2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rsk said:
Just picked up my new 2014 Leaf S with QC today. Got a 36 month lease at 15k miles for $0 down and $206.56 per month for 35 months. Hopefully I got a good deal. I think I did.

That's so much better than anything I was offered at five different local Nissan dealerships. Which dealer did you go through?

Rsk said:
Just picked up my new 2014 Leaf S with QC today. Got a 36 month lease at 15k miles for $0 down and $206.56 per month for 35 months. Hopefully I got a good deal. I think I did.

Is this including tax? Where are you located? I am in SF Bay area and would probably consider a similar lease...

Good deals still can be had on 2014's if you can find them in stock. We just picked up a SL at a great price on 7/4 in SF/Bay Area.

2014 Nissan Leaf SL with Premium, splash guard, and mats.
36 month/36000 mile lease
$2500 drive off including 1st month payment
$212.xx per month (including 8.75% tax)
(Price is after VPP discount)

This deal may be an independence day special and the best one I received out of all my inquiries.

ucbsupafly said:
Good deals still can be had on 2014's if you can find them in stock. We just picked up a SL at a great price on 7/4 in SF/Bay Area.

Man, I would maim (not kill) for that deal. Congrats! I'm not finding anything comparable in the LA area after going through five dealerships. I would really prefer a Leaf with QC, but I'm finding much better prices on the Ford Focus Electric (no QC!) and Chevy Spark EV (slow level 2 and QC port that's not widely deployed). :(

ucbsupafly said:

This deal may be an independence day special and the best one I received out of all my inquiries.

Darn it..
In MD all I am getting is 385/month after talking to most of the dealers with 0 down. We have a requirement to pay up taxes upfront, which drives up the cost by another 1500 dollars. Anyone else can help with the numbers / good dealer.

RPadTV said:
ucbsupafly said:

Man, I would maim (not kill) for that deal. Congrats! I'm not finding anything comparable in the LA area after going through five dealerships. I would really prefer a Leaf with QC, but I'm finding much better prices on the Ford Focus Electric (no QC!) and Chevy Spark EV (slow level 2 and QC port that's not widely deployed). :(

What kind of deals are you getting on the Ford Focus EV. I'm not limited to Leaf only.

Rsk said:

I am not sure how people are getting these low leases.. Where are you located and so they have more cars left?

This is what i got, and it was WITH VPP pricing.

2015 leaf S with QC, floor mats and cargo net, splash guards.
MSRP $32,000....... Invoice according to Edmunds is $30316

LEASE: 36 months, 15k miles $0 Drive off (1st payment, tax title reg plus fees rolled in)
Vehicle price after rebate =$22,065 ($7500 rebate applied so $29,565 appears to be agredmed price which is less than $1000 below invoice)
35 payments at $369.84
Residual $12,480

PURCHASE: $29565 -$3500 rebate =$26065
72 months at 464.93 (4.99% interest)

My tax rate is 8%.

Something doesnt look right here, payments seem way too high for both lease and purchase?

ucbsupafly said:

(Price is after VPP discount)

Which dealer in SF/Bay Area have those deals?

Current deal in Phoenix
2014 LEAF 0.0% APR financing for up to 72 months plus $3,500 NMAC cash for well qualified buyers
Subject to residency restrictions. Customer may choose (a) special APR with NMAC cash, (b) standard APR through NMAC with NMAC cash. Financing is subject to NMAC Tier 1 through Tier 3 credit approval. $13.89 per month per $1,000 financed at 0.0% for 72 months, on all new above-noted vehicles in dealer stock. NMAC cash available when you finance through NMAC and is subject to credit approval. Down payment may be required. Available on purchase. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See dealer for details. Offers end 07/31/2014

Buy 0% + $3500 cash sounds like a good deal ?

Area: Greater Seattle, WA
Lease signed: July 5th 2014
Picked up vehicle and returned our 2012 SL Leaf lease: July 12 2014
Dealership: Eastside (Bellevue)

2014 SV with charge/LED, silver
Down payment: $4k (that was my preference)
Monthly: 23 payments of $114.5 each
If we want to purchase at end, it's about $17k.

It was definitely part of the July 4th frenzy. For several days I bargained hard with several dealerships. As usual, some were clueless, some indifferent (the closest one to us, Campbell-Nelson, repeated its 2012 attitude of "we're not going to try too hard, we're too satisfied with ourselves anyway"). But 2-3 were really into it. The winning offer came through only at the last day, but at least one other dealership offered a similar deal, alas a day too late.

I insisted on the SV+charge (was originally also looking at the S+charge but changed my mind after seeing all that's missing, our 2012 was an SL). It's the trim that ran out first around here; it seems no dealership would share its remaining ones with any other. The hauled ours from Wenatchee ~150 miles away (in principle you could QC it across the mountains, but the dealership ppl would probably not know how :). We could walk off the lot with a black one, but my wife was against for good reason.

I could also easily walk off the lot on July 5 with an SL for only a teeny bit more, but I dislike leather seats. Feels decadent to me, and seems like it's mandatory with the SL. Around here it seems the SL is by far the most common 2014 remaining.

I plan to join the 21st Century and order that gizmo that enables Leaf Spy (we didn't even have a smartphone when we got our 2012). We'll charge mostly trickle (I like how that charger became so much smaller and sturdy-looking!), but plan to get a Clipper Creek with NEMA 14-50 to take advantage of 6.6kW and enable longer trips using RV sockets, as well as the occasional quicker charge at home (it so happens that 14-50 is also the standard socket for pottery kilns of which we have one in our garage).

2014 Nissan Leaf SL w/ Premium Package
36 Month Lease / 12k Miles per Year
VPP Pricing
MSRP: $37,395
Negotiated Price: $33,700
Residual Value: $14,584.05
Money Factor: 0.0008
Total Drive Off : $2500 (getting this back through CA rebate so essentially zero down)
Monthly Payment including tax: $227.54

I think I got a fair deal?

dinoleaf said:
2014 Nissan Leaf SL w/ Premium Package
36 Month Lease / 12k Miles per Year
VPP Pricing
MSRP: $37,395
Negotiated Price: $33,700
Residual Value: $14,584.05
Money Factor: 0.0008
Total Drive Off : $2500 (getting this back through CA rebate so essentially zero down)
Monthly Payment including tax: $227.54

I think I got a fair deal?
Dealer Name?

Before You Lease...

I love the Leaf! It's super quiet and smooth running, far more so than a Prius. BUT, if you plan to lease a Leaf for the normal 3 years or so and expect Leaf ownership to result in "lower than Prius" CO2 emissions, think again. Here's why...

Most sources calculate that producing a Leaf generates around 10 tons of CO2. Prius production is about 2 tons less. But even if emissions from producing the two cars were equal, leasing a Leaf every 3 years, compared to buying a Prius every 6 years, will result in higher CO2 emissions from Leaf ownership despite the Leaf's generally lower CO2 emissions (in most of the country's urban cities).

This is a real problem. Many Leaf buyers recognize that advancements in EV technology are changing fairly quickly and this drives them to lease their Leafs. In many ways that makes sense. But environmentally, frequent Leaf leasing simply results in more Leafs being produced and the tons of CO2 required to produce each one don't have adequate time to be amortized over a long enough time period to compete with the typical hybrid ownership period.

Like I said, I love the Leaf and EVs generally. But if the pace of technological change induces owners to replace them frequently, the assumed environmental benefits may be far less than Leaf owners assume.

Don't shoot me. I'm only the messenger.

GregNC said:
...if the pace of technological change induces owners to replace them frequently, the assumed environmental benefits may be far less than Leaf owners assume.

Don't shoot me. I'm only the messenger.
So what happens to the LEAFs that get turned back in? Are they crushed or something?

Oh, wait - maybe someone else buys them and offsets more CO2 for another three years, so that we're talking about equal time periods!

I haven't even had any coffee yet and that "apples and oranges" fallacy jumped out at me. Sheesh.

A Leaf turned back in is still driven and continues to be low CO2 cars. No question. And that's true for any low CO2 car. But the fundamental issue here is that the more frequently people buy cars, the harder it is to overcome CO2 from production with low CO2 from operation. Think of it this way, even if a car ran purely on sunlight, if you buy (lease) a new one often enough, the CO2 produced from manufacturing might still be more than buying a car emits CO2 during operation, but is not sold/discarded for a long time.

There's no free lunch with EVs or any other car. Making cars produces significant CO2. If everyone decided to buy a new EV every 3 years or so, CO2 from car operations would plummet, but CO2 from industrial production would skyrocket.

There MAY be a way around this, though its probably not a long term solution. If you want to keep up with changing technological advancements by leasing a new Leaf every 3 years, you could pay for about 10 tons of carbon offsetting (Gold Standard certified only) every time you lease a new Leaf. The cost would be about $300. I'm not a seller of offsets, have no financial interest in them and realize that their is some controversy about the offset business. But if you want to replace cars often, overcoming the high CO2 generated each time a new car is produced requires a carbon offset or something similar to avoid making net CO2 emissions increase.

@GregNC:

1. I think you posted this in the wrong thread. You should have started a new thread under the Environment topic. Then you would have the fun of arguing not with Leafers who dig CO2 emissions, but with those who actually deny that there is such thing as CO2 :lol:

2. To be fair, the point you make is being made repeatedly by some environmentalists (see e.g., Climate Central), and then picked up and amplified by generally anti-EV folks in the mainstream press (along the lines of: "not only are EVs ridiculous, they are not even environmental").

It is valid if you look at auto emissions via the nickel-and-dime prism, i.e., just looking at each Leaf's emissions in isolation.

But if you look at the big picture, then the lot of us leasing a new Leaf every 3 or even 2 years and flooding the markets with used Leafs that always eventually find a home, present a threat to the ICE and oil company business model, that no Prius (except the plug-in type) can match.

We are beginning to build a critical mass of cars that simply *don't need oil* - either ever (BEVs), or for a substantial part of their use (PHEVs/EREVs). Fossil-fuel extraction is a business that always looks forward to high-investment exploration. As long as the prospects are roughly "business as usual", there will be appetite to explore and drill more.

But once the single biggest chunk of oil consumption - ground transportation - shows clear signs of moving beyond oil, the value of this entire line of business will plummet. Just like is happening *right now*, to coal.

Since the fight against global warming boils down to Leave It In the Ground, this is of utmost importance. Hence, the faster we reach a critical mass and momentum of EV demand and production capacity, the better our chances to derail the Oil economy, and stop the appetite for ambitious oil exploration, before it's too late

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the insightful comment, even if made at a strange location :)

Assaf

Assaf,

I'm certainly not a climate change denier. My wife and I have two hybrids in the garage and are vegetarian, in part, due to the methane impact of raising livestock.

My Leaf test drive was excellent and I'd like one! But I also want to make sure that buying one is not a mistake. Like you, I've read that EVs are great ... and not great. I'm trying to wrap my head around the numbers and determine which sources of information are most credible. I had no idea that the process would be so complex.

Initially, I was thinking that a surge in short-term leases would cause CO2 from Leaf manufacture to outweigh the benefits of lower CO2 from Leaf operation - at least in the short term. And I still think that may be true. But if it is true, it would be true of hybrids as well.

Perhaps more important are issues such as (a) the number of miles/years a Leaf is likely to clock before being scrapped, compared to a hybrid and (b) what car the new average Leaf owner gives up (if any) in exchange for a new Leaf?

Every source on this issue seems to have a potential bias one way or the other.

Ah.. analysis paralysis.

Greg hi,

I found the same set of confusing numbers and sources you describe, so I dug a bit deeper and wrote this:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/16/1238550/-Dispelling-Electric-Vehicle-Myths-1-About-that-CO2-Footprint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The numbers are actually looking better and better for EVs, since Nissan announced its battery replacement program, which means you will only "scrap" (hopefully recycle) the battery, while barring accidents the vehicle itself can easily last 20 years or so. Also Nissan seems to follow BMW's lead with the i3, and try to reduce the overall production footprint itself.

But as I just said, IMHO with EVs it's the big picture of derailing the Big Oil status quo that matters, more than the per-vehicle CO2 accounting. Here's what I wrote about that:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/23/1240617/-Dispelling-Electric-Vehicle-Myths-2-Other-Environmental-Issues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan to post an up-to-date version of that on insideevs.com; the draft is almost ready.

Cheers, Assaf

Back