $395 and emphasize again that you wouldn't have agreed to the other numbers if you had been told about it! It's only fair that they compensate you! It is nothing but a hidden cost that the didn't tell you about, and they are banking that you'll just accept they're explanation that "it is standard in all Nissan Leases". If they then say, "we'll that only applies if you turn the car in and don't buy it or lease or lease another car from us", you can tell them that is exactly your plan.

Of course, almost everyone just goes along and agrees to it because they or their spouse are emotionally attached to the car (which is why your partner stays outside), think they got a good deal so what the heck (after all, he said it was "standard"), are generally adverse to conflict, are uncomfortable or are not really good or used to negotiating (especially we Americans), would feel bad walking out because the salesperson has worked so hard or maybe you've seen the picture of his kids on his desk (real or borrowed from his sister), or just have just been beaten down by now by the stress or time at the dealership. Believe me, if they let you walk out now you REALLY had the best deal and were leaving nothing on the table!

Most likely, though, they won't let you walk but will offer to split the difference or make it up elsewhere. Be careful, they love to offer you a product or service (like mats or splash guards or some 6 month checkups) which costs them little but they say is of an equivalent cost, in lieu of money. Don't worry if they don't stop you from walking out. If your VPP or other negotiated deal was available then it always will be. They have now invested a lot of time in you and want the sale worse than you do. Just swallow your ego and pride and change your mind, then or later.

Lastly, I recommend you don't buy tints, Simoniz, service packages or anything else that day from that finance manager. Everything is overpriced and remember that's how a good finance manager makes themselves and their boss money. You can always change your mind if you really still want to buy it when you are more composed a week later. But don't expect your salesperson or the same finance manager to greet when you come back! I know you think I'm being facetious, but honest to God neither my salesperson or the sales manager was still at my dealership a month later when I stopped in. Instead, I was asked questions like "Daryll who" and "Nathan who, do you have a last name" by 3-4 other new eager beavers before I could get in the door! Such is the car business - outside of technological advances, it hasn't changed much in 25 years since it was my world.

Corina1231 said:
timhebb said:
Corina1231 said:
Good luck. I am cutting and pasting from a previous post of mine some last tips which you may find helpful!

Thanks to everyone for their great detailed accounts through the leasing process.
I used all of this great info to help me score a sweet deal in WI Here goes:

2013 Leaf SV black no packages just floor mats etc.
24 months 15,000 miles a year
Down payment $1767.46 includes taxes, first payment, fees etc.
23 months at $155.33 per month
Disposition fee of $155.33 (equal to 1 month payment, thought it was weird but I asked about it several times and it is in my contract, was even ready to turn down the $395 fee but I just accepted this charge)

Total cost of 24 month lease = $5,495.38

Non vpp pricing but I got a $500 bonus cash promo in the mail that they added at the last minute. I thought sweet!

Back