2011, 2012 Nissan Leaf Leasing Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ocean said:
The funny thing is that I got car from one of them. I must be lucky! LOL!

I definitely think you were lucky. I think the fact that they had the car you wanted on their lot helped though, if they had it when I went there, perhaps my experience would have been different.

madbrain said:
ocean said:
madbrain, you are just too nice to them. I feel sorry about your story. Use my quote as your weapon on any dealers.

I really wonder, which dealer did the deal for you ?

I walked out on 3 dealers, so I can't have been too nice. None of them tried to get us to come back in when we did.

Stevens Creek said the very best they could do was $11,800 over 3 years for the blue SL.
You got it for $9,317, that's an amazing difference.

How many miles was your deal ocean for $9,317 ? Note the difference between 12,000 miles vs. 15,000 miles at 15 cents per mile is $450 per year. Times three that's 450x3 = 1,350.

Regardless, $9,317 above seems like a great deal. Anyone else match or beat this?

(for those following this closely, it's really 9,317 - Calif. rebate 2500 = 6,817 for 36 months)

jon said:
madbrain said:
ocean said:
madbrain, you are just too nice to them. I feel sorry about your story. Use my quote as your weapon on any dealers.

I really wonder, which dealer did the deal for you ?

I walked out on 3 dealers, so I can't have been too nice. None of them tried to get us to come back in when we did.

Stevens Creek said the very best they could do was $11,800 over 3 years for the blue SL.
You got it for $9,317, that's an amazing difference.

How many miles was your deal ocean for $9,317 ? Note the difference between 12,000 miles vs. 15,000 miles at 15 cents per mile is $450 per year. Times three that's 450x3 = 1,350.

Regardless, $9,317 above seems like a great deal. Anyone else match or beat this?

(for those following this closely, it's really 9,317 - Calif. rebate 2500 = 6,817 for 36 months)
12,000 miles.

madbrain, timing is important. Too late, they are all gone. Too early, many will have better deal than you. I leased my RX350 just after "unintended acceleration story of toyota'. Lexus had hard time to move the car, I then leased it and yet to find better deal than mine.

ocean said:
madbrain, timing is important. Too late, they are all gone. Too early, many will have better deal than you. I leased my RX350 just after "unintended acceleration story of toyota'. Lexus had hard time to move the car, I then leased it and yet to find better deal than mine.

Yes, it seems that way, the blue SL are all gone now.
The dealer you bought it from said they only have one black SV left, and aren't getting any more Leaf in. I guess that means they won't be stocking any more 2012. The 2013 must be around the corner, or at least the announcement.

Hey all...I've been lurking on this forum as I'm in the market to lease a Leaf (hopefully)...I'm in CA so am looking at a 36 month lease. The one question I have is on the rebate amounts and specifically if you have to pay tax on that?

Can anyone confirm?

evsurfer said:
Hey all...I've been lurking on this forum as I'm in the market to lease a Leaf (hopefully)...I'm in CA so am looking at a 36 month lease. The one question I have is on the rebate amounts and specifically if you have to pay tax on that?

Can anyone confirm?
By rebate amounts and "pay tax on that", are you talking about the Federal tax credit or the CVRP or both?

cwerdna said:
evsurfer said:

Can anyone confirm?
By rebate amounts and "pay tax on that", are you talking about the Federal tax credit or the CVRP or both?

Yes, thanks for the clarifying question. Do i have to pay tax on the Federal tax credit? Also, how about any Nissan "credits."

evsurfer said:
cwerdna said:
Yes, thanks for the clarifying question. Do i have to pay tax on the Federal tax credit? Also, how about any Nissan "credits."
The answer is that you pay sales tax on the car's price tag after subtracting the Nissan credits, but before taking off the Federal and State incentives. You don't pay income tax on either one.

I finally was able to get mine, but it wasn't easy. The inventory around the bay area has been drying up the last few weeks.

I picked mine up from Burlingame Nissan today. The one I got was their last 2012 model, an ocean blue SL. I think the 2013 will be coming soon.

The deal I got wasn't the best compared to what some others have gotten. I got in my car and almost on my way two times after the negotiations broke down. They had claimed on the phone they would match the $249/month + tax with $0 down that Sunnyvale Ford is offering on 3 of their Ford Focus EV on a 39 months lease. In the end they could not actually do it, but they came close enough, and after going to 4 dealerships already we didn't feel like going to yet another one again.

I did a 39 months lease. I put $1000 down, then 38 payments of $267. This is including taxes. Total : $11,146.
Once I get the $2500 California rebate, this will average down to $221.70/month over the 39 months duration of the lease. Yes, I know it's out of warranty at 36, but I'm hoping Nissan will take it back before - supposedly they often want to take them just before the end of the warranty so they can sell them as certified preowned. I will worry about it when I get there.

The Leaf wasn't fully charged, only 8 bars when I picked it up. It said 62 miles in eco mode. I drove it home for about 40 miles in heavy traffic most of the time and not too fast . I stopped at Fry's in Sunnyvale only to find out the chargers didn't match. The car had 9 miles left when I got home. It's been charging for 3 hours and still only 18. 110V charging is really very slow ! Can't wait to get the L2 charger installed.

madbrain said:
I finally was able to get mine, but it wasn't easy. The inventory around the bay area has been drying up the last few weeks.

I picked mine up from Burlingame Nissan today. The one I got was their last 2012 model, an ocean blue SL. I think the 2013 will be coming soon.

The deal I got wasn't the best compared to what some others have gotten. I got in my car and almost on my way two times after the negotiations broke down. They had claimed on the phone they would match the $249/month + tax with $0 down that Sunnyvale Ford is offering on 3 of their Ford Focus EV on a 39 months lease. In the end they could not actually do it, but they came close enough, and after going to 4 dealerships already we didn't feel like going to yet another one again.

I did a 39 months lease. I put $1000 down, then 38 payments of $267. This is including taxes. Total : $11,146.
Once I get the $2500 California rebate, this will average down to $221.70/month over the 39 months duration of the lease. Yes, I know it's out of warranty at 36, but I'm hoping Nissan will take it back before - supposedly they often want to take them just before the end of the warranty so they can sell them as certified preowned. I will worry about it when I get there.

The Leaf wasn't fully charged, only 8 bars when I picked it up. It said 62 miles in eco mode. I drove it home for about 40 miles in heavy traffic most of the time and not too fast . I stopped at Fry's in Sunnyvale only to find out the chargers didn't match. The car had 9 miles left when I got home. It's been charging for 3 hours and still only 18. 110V charging is really very slow ! Can't wait to get the L2 charger installed.

Congratulations madbrain. I don't think you did too bad at $11,146 for 39m at 12k/year given current market conditions in the SF south bay. Were you able to understand why inventories dried up in the past 2 to 3 weeks?

My gut tells me it's because these cars are made in Japan and the next time a large ship arrives in Oakland or LA we'll have plenty of inventories again. It's interesting Nissan is running very aggressive lease commercials on TV in the SF bay area this month but there are no cars available at dealer's lots at the moment.

39 months is long enough. I suspect the range will be reduced by 40% at the end of your lease terms. By then we will all want a new one with better technologies (just like iPhone upgrades).

jon said:
Congratulations madbrain. I don't think you did too bad at $11,146 for 39m at 12k/year given current market conditions in the SF south bay. Were you able to understand why inventories dried up in the past 2 to 3 weeks?

I am not exactly sure, the dealer in Burlingame said one guy bought a Leaf from them then told all his coworkers about it and many of them got one for themselves. Just an anecdote. Personally I tend to think this is a combination of the prices of gas in California having come close to $5/gallon, the lease incentives that Nissan is offering, and the fact that this is the end of the 2012 model.

Elections are coming up too, who knows if those federal tax credits are going to get renewed with the next president/congress, my guess is that this is why Nissan and other EV makers are pushing to unload them - if the credits expire, they may be sitting on a lot of inventory.

It's interesting Nissan is running very aggressive lease commercials on TV in the SF bay area this month but there are no cars available at dealer's lots at the moment.

There are a few Leaf, but not much of a selection, getting my choice of color sure was a pain.

39 months is long enough.

Yes, I agree it's long enough.

I suspect the range will be reduced by 40% at the end of your lease terms.

I hope it's not that bad, since the range on day 1 was not very impressive, but it wasn't fully charge, will have to see what it does tomorrow.

By then we will all want a new one with better technologies (just like iPhone upgrades).

Yes, I am sure I will want the 6.6kw charger someday to speed up the charge, so in 39 months I will be getting something that does.

I could have gotten the Ford Focus EV today instead which features it, but that car just looks too much like a conventional car, IMO. I did not get as far as test driving it. The Ford focus EV also does not appear to feature a CD player which I find strange, at least the Leaf has one. I know they both have USB but I still have hundreds of CDs, and my partner has thousands.

madbrain said:

Congrats! Hope the Leaf works out for you for the drives you outlined in one of your other threads.

You'll come to discover why the "DTE" indicator is referred to as the GOM. You might want to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you haven't already.

If you have to shell out for the L2 EVSE and installation, then you may want to just get your L1 EVSE upgraded via http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; instead. This assumes you have access to a 240 volt outlet where you charge or can use something like a Quick 220.

Even in hotter San Jose, I think you will see no more than15-25% battery degradation. Granted the jury is out on moderate climates so only time will tel but you should be much better than 40%

madbrain said:

Congratulations!

You will be fine with range anxiety. I had same feeling when I picked up my car. But now it is all gone after just one week. I just made a trip from San Jose to San Francisco Crissy Field two days ago.

ocean said:
Congratulations!

You will be fine with range anxiety. I had same feeling when I picked up my car. But now it is all gone after just one week. I just made a trip from San Jose to San Francisco Crissy Field two days ago.

Thanks!

I wish I could be as optimistic. Sunday was my first day with the car, I only made it home with one bar and 5 miles blinking and low battery warning.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the gory details.

I'm not quite sure how many miles your trip was but my last trip to SF was 54 miles from my home one-way - in my Prius of course. I don't think I will ever be attempting it with the Leaf.

I'm starting to think that we may keep both Priuses anyway even with this Leaf.

madbrain said:
ocean said:
Thanks!

I wish I could be as optimistic. Sunday was my first day with the car, I only made it home with one bar and 5 miles blinking and low battery warning.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the gory details.

I'm not quite sure how many miles your trip was but my last trip to SF was 54 miles from my home one-way - in my Prius of course. I don't think I will ever be attempting it with the Leaf.
There's no way I'd want to do a roundtrip from my house to SF in a Leaf w/o lots of L2 charging time in SF or using a QC in between (e.g. at VW's facility in Belmont or Stanford Mall). It's 59.9 miles (I'm in south SJ), one way, mostly highway for me. It would be dicey if one or both QCs is broken.

cwerdna said:
There's no way I'd want to do a roundtrip from my house to SF in a Leaf w/o lots of L2 charging time in SF or using a QC in between (e.g. at VW's facility in Belmont or Stanford Mall). It's 59.9 miles (I'm in south SJ), one way, mostly highway for me. It would be dicey if one or both QCs is broken.
Agreed. It's possible without quick charging if you go slow on the freeway, and plan on getting at least couple of hours of level 2 charge in the City. If you are staying in SF a bit longer, and can get 3-4 hours of 240V charging done, you could afford to go faster. Still, it's a stretch without quick charging. You can read about my 107-mile attempt on a single charge from Santa Clara here.

madbrain said:
ocean said:
Congratulations!

Thanks!

Yes, it was exactly I thought - "Why do I get a big golf cart?" And now? What I think is how to put more miles on the Leaf. It is so joyful to drive.

You will learn how to drive Leaf efficiently in very short time. And it is fun! OK, driving my 335i coupe is one kind of of fun, but driving leaf for 30 miles and see only 4 bars drop is another kind of fun(achievement?)! Please note that I do not block the traffic. No matter how you want to get more range, we should not do that. Stay on right lane, if you have to.

SL's QC port comes handy. There are 4 QC stations in peninsula and 3 of them are free as of now! Not sure how long will Blink free offer last, though.

I made my trip from West San Jose with full charge, then headed to QC station at Belmont. I had 4 bars drop when I arrived. QC charge for 10 min, got 2 bars back. Headed to Crissy Field for Free charge and play. Nice view and nice beach, plenty of things to do. They only allow you charge 2 hours there. Even the station said it only provide 120V charge, I still gained 2 bars back from 7 bars in 2 hours, not sure why. The rest of day we were just running around in SF like pier 39 and Chinatown with no addition charge. We still had 8 bars when we left SF. I originally plan to stop by QC at Belmont again which I found no need. 8 bars can get me back to home without doubt if I drove not too aggressively. But I still stopped by QC at Menlo Park for 20mins charge because it is free. I got 7 bars back from 4 bars(should be 5 bars but I knew QC is ahead of me so I drove 70 mph in carpool lane). When I arrived home, I still got 7 bars left. That means I only spend about $1 on electric gas for whole SF trip! Isn't it great?

"Note Nissan do not recommend you use QC more than once a day."

See My SF Trip

ocean said:
madbrain said:
ocean said:
Congratulations!

Thanks!

Yes, it was exactly I thought - "Why do I get a big golf cart?" And now? What I think is how to put more miles on the Leaf. It is so joyful to drive.

You will learn how to drive Leaf efficiently in very short time. And it is fun! OK, driving my 335i coupe is one kind of of fun, but driving leaf for 30 miles and see only 4 bars drop is another kind of fun(achievement?)! Please note that I do not block the traffic. No matter how you want to get more range, we should not do that. Stay on right lane, if you have to.

SL's QC port comes handy. There are 4 QC stations in peninsula and 3 of them are free as of now! Not sure how long will Blink free offer last, though.

I made my trip from West San Jose with full charge, then headed to QC station at Belmont. I had 4 bars drop when I arrived. QC charge for 10 min, got 2 bars back. Headed to Crissy Field for Free charge and play. Nice view and nice beach, plenty of things to do. They only allow you charge 2 hours there. Even the station said it only provide 120V charge, I still gained 2 bars back from 7 bars in 2 hours, not sure why. The rest of day we were just running around in SF like pier 39 and Chinatown with no addition charge. We still had 8 bars when we left SF. I originally plan to stop by QC at Belmont again which I found no need. 8 bars can get me back to home without doubt if I drove not too aggressively. But I still stopped by QC at Menlo Park for 20mins charge because it is free. I got 7 bars back from 4 bars. When I arrived home, I still got 7 bars left. That means I only spend about $1 on electric gas for whole SF trip! Isn't it great?

"Note Nissan do not recommend you use QC more than once a day."

See My SF Trip

thanks for details of your trip Ocean. You wanted the LEAF to work and you found a way! not really that tough but at the same time, many would think it inconvenient to stop even once for such a short trip. They have options as well; just not nearly as much fun, cheap, cool or what have you.

my other car is a Prius and we frequently leave it home to charge the LEAF on the road. sure its 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there that could be spent on other things but its all in what you make of it. sometimes its easy to make use of that time. Sometimes its just a chance to catch up on email, Facebook or whatever.

but short periods of time spent doing that are numerous through out my day anyway. whether its the dentist, doctor, work, waiting in line at the grocery store, etc. it is a lifestyle and I much prefer it to the alternative

DaveinOlyWA said:
thanks for details of your trip Ocean. You wanted the LEAF to work and you found a way! not really that tough but at the same time, many would think it inconvenient to stop even once for such a short trip. They have options as well; just not nearly as much fun, cheap, cool or what have you.
I agree. That is why I am thinking different way next time - I will drive to SF without stop and find a garage with L2 charge which I found quite a bit from plugshare.com. Park there at least 4 hours then head back.

My math: 12bars (Home) --> 3bars (arrive SF) --> 10bars (4 hours L2 Charge) --> 1 bar (Home).

Back