100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does this have to be one continuous trip? I could easily do this. I drive mostly in town at speeds of 25mph, but then charge the car every few days once I'm down to 4 or 5 bars and then charge to 80%. If I just fill it up to 100% and then drive it for a week until I hit low battery warning, I'll easily reach 100 miles.

where is it unrealistic is taking it from long beach to san diego on the freeway. haha.

palmermd said:
does this have to be one continuous trip? I could easily do this. I drive mostly in town at speeds of 25mph, but then charge the car every few days once I'm down to 4 or 5 bars and then charge to 80%. If I just fill it up to 100% and then drive it for a week until I hit low battery warning, I'll easily reach 100 miles.

where is it unrealistic is taking it from long beach to san diego on the freeway. haha.

neither of my entries is "one trip" its only distance "between charges" is how i read it. the 98 mile trip was probably 4-5 errands plus going out for breakfast and dinner.

the 104 mile trip was over Friday and Saturday. just didnt plug in Friday is all although about 85-90 miles were done on Saturday

Well, based on my experience driving the Leaf for the last 8 months I believe 100 miles should be easily reproducible in city environments. That is, driving 30, 35, 40 miles per hour most of the time.

The trouble with that statement is that anyone who is planning to drive a longer distance that might get close 100 miles would normally plan that route on the highway. The highway and climate control are the two things that kill the range. So when people ask me how far I can go in my Leaf, I always give them two numbers, "City driving, about a hundred miles. Highway driving, about 70 miles. Add heater or air conditioner, maybe less." Also, depending on my mood I'll sometimes answer that question with, "I don't know.. I've never run out of power before."

Herm said:
If you stay off the hwy, can you routinely reach 100 miles?

Did everyone just gasp?, in many cities you dont have to use the hwy if you dont want to.

I ran across a youtube video months back where some guys tested a LEAF on an empty loop of road and ran it from 100% to dead flat. IIRC, the parameters were something like continuous speed of 33 mph, and they ended up with over 130 miles. The fellow concluded that it was the most boring thing he'd ever done with a car. Clearly did not have the EV spirit. :mrgreen:

But anyway, sure 100 miles is certainly doable at lower speeds. Air resistance increases as the cube of wind speed. A nice long country road at 40 or 45 mph shouldn't be a problem to get 100 miles.

TonyWilliams said:
Herm said:
If you stay off the hwy, can you routinely reach 100 miles?

I didn't qualify how the 100 miles was done... just that it's possible. I predict that "routine" and "100 miles" will not be used much, regardless of what road, path or highway might be driven on.

So far, three people, for a total of 4 trips.
As the members of the club (and your chart) have clearly demonstrated, for 100 miles to be "routine" (i.e. jump in the car and go) you'd need something with the range of the Coda or greater:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/09/coda-test-drive-shows-strong-heart-in-plain-wrap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:

So, you're saying you just have to recharge, and you "could easily do this". I had no idea that was possible. Thanks.

Here's the definition of unrealistic: "not capable of occurring or being accomplished or dealt with". Going to Long Beach did, in fact, occur. Having you read the basic concept of this thread; "unrealistic". :cry:

Nubo said:
But anyway, sure 100 miles is certainly doable at lower speeds. Air resistance increases as the cube of wind speed. A nice long country road at 40 or 45 mph shouldn't be a problem to get 100 miles.

Thanks. PLEASE GUYS, no more "ya, sure, it's easy... but, uh, no, I've never done that "easy" thing". Or, as I've heard now several times on this and another thread, "yes, it's easy if you recharge". Ya, no kidding.

Please just post if you have done it. I'll add the Edmonds.com 132 mile jaunt.

To your thought about 100 miles being no problem at 40-45mph, that's also not quite right. Yes, it's possible, and I've done it. ONCE. There's no reserve, and that means I was at turtle mode, just as the range chart would forecast for the speed, elevation, and temperature I was at.

It doesn't matter if you're doing that 45mph on a country highway, or a freeway, or any other level hard surface. Honestly, the car doesn't know.

TonyWilliams said:
palmermd said:

So, you're saying you just have to recharge, and you "could easily do this". I had no idea that was possible. Thanks.

Here's the definition of unrealistic: "not capable of occurring or being accomplished or dealt with". Going to Long Beach did, in fact, occur. Having you read the basic concept of this thread; "unrealistic". :cry:

please re-read the statement with a less skeptical eye.

TonyWilliams said:
Please just post if you have done it. I'll add the Edmonds.com 132 mile jaunt.

To your thought about 100 miles being no problem at 40-45mph, that's also not quite right. Yes, it's possible, and I've done it. ONCE. There's no reserve, and that means I was at turtle mode, just as the range chart would forecast for the speed, elevation, and temperature I was at.

It doesn't matter if you're doing that 45mph on a country highway, or a freeway, or any other level hard surface. Honestly, the car doesn't know.

Point taken. As far as the 45 on a country lane, that was just reflecting my prejudice that one shouldn't be cruising at 45 mph on an interstate and I was thinking more along the lines of doing 40 in a 45. I'll sit back and wait for more real-world doers ;)

Almost everytime I charge to 100% I easily get 100+ miles... so I've never really thought to keep track of how many times I've done it. Last night I would have normally charged (was at 90something miles) before work today, but after seeing this thread, I figured I would wait until tonight so I could snap a picture of my total mileage for this last charge.

Click for larger image.

I barely averaged 5 miles/kWh this time due to frequent use of the defroster and heater these past few weeks. I should have plenty battery left to get home from work today :lol:

My best on a single charge was 120 miles (I think I averaged 6.5 miles/kWh that charge) before hitting the LBW and deciding to charge that night. I'll try to remember to snap a photo for that... although it may be spring before I see that kind of range again.

Note: I reset the "B" trip meter and NAV economy after every charge. I leave the dash average economy and MPH as a lifetime average since I've gotten the car. Most of my driving is done on 30-45mph roads, hence the 23.1 mph average in the photo. The LEAF has fit my driving needs perfectly so far. :mrgreen:

AmpUpCO said:
I'd love to be the first member of this club in Colorado! My 2012 Leaf is due in next month... :D

Hope you do make it. I can tell you one way to make it.. Drive up to summit county, charge up there someplace over night, then drive back down ;-)
With that trip, a chevy Volt has gone over 75m on a single charge (way beyond the 50m discussed limit), so a Leaf should do much better than 100 probably 120 or even 140 (though you run out of mountain after about 60m). Of course the trick is getting up there and recharging at the top of mountains.

DrInnovation said:
With that trip, a chevy Volt has gone over 75m on a single charge (way beyond the 50m discussed limit).

Wayne Gerdes got 73 miles of range several times when he tested the Volt, on flat ground.

TNleaf said:
Almost everytime I charge to 100% I easily get 100+ miles... so I've never really thought to keep track of how many times I've done it. .....
My best on a single charge was 120 miles (I think I averaged 6.5 miles/kWh that charge) before hitting the LBW and deciding to charge that night.

What would be a good guess as to how many times you physically drove over 100 miles on a single charge? You're the first person to raise his hand who has done it more than twice.

Tony

Count me in:
  • 110 miles (Northridge to Saticoy and back via Van Nuys)
  • 31.6 MPH average speed (max was about 45 MPH)
  • About 5 miles into Very Low Battery at the end
  • Over 4000' total elevation gain and 4000' of loss (loop trip).
  • Average temperature was about 62° F

S6302817.resized.JPG

110 total miles

S6302816.resized.JPG

Maxed out the tree count!

Most%252520of%252520110%252520mile%252520trip.jpg

Elevation profile for all but first 13 miles of the trip - I forgot to start my GPS when I left the house, only when I left the gym in Simi that I was playing at. Doohh! :roll:

Unfortunately the spouse needs the car tonight, so I won't be able to tell how much charge it took, as she'll be driving it for another 20 or so miles.

ahagge said:
Count me in:
  • 110 miles (Northridge to Saticoy and back via Van Nuys)
  • 31.6 MPH average speed (max was about 45 MPH)
  • About 5 miles into Very Low Battery at the end
  • Over 4000' total elevation gain and 4000' of loss (loop trip).
  • Average temperature was about 62° F

S6302817.resized.JPG

110 total miles
Really close to turtle mode there! Notice that you're missing the top 3 power bubbles? Nice work!

Were you in turtle mode in the first picture, ahagge? I noticed that the 3 right power bars don't have two circles. When I tested turtle mode all the circles were lit righ until the turtle arrived.

The best I achieved so far is 152km. Next spring I will try to beat that and achieve at least 162 km.

vegastar said:
Were you in turtle mode in the first picture, ahagge? I noticed that the 3 right power bars don't have two circles. When I tested turtle mode all the circles were lit righ until the turtle arrived.
Nope, never hit turtle mode. Interesting point about the circles though...I hadn't noticed. Maybe I was only a minute or two away (whew!). I've actually never hit turtle mode...I'm too chicken (I live on a hill, so I always need to make sure I have enough left for a 300' climb at the end).

when those double circles start disappearing you are in "power reduced" mode aka Turtle mode. just like the circle on the other side represent how much regen you can do, the power circles (or lack thereof) indicates how much power you have. you can make decent speeds in the 40 mph range until you get to about 4 circles left. i dont know what happens after that (chickened out and drove home at 30 mph to make sure i would get there!)

Back