20 J1772 plugs at Disneyland California!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like its time to change the title on this thread. Can't get much more official than this:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/electric-vehicle-charging-stations-now-available-at-disneyland-resort/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bateman said:
A place like Disney doesn't really even need L2 charging equipment. Most people will likely be there all day, where L1 (120 outlet) access would likely suffice.

Really.

So, I drove my Rav4 EV there from San Diego a few weeks ago, which is about 90 miles from my house. I needed a full charge to return home.

Please indicate what day I would be able to return waiting for 120 / 12 amp (1.44kW) charging at 70% efficiency. My car goes 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) with the heater off at 65mph down the freeway back to San Diego.

In other words:

1.44kWh * 70% = 1kWh per hour of charging or 3.4 miles added per hour, or 90 miles divided by 3.4 miles = 26.5 hours to replenish 90 miles. I only stayed about 5 hours in the morning.

The bottom line; ONE SIZE DOESNT FIT ALL, unless every site were 80 amp * 250 volt J1772. That's not super efficient, so an assortment of maybe 20% 80 amps, 60% 30 amps and 20% 12 amps @ 120 volts is closer to ideal, with a sliding charge scale reflecting the faster to slower units.

Never leave charge stations free unless you want them blocked with freeloaders / opportunists, those using the spot because it's an open parking spot and those overstaying their charge time.

TonyWilliams said:
Never leave charge stations free unless you want them blocked with freeloaders / opportunists, those using the spot because it's an open parking spot and those overstaying their charge time.
I agree that they shouldn't be free, but in the case of Disneyland, if the minimum fee + $/kWh instead of $/hour, what's to keep someone from parking there all day even though their car needed a few hours of charging? The number of stations might seem adequate for now, but as more people switch to driving electrically, those spots will likely become full of cars that are fully charged, leaving those who need a charge out of luck if all the spots get used up, unless they want to wait until someone happens to leave early.

mikeEmike said:
I agree that they shouldn't be free, but in the case of Disneyland, if the minimum fee + $/kWh instead of $/hour, what's to keep someone from parking there all day even though their car needed a few hours of charging? The number of stations might seem adequate for now, but as more people switch to driving electrically, those spots will likely become full of cars that are fully charged, leaving those who need a charge out of luck if all the spots get used up, unless they want to wait until someone happens to leave early.
Which is a good point, but I don't think you can realistically expect someone to schlep all the way back to the parking structure, move their car and back to the park in the middle of the day when you are likely already paying almost $400 in tickets for 10 hours of fun. I'd rather pay $1/hr to leave my car there even when it's not charging than move it.

Frankly, if the charging stations fill up, I really hope that Disney simply adds another 20 plugs. Perhaps at least install a bunch of L1 plugs for overflow? Either way, Tony is right - L1 is only good for PHEVs - EVs getting there near empty need L2 16A minimum. Dual plug CT5000s with 16-30A depending on how many cars are plugged in are a good compromise. If I make the trip, I'll need to stop for 15 min at a QC to get there (73 miles there which means I could squeak in with a new LEAF at 65 mph, but I'm down almost 20% which leaves me 15 miles short. 15 minutes at SJC should give me 16 miles or enough to make it there around LBW. Charge back up to 100% for the trip home and another 15 minute stop at a DCQC on the way back).

It'd be interesting to monitor how busy they are. Right now no-one is using them (but it's Monday and still early), but I checked randomly last week and it looked like 5 plugs were in use.

Not everyone does an all day marathon. People come and go all day. I will try to assume Disney will add more as these spots fill up consistantly.

I agree the 16/30 power split should work well along with kWh pricing. Splitting power between 10 or 20 EV charging ports will be the future IMO.

Bad news. On a plugshare comment someone said three spots were iced by handicap on Sunday. I'm disappointed that there aren't ev parking only signs there....

Maaz said:
Bad news. On a plugshare comment someone said three spots were iced by handicap on Sunday. I'm disappointed that there aren't ev parking only signs there....

There are signs. They are built into the chargpoint stations.
http://www.plugshare.com/api/_uploads/locations/image_11388.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those of us who stay for days at their hotels. it would be nice to have resort hotel guests get Valet Charging during the overnight hours. Valet park at 20%... get your car back at 80% ready etc. They could get more use in the overnight hours. How about Solar on top of the parking structure too!

Without the correct and appropriate verbiage, that signage is worthless and unenforceable.

Blue3bee said:
Maaz said:
There are signs. They are built into the chargpoint stations.
http://www.plugshare.com/api/_uploads/locations/image_11388.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Bateman said:
A place like Disney doesn't really even need L2 charging equipment. Most people will likely be there all day, where L1 (120 outlet) access would likely suffice.

Really.

So, I drove my Rav4 EV there from San Diego a few weeks ago, which is about 90 miles from my house. I needed a full charge to return home.

Please indicate what day I would be able to return waiting for 120 / 12 amp (1.44kW) charging at 70% efficiency. My car goes 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) with the heater off at 65mph down the freeway back to San Diego.

In other words:

1.44kWh * 70% = 1kWh per hour of charging or 3.4 miles added per hour, or 90 miles divided by 3.4 miles = 26.5 hours to replenish 90 miles. I only stayed about 5 hours in the morning.

The bottom line; ONE SIZE DOESNT FIT ALL, unless every site were 80 amp * 250 volt J1772. That's not super efficient, so an assortment of maybe 20% 80 amps, 60% 30 amps and 20% 12 amps @ 120 volts is closer to ideal, with a sliding charge scale reflecting the faster to slower units.

True, one size doesn't fit all. I wasn't talking about corner case of the RAV4 coming 90 miles, I was thinking about those in the L.A. Metro area who likely drove less than 50 miles to get there, and are likely to spend 8+ hours at the park.

Those coming from outside L.A., probably have an ICE to get them there.

So, yes you would be the exception, and having a few L2 chargers for these cases is good. My point is that I'd like to see more malls, movie theaters, amusement parks, airports, and outdoor areas have easy access to a lot of 120 outlets to let people top-off their battery instead of one or two (often occupied or broken) L2 spots. 120 outlets are cheap and easy to install. In this scenario, I don't need special EV spaces, just outlets near a lot of the current spaces, EV or ICE.

And no doubt that I want to see L2 at stores, restaurants, and other shorter term destinations.

Here are some photos of the 20 Chargepoint stations at the Micky & Friends parking structure

Disney_EV_Charging1.jpg

Disney_EV_Charging2.jpg

Disney_EV_Charging3.jpg

Disney_EV_Charging4.jpg

Is it just me, or did someone actually put the chargers in the correct location? Right between the parking spots. And they're double-headed as well.

Back