100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFturtleMode1.jpg

LEAFturtleMode4.jpg

LEAFturtleMode3.jpg

LEAFturtleMode2.jpg

Yo Tony,

According to your GPS, you were only about a half-mile from my house. So. next time, if you can make it to the intersection of Cijon/Paseo Montril, you can coast on down to my house and plug in.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vegastar said:
The best I achieved so far is 152km. Next spring I will try to beat that and achieve at least 162 km.

You know you can go into the setup and change to English measure when you hit 100 miles !!! Take a picture, then change back.

Yeah, 100 miles is nicer. ;) For us in the metric system there is the 100km mark and 200km mark, the first is very easy and the second very hard!

Tony, I'm glad I saw your post so I would think to actually document my experience with driving more than 100 miles on a single charge. Had I not seen your post on Thursday (when I SAW your post), I would have charged Thursday night and was only currently at 90 something miles since my 100% charge.

To add to my post from yesterday, I have never been into turtle mode and have driven 100+ miles on a single 100% charge multiple occasions (I never thought to document them until now). So this morning, I wanted to drive and get to turtle mode (or as close as possible), to see what range I'm able to get on a 100% charge in these colder temps. (Such an exciting Saturday morning for a 26 year old engineer :lol:)

Yesterday, I reset the TripA as soon as the Low Battery Warning came on and documented the mileages.
ODO: 2016
TripB: 94.7
TripA: (RESET to 0 at this point)

So this morning I started out around 9am (9:10 to be exact according to my LEAF). My ODO was reading 2025 miles TripB (the one I reset after every charge) was reading 103.2 miles. The NAV average economy was 5.2 miles/kWh.
ODO: 2025
TripB: 103.2
TripA: 8.5
Miles/kWh: 5.2 (RESET TO 0 at this point)

After driving around my neighborhood and some back-roads near my work, I was reminded that the relatively flat roads and low speeds were not going to make this a fast endeavor. My NAV was now reading 7.0 miles/kWh after about 7 minutes. I decided to change my route to a more hilly set of back-roads, and that helped to drop my miles/kWh (the opposite of how I normally want to drive!)

After about another 10 minutes of driving the loop of streets I picked out, I finally got the Very Low Battery Warning. I wrote down the mileages, reset TripA and continued on. This was now my first time in Very Low Battery Warning... it shouldn't be too much longer for turtle (is what I was thinking). It was 15.3 miles from my Low Battery Warning to Very Low Battery Warning.
ODO: 2032
TripB: 110.0
TripA: 15.3 (RESET TO to 0 at this point)

At this point I changed up my route. There were a few hills between where I was and my neighborhood, so I headed back towards home. I made a loop through my neighborhood several times, so I'm sure some neighbors thought I was crazy or lost (TBH in the back of my head I was hoping that no one noticed me, otherwise it probably looked suspiciously like someone was stalking the houses :oops: ) At this point, I was getting cold, and I didn't want to use the heater, so I made a few more rounds and headed home. By the time I got home, I noticed that the far right Power Bubble lost it's outer-ring. I've read that this is a good indication that turtle mode is coming up. With that observation, I felt I didn't need to actually get into turtle mode for my morning to be a (tech-nerdy) success.

After parking in my drive-way, I snapped a few more pics of my figures.
ODO: 2038
TripB: 116.5
TripA: 6.5
Miles/kWh: 6.2

So after all was said and done, I was able to drive 116.5 miles without getting into turtle mode on a 100% charge. A few peculiar things I noticed were some slight differences in my observed mileages compared to Tony's range chart. I understand there are some assumptions and estimations with the chart, so I'll chalk it up to that. (Although it seems like the figures for each different miles/kWh figure are not consistent...)

The first was that my Low Battery Warning came on at TripB: 94.7. I was able to drive another 15 miles before the Very Low Battery Warning came on. According to the chart, at the low battery warning, being able to drive 15 miles falls between 5.9 and 6.3 miles/kWh. However, my overall economy on this charge was only 5.3 miles/kWh. Since I reset my NAV economy figures, I got that value from the following math:
Code:
[(5.2 miles/kWh*(103.2 miles driven)) + (6.2 miles/kWh*(13.3 miles driven))]/ (116.5 total miles driven) = 5.3 miles/kWh
I've always assumed that the car's Dash and NAV economy figures were pretty accurate. Is this a bad assumption?

Second was if I look at the top level (ignoring WHEN LBW comes on) for total mileage on the chart, (let's assume I could have driven up to 117 miles to turtle mode) this matches closer to the chart's estimate of max between 111 and 121 miles. (extrapolating between 5.2 and 5.9 miles/kWh figures). Thoughts?

I suppose my last thoughts are off-topic, and I should post them in the range thread.

My stomach is growling, and it's too early for me to be doing math... so I'll leave my post here and avoid trying to make anymore statements about mileage in the LEAF. :lol:

This last Summer I drove on one charge to Everett, WA from Maple Valley, WA round trip 93.47 miles 80% freeway driving without using A/C. I did not get to Turtle mode (of which I never have yet got to that point) but I had flashing dashes stating no mileage range left when I pulled into my charging station at home.

TNleaf said:
Code:
[(5.2 miles/kWh*(103.2 miles driven)) + (6.2 miles/kWh*(13.3 miles driven))]/ (116.5 total miles driven) = 5.3 miles/kWh
I've always assumed that the car's Dash and NAV economy figures were pretty accurate. Is this a bad assumption?
We don't know how accurate the dash figures are. But, with a 5.3 m/kwh and 116 miles driven, we get 21.9 kWh or usable battery charge. We have had examples between 21 and 22 kwh. So, I think your experience falls within our expectations.

we have been using 21 kWh to be conservative.

ps : The actual usable battery depends a bit on the discharge rate. Since you were driving slow, I do expect you to get a little bit more usable battery capacity.

Just an update, took 6.45 hours to charge to 100% and the Blink reported 23.20 total kWh used.

116.5miles/23.2 = 5.02 miles/kWh Wall to wheels for this charge.

TNleaf said:
Just an update, took 6.45 hours to charge to 100% and the Blink reported 23.20 total kWh used.

Looks like you probably put back about 20.3 to 20.5 kw back

I'm just flying back from the awesome Bay Area LEAF meeting, but just wanted to comment on your details. One more ingredient is critical to know battery capacity; degradation (assumed zero) and temperature is huge!! What was the temp of the battery and the ambient air?

TonyWilliams said:
I'm just flying back from the awesome Bay Area LEAF meeting, but just wanted to comment on your details. One more ingredient is critical to know battery capacity; degradation (assumed zero) and temperature is huge!! What was the temp of the battery and the ambient air?

Temperatures have been 38ish at night up to 65 during the day. I'd say 90% of the ambient temperature was in the low 50s. Battery temp was sitting at 4 and 5 bars.

TNleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:

Temperatures have been 38ish at night up to 65 during the day. I'd say 90% of the ambient temperature was in the low 50s. Battery temp was sitting at 4 and 5 bars.

Please also post what carwings reported As “electricity consumption” for the day(s) this drive took place, if you’ve had the NTB11-041 update. If post-update carwings "electricity consumption” is proven accurate, it will be very useful in collecting battery information from every LEAF.

Since you drove to (near) turtle, your CW report Should be a much more accurate indication of available battery capacity at temperature, than those I posted previously, extrapolating from higher remaining charge levels.

My trip ..on 8/30 was 87.6 miles by odometer...carwings reports 16.8 kWh consumed and 5.1 m/kWh. I believe my total battery capacity after charging to 100%, was about 20.4 kWh.

When I made the (almost) identical drive on 11/8, 88 miles (at about 40 degrees F lower temperature)...CW reported 17.6 kWh consumed and 4.9 m/kWh. I believe my total battery capacity when I left home with a 100% charge was probably close to 19.4 kWh.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6701&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NTB11-041 update thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone tried a 100% charge to Turtle discharge drive since having the update?

What total electricity consumption (kWh) did carwings report-and do you believe it to accurately reflect total battery capacity?

If you have a meter at the wall, what L2 charging efficiency percentage did it show for your recharge, using the Carwings energy consumption report?

Thank you for setting up this thread. I'd like to join your club, if you will have me.

Total trip length: 107.1 miles
Freeway miles: 73.3
Avg trip economy: 5.1 miles/kWh
LBW to turtle: 18.3 miles
VLBW to turtle: 5.6 miles
Max speed: 55 mph
Average speed: 28.4 mph
Max temperature: 55 F
Min temperature: 45 F
Elevation difference: neglible
Auxiliaries: none (except headlights)

End of trip (1):

End of trip (2):

End of trip (3):

LBW:

Start of trip (1):

(Trip meter A was reset after 1.5 miles)

Start of trip (2):

(Trip meter A was reset after 1.5 miles)

Trip itinerary:

Elevation profile:
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-12-08%252520at%2525207.58.53%252520PM.jpg

surfingslovak said:
Thank you for setting up this thread. I'd like to join your club, if you will have me.

Excuse me a moment; I'm getting a little misty eyed (sniffle, sniffle). This is beautiful, absolute textbook.

Please confirm 6 miles in VLB ? ( 1 demerit) Also, confirm that you reset the average trip economy from the displayed 4.9 at the beginning of the trip? And the elevation was sea level?

You are hereby inducted into the 100 mile club, WITH DISTINCTION. I will share with you the secret handshake at our next meeting. Drive long and prosper.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:

Excuse me a moment; I'm getting a little misty eyed (sniffle, sniffle). This is beautiful, absolute textbook.

Please confirm 6 miles in VLB ? ( 1 demerit) Also, confirm that you reset the average trip economy from the displayed 4.9 at the beginning of the trip?

You are hereby inducted into the 100 mile club, WITH DISTINCTION. I will share with you the secret handshake at our next meeting. Drive long and prosper.
Heh, proud to be a newly minted member of the 100 mile club! I didn't think that it would turn out this way, but the numbers speak a clear language: 107.1 / 5.1 = 21 kWh consumed on this trip. I was waiting for the VLBW, but I don't recall seeing it. Or perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention. For what it's worth, the range estimate disappeared at 99.2 miles and the shut eyes (---) showed up at 101.5 miles. Does that translate to 5.6 miles from VLBW to turtle? Sorry that I don't have more accurate data on this.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TNleaf said:

Looks like you probably put back about 20.3 to 20.5 kw back

I get 19.7kWh into the battery at 85% of 23.20 total from Blink.

surfingslovak said:
I was waiting for the VLBW, but I don't recall seeing it. Or perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention. For what it's worth, the range estimate disappeared at 99.2 miles and the shut eyes (---) showed up at 101.5 miles. Does that translate to 5.6 miles from VLBW to turtle? Sorry that I don't have more accurate data on this.

No, sorry, we don't care what the GOM/DTE is doing, and there's no direct relationship with the Battery Warnings.

TonyWilliams said:
No, sorry, we don't care what the GOM/DTE is doing, and there's no direct relationship with the Battery Warnings.
Bummer. I was expecting to see a popup, much like with LBW, but that never showed up. At least I was able to get you a detailed elevation profile. I was driving along the SF Bay. It was close to sea level, with the exception of couple of small hills in San Francisco. The 4.9 mph were from earlier and I did reset the energy economy gauge at the beginning of the trip. The only thing I forgot was the trip meter itself. Luckily, I reset the driving distance gauge before heading out. I also noted the miles traveled when I reset the trip meter itself (1.5 miles), and the trip length itself should be accurate. Waiting for Carwings to confim.

Back