2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradbissell said:
Leased a 2013 SV with limited options (mats, spash guards, stupid hologram kick plates ugh!). I had originally walked out of the dealership last week when they wanted a decision that instant without my talking to the boss. Anyone who is married knows how that would have gone. Anyway, they let me walk which means I probably got the best deal I was going to get. Swallowed my pride and went back on friday to get the original deal.

24months 15k/yr

$1000 down
$259.25/month (base w/no tax) 23months
$395 disposition (tried to get rid of this but they didn't bite
--------
$7357.75

$0.245 per mile
Does Mass. have any State rebates or tax advantages you can deduct? Just curious, how many Leafs did they have in stock?

No, for being a liberal state, MA has no rebates, incentives or other items that make going EV a positive. I do get "free" EV plates. :)

They had 2 leafs in stock both decked out SL models. They seem to think those will sell. They had 6 decked out 2012 SLs on the lot for the whole year last year and only sold those with the massive discounts in December.

They had to do a dealer swap with a dealer in NH to get the exact model and level of extra "crap" I wanted. I really didn't want the hologram kick plates, but I had to bend on those to get the car.

bradbissell said:
No, for being a liberal state, MA has no rebates, incentives or other items that make going EV a positive. I do get "free" EV plates. :)

They had 2 leafs in stock both decked out SL models. They seem to think those will sell. They had 6 decked out 2012 SLs on the lot for the whole year last year and only sold those with the massive discounts in December.

They had to do a dealer swap with a dealer in NH to get the exact model and level of extra "crap" I wanted. I really didn't want the hologram kick plates, but I had to bend on those to get the car.
That explains a lot. Our Norcal 2 larger local Nissan dealers have 118 and 85 Leafs in stock respectively. And there are another 4 smaller dealers within 50 miles that have about 25 each as well. I can't understand why Mass. drivers, unlike you, aren't seeing the benefits of EVs. We get free metered parking, carpool lane access, and a CA state $2500 rebate for purchases and leases of 3 years or more. I wish Mass. would provide some incentives over and above the license. You are ahead of your time.

I have missed this promotion. I think the dealers were having a really good time. No one gave me a serious email quote (except the only so-so quote I got). Leaf was sold more than 1900 in March, compared to 600+ in Jan/Feb. Their goal is 10000+ for 2013. I guess they have a few months' surplus to meet the quota already. I checked the inventory of Nissan Sunnyvale on nissanusa web site. A lot of black leaf with black interior left. Still 147 in inventory. I expect they will do sales promotion in 6 months or so. I will try my luck at that time.

Thanks everyone for your help in this forum. I have learned a lot and feel more confident to negotiate for a leaf.

will14 said:
I have missed this promotion. I think the dealers were having a really good time. No one gave me a serious email quote (except the only so-so quote I got). Leaf was sold more than 1900 in March, compared to 600+ in Jan/Feb. Their goal is 10000+ for 2013. I guess they have a few months' surplus to meet the quota already. I checked the inventory of Nissan Sunnyvale on nissanusa web site. A lot of black leaf with black interior left. Still 147 in inventory. I expect they will do sales promotion in 6 months or so. I will try my luck at that time.

Thanks everyone for your help in this forum. I have learned a lot and feel more confident to negotiate for a leaf.
Having been in the car business, I can confidently say that you didn't miss anything and if you want to wait 6 months, it's up to you. If I waited at all it would be 6 days at most. Car dealers are always dealing so they have difficulty ever convincing a customer that "this is the best and last chance ..." Dealers do not own the new cars on their lot. A dealer with 147 Leafs which they have to pay flooring costs on to the bank is always dealing.

I think I overpaid after reading all the posts here.
what options do I have (besides hanging my head in shame?)
I have received a bunch of emails asking me to rate my experience because I used VPP. do you think if I threaten my dealer to rewrite the lease agreement in exchange for favourable ratings, he would do it? he pleaded to give him 5+ ratings atleast 5 times during our conversation.
the reason I think I overpaid is because I noticed the following additional hidden fees. Are these standard or were these hidden fees?

1. VPP program gave me a base price of the vehicle at 33962. but dealer added Acquisition fee of $595? Is this standard?
2. Disposition Fee of $395. is this standard?
3. Sales Tax Paid in Advance of $6.90. is this standard?
4. California Tire Fee: of $7. is this standard?
5. DMV Electronic Fee: $20 is this standard?

Desperately needed a charge for my 2011 SV, so I pulled into Universal Nissan on Ventura Blvd. in L.A. and plugged in. Decided to push them hard for the best lease deal I could get on a 2013 S with charger package. My experience with them suggested it would not be an uplifting experience, so I was prepared to be as obnoxious as I expected them to be.

Long story short: drove one of two S models with charger package they had and sat down with a Sales Manager to trade. He cut to the chase and offered what I believe is Nissan's standard promo deal for the "S": $1,999 down, $199 a month + tax (in CA, about $217), 12K miles/yr., 36 months (in order to claim the $2,500 CARB rebate). Not certain, but I believe the charger package (listed at $1,300) would have been a bonus to the standard offer.

Told him truthfully I thought it was not a horrible deal, but others had done better and I was shopping around, and named the local dealers I was talking to. Mentioned VPP, but as I don't have a real VPP qualification, he was skeptical I could get it, and he insisted he could not make it happen for me. Stood up, shook hands and walked.

At home, I researched this thread, and emailed the dealer this proposal, which was posted here recently:

"I picked up a Leaf S with charge package in the bay area.

VPP
24 month
$205/month
0 down
15k miles"

Told him if he could match that deal, I'd come back that evening to sign it.

Haven't heard from him in two days. Asking too much for a non-VPP deal?

pdad said:
I have received a bunch of emails asking me to rate my experience because I used VPP. do you think if I threaten my dealer to rewrite the lease agreement in exchange for favourable ratings, he would do it? he pleaded to give him 5+ ratings atleast 5 times during our conversation.
the reason I think I overpaid is because I noticed the following additional hidden fees. Are these standard or were these hidden fees?

1. VPP program gave me a base price of the vehicle at 33962. but dealer added Acquisition fee of $595? Is this standard?
You wouldn't be the Lone Ranger. All of us would have overpaid if we didn't consult this forum first, even I who know the car business from the inside. We're all constantly trying to guess how low the dealer can/will go and how we can make a deal closest to that price. And that number can change as a model year progresses, supply and demand changes, unpublished and published factory to dealer incentives surface, state incentives, state by state considerations and more. Also, dealers are pros at hiding the ball and juggling the numbers so you get frustrated trying to compare deals.

That said, take heart, the VPP lease that you got has proven to be one of the best ways to get a GOOD DEAL on a Leaf. The fees you mention above, including the Dispo fee, are "standard" (I hate that word). True, as you've read, some of us "grinders" (as we are known in the business) have found a way not to pay the Dispo fee that they never mention to you until you are in the finance office, or have them lower the monthly payment an equivalent amount to get the $395 back. But ours were negotiated, NON-VPP deals. You have less recourse with the VPP because it is what it is.

If you are now saying that the Finance manager never told you about the Dispo fee and/or you never initialed it on the contract, you can be a true grinder and go in there and demand compensation. Maybe they will give in, because they REALLY DO care about that survey you fill out. More likely they will offer you some product or services that cost them little but they say value $395 or more! If, instead, you find that you didn't get your lease in accordance with VPP pricing, I'd go in and demand a refund for the difference.

But you SHOULD have gotten a good deal on the VPP. Unless they claim your credit wasn't up to snuff so they had to up the money factor, or they added some dealer extras on your car at retail prices, a dealer has very few other ways to screw the customer on a Nissan sanctioned VPP deal. Of course, they are free not to do VPP deals, but that is clearly not your case. Assuming you got the VPP deal you should have, you should not normally care how they got to their numbers and look only at the bottom line including taxes:

Down plus
Total of payments plus
Dispo fee

That is your total cost of the lease.

Everything else is rolled into those numbers and ARE standard! You may well have gotten a very good deal!

Feel free to post your deal according to the factors above and we will see whether you really got the VPP deal, as compared to others who qualified for VPP and posted their deals. Those terms are set in stone and published and, yes, always have the hidden Dispo fee as part of the agreement, as do all NMC leases.

timhebb said:
Desperately needed a charge for my 2011 SV, so I pulled into Universal Nissan on Ventura Blvd. in L.A. and plugged in. Decided to push them hard for the best lease deal I could get on a 2013 S with charger package. My experience with them suggested it would not be an uplifting experience, so I was prepared to be as obnoxious as I expected them to be.

Long story short: drove one of two S models with charger package they had and sat down with a Sales Manager to trade. He cut to the chase and offered what I believe is Nissan's standard promo deal for the "S": $1,999 down, $199 a month + tax (in CA, about $217), 12K miles/yr., 36 months (in order to claim the $2,500 CARB rebate). Not certain, but I believe the charger package (listed at $1,300) would have been a bonus to the standard offer.

Told him truthfully I thought it was not a horrible deal, but others had done better and I was shopping around, and named the local dealers I was talking to. Mentioned VPP, but as I don't have a real VPP qualification, he was skeptical I could get it, and he insisted he could not make it happen for me. Stood up, shook hands and walked.

At home, I researched this thread, and emailed the dealer this proposal, which was posted here recently:
I love your post. You are truly a sophisticated buyer - they must hate you! In short , I've monitored this site since last September, and got an incredible lease deal last October on a 3yr, 12k a year 2012 Leaf SL only because I got $2500 back from the State AND $2000 extra Nissan end of year rebate.

"I picked up a Leaf S with charge package in the bay area.

VPP
24 month
$205/month
0 down
15k miles"

Told him if he could match that deal, I'd come back that evening to sign it.

Haven't heard from him in two days. Asking too much for a non-VPP deal?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I love your post. You are truly a sophisticated buyer - they must hate you! In short , I've monitored this site since last September, and got an incredible lease deal last October on a 3yr, 12k a year Leaf SL only because I got $2500 back from the State AND a $200O extra Nissan end of year rebate.

I mention this because I will be shopping for a 2013 Leaf SL soon and know I can't get THAT same deal now because there is no $2000 Nissan rebate to figure into the numbers.

BUT, you and I should NOW qualify for the $1000 off loyalty rebate Nissan offers to prior customers. Are you unrealistic trying to get Tsowens $5200 VPP deal on his 2013 S, or the $5300 VPP deal you just mentioned (down plus total of payments plus Dispo fee). Not with your $1000 loyalty rebate. I think you can do better than VPP by paying a few hundred more for your non-VPP negotiated lease deal and getting the $1000 applied to it. Hope this helps!

PS - personally, I hope to qualify for VPP and customer loyalty. See p.20 and 21 of this thread for VPP and Loyalty breakdown.

wantonsoup said:
I did better much better than VPP, you're not asking too much.
Wontonsoup, I am excited for you. Would you mind telling us the bottom line on your lease deal with taxes and rebate so I can add them to our running totals? Down (includes 1st payment?), plus total of payments (with taxes) plus $395 Dispo fee, less $1800 Colorado tax rebate EQUALS total cost of lease. it helps us compare apples to apples. Others will surely benefit, especially considering how well you were able to get dealers down from the original $9000 + offer, excluding taxes and rebate.

will14 said:
I have missed this promotion.
How do you know the promo ended today?

Corina1231 said:
...we will see whether you really got the VPP deal. Those terms are set in stone and published and, yes, always have the hidden Dispo fee as part of the agreement, as do all NMC leases.
Where are the terms published? The initial quotes I've been getting from a dealer don't seem to match the offers I've seen posted here.

ITestStuff said:
will14 said:
I have missed this promotion.
How do you know the promo ended today?

Corina1231 said:
...we will see whether you really got the VPP deal. Those terms are set in stone and published and, yes, always have the hidden Dispo fee as part of the agreement, as do all NMC leases.
Where are the terms published? The initial quotes I've been getting from a dealer don't seem to match the offers I've seen posted here.
Evnow posted the latest VPP numbers on p.21. We have seen several recent posts for those who qualified and received VPP deals consistent with those numbers. Dealers are not required to offer VPP even to qualified buyers.

I know dealers aren't required to offer VPP. But I would expect that if they say they ARE offering it to you, then the price should be pretty close to what's being discussed here.

ITestStuff said:
I know dealers aren't required to offer VPP. But I would expect that if they say they ARE offering it to you, then the price should be pretty close to what's being discussed here.
Makes sense to me. Assuming you are eligible, have you proposed to pay Evnow's numbers to a VPP dealer have they refused to sell you a car for those numbers? I ask because I believe my employment will qualify me for VPP and I plan on going in to my local dealer in June and propose these VPP numbers, as Tsowens and Pcx999 did with success recently at the same CA dealer. DaveinOlyWA reported just a few pages back that he did the same with like success in WA last week. As did Leafinthepark in MN a couple weeks ago. I'll be interested to know your success.

You could also go to the Nissan VPP program website and fill out the very short application. They will then provide you with a list of dealers accepting VPP leases in your area and you then just check the box of one or more whom you wish to contact you.

pdad said:

You're leaving out one other 'hidden/mandatory' fee: the tax on the $7500. It varies depending on your state's rate.

LEAFfan said:
pdad said:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

LEAFfan writes:

You're leaving out one other 'hidden/mandatory' fee: the tax on the $7500. It varies depending on your state's rate.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

True, but these fees, except for the dispo fee, are rolled either into the down or the monthly payment. So all we really need to know for comparison purposes is:

Down plus
Total of payments plus
Dispo fee

= Total cost of lease

Would you mind sharing with me how you were able to get a charger w/ install so cheap ? I've seen some sort of 'rebate' on install, but I have no idea how they work. Any info is great. Thanks

braineo said:
Depends on the answer to these questions:
How much you pay for gas now - is it a no brainer with what you'll save in gas?
Have you checked your insurance costs?
Are you in a EV friendly state with rebates for leases and with time of use electricity rates?
Do you have access to evproject subsidised L2 charger

For me the answers were:
$250 /gas savings per month
$360 for 6 months for extra car
$5k rebate in GA and drumroll
$0.013063 per KWH at super off peak rate from 11pm-7am year round
Yes, installed cost fror Blink unit was $119 out of pocket.

I was able to get a 2011 SL orphan with QC for $26775 + tax tag and tile fees ($28750 total out the door)
In month and a half I've driven 1,700 gasless miles and love it. The economics were such that it was a no brainer. I don't care how good the 2013 SL could be when my total cost for a brand new car was $16,250 after tax credits.

iriedodge said:
Would you mind sharing with me how you were able to get a charger w/ install so cheap ? I've seen some sort of 'rebate' on install, but I have no idea how they work. Any info is great. Thanks
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=692

Or check with your local utility to see what programs they offer.

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/savings-calculator?next=model.overview.leaf.savings_calculator.link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think that will point you towards local incentives.

Back