2011 Leaf brake question - long downhill drive from home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
platbr said:
Yup, it's that cheap (almost free). Just 2.7 cents. Link: http://www.chelanpud.org/rates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That wonderful free renewable fuel hydropower :D
82% of electric power provided is hydropower :D
Of course there is that $7.70 per month service charge, which based on US annual average kWh use is a bit less than 1 cent per kWh for the service charge.
But yes really cheap.
An electric bill that is less than the water and wastewater bill in quite a few places.
It's almost cheap enough to export :mrgreen:

Imagine a fleet of electric powered vehicles hauling Tesla batteries in to be charged, then hauling out to be depleted elsewhere where rates are many times higher.

knightmb said:
It's almost cheap enough to export :mrgreen:

Imagine a fleet of electric powered vehicles hauling Tesla batteries in to be charged, then hauling out to be depleted elsewhere where rates are many times higher.

One of the problems we have locally is the "scourge" of bitcoin miners setting up shop because of the super cheap electricity. It's even less for businesses. That reduces the amount of power we can sell outside the area to other electricity customers who need it for their EVs.

So I tried a couple things this morning, which worked very well. First, I set a nearly 24 hour timer capped at 80%. Next, I left home and drove more slowly down the hill, which resulted in better regenerative charging. Last, I bought my wife two extra glasses of wine to deal with her range anxiety (not really). This resulted in pretty good regenerative charging all the way to town (10 miles) and although we didn't get a ton of battery back, it kept the car going more slowly and I didn't have to use the brakes. Arrived back home with 5/12 bars.

A bit of information about my 2015 leaf: Today using eco and B drive starting at 600 feet above sea level with 93 % charge and essentially no braking the speed got up to 65 MPH at the bottom of the first hill. Earlier in the week the same conditions except for an 80% starting charge resulted in 44 MPH at the bottom. At that point I would guess altitude is less than 100 feet. I gain about three miles over the whole trip to the bottom, and of course must give it back on the way home.

During the first 6 months of ownership I always charged to 100% and had to use a lot of braking to stay within the 40 MPH speed limit, After that, unless I need more range (like today) I charge to 80-85% and seldom need to use any braking. Of course, if the road was steeper braking would be needed in the case of the 93% charge. During the steepest two sections charging gets up to 4 green buttons. At least for this car the 80% strategy works very well.

Bob

boba said:
A bit of information about my 2015 leaf: Today using eco and B drive starting at 600 feet above sea level with 93 % charge and essentially no braking the speed got up to 65 MPH at the bottom of the first hill. Earlier in the week the same conditions except for an 80% starting charge resulted in 44 MPH at the bottom. At that point I would guess altitude is less than 100 feet. I gain about three miles over the whole trip to the bottom, and of course must give it back on the way home.

Same result here. 80% charge provides quite a lot of braking/charging and it helps keep my speed way down without having to ride the brakes. It's a pretty good solution if I keep the speed down to maximize the charging.

abasile said:
platbr said:
I think this is probably going to be a fine solution: (1) charge 80%, (2) go more slowly down the hill, and (3) charge in town when needed.
In your shoes I definitely would try leaving home with less than 80% charge. I think you'll be much happier with the regenerative braking that way. You can set up a charge timer with no start time and with an end time. Then try unplugging the car maybe 60-90 minutes before that end time. Of course, you'll probably want to experiment to see what works best for you. At least you have charging options down the hill, so you won't be stranded if you miscalculate.
My experience is much more limited, but given ABasile's well trod path on this, I'd take said advice as highly credible especially if your battery temp is low and regen very likely limited...

Back