2011/12 Upgrade to dual stock chargers or 2013 charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hillzofvalp said:
Tim, can I have your seat extenders? I'm in Nashville. I was considering getting those after driving 320 miles in a day...
No, still plan to install them ;)
They're available for $225 from http://extendmyseat.com/nissan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

BTW, a thought occurred to me looking at the 2011/12 DC Junction Box last night. First is that its not much smaller than the 2013+ PDM, and also that there seems to be quite a bit of clearance behind it.

Here's a cutaway picture of the engine bay, showing the DC JB just behind the inverter:
rep1119_002_l.jpg

Its my understanding that the 2013+ PDM incorporates the functionality of both the 2011/12 DC JB and charger. It might just be possible to squeeze the PDM into the stock location of the 2011/12 DC JB, which already has the AC and HV wiring running to it as well as coolant lines. Access would be trick on a fully assembled vehicle, and would probably require pulling the inverter at a minimum. The wiring is also different, so modifications to the wiring harness would be required. Then there would still be possible wiring and CAN differences to resolve, but this might provide a possible mounting solution for either a 2013+ charger in a 2011/12, or maybe even a second 2011/12 charger.

Here's an image of the 2011/12 DC JB, its not small:
rep1049_019.jpg

At some point I will try and look at the 2013 PDM I picked up in more detail, but externally it looks like the bulk of its depth is made up of the coolant block that I believe is sized to remove heat from both the PDM, and inverter (and maybe even motor too?). If there was some reasonable way to cut that down or replace it with something sized just to support the DC:DC converter and charger fitting might be more feasible.

Here's a picture of the PDM with the cover removed:
7IpTfyH2MeLixA09U-kNUSFpJjuMn5iV3GexJqRqDR7m41rBv6bJAmiXynkx1L2uPVqXBa9Kq-6noH971kU4=w426-h240-n

From what I can see on mine, there doesn't appear to be much of any active circuitry below the first horizontal plate. Everything from there down, making up at least half the height appears to be the cooling block.

Rob

Back