1 year service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep getting my reminders to get my service done for a specific mileage amount long before I actually get to that number of miles. I think I recently got one for the 22,500 point, but I have only gone about 18,000 miles. I hope delaying until I actually reach that point doesn't cause issues with the battery tests. The last test said I was pretty easy on the batteries.

Neither the Warranty Information Booklet nor the Service and Maintenance Guide say anything at all about a six month battery check, no matter which service schedule you are following for your car. The Service Guide calls for an annual check, regardless of mileage. The Warranty Booklet says the same thing, and that the two at 12 months and 24 months are free.

It happens that I took my car in for some service today and asked what my records showed, since I had taken the car for the annual service last spring but never got a battery report. The interesting response I got back was, "Yes, it shows that you got your 9 month to 15 month check." My inference from that is that they give you a three month leeway in either direction. Anything outside that range you would have to pay for, and could cause warranty problems.

NOTE: That's my inference. Nissan didn't tell me that.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Neither the Warranty Information Booklet nor the Service and Maintenance Guide say anything at all about a six month battery check, no matter which service schedule you are following for your car. The Service Guide calls for an annual check, regardless of mileage. The Warranty Booklet says the same thing, and that the two at 12 months and 24 months are free.

It happens that I took my car in for some service today and asked what my records showed, since I had taken the car for the annual service last spring but never got a battery report. The interesting response I got back was, "Yes, it shows that you got your 9 month to 15 month check." My inference from that is that they give you a three month leeway in either direction. Anything outside that range you would have to pay for, and could cause warranty problems.

NOTE: That's my inference. Nissan didn't tell me that.

Ray

You're right about the six month checks, Ray. I just got the tires rotated and I let them do the brake fluid replacement that isn't called for until 24 months at light duty. (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that, but I was mis-reading the service booklet. No big deal to get the fluid replaced 4 months early, but as obsessed as I am with the car and this forum, I'm still embarrassed :oops: )

mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:
I let them do the brake fluid replacement that isn't called for until 24 months at light duty.

Was this a Connell, Phil? What did they charge for it? I've got mine due next month.

Yes, Mike. They had it list priced at $90. I had a 10% off coupon, but I got a better discount by using $25 that I had from Connel's One-to-One rewards program.

I just LOVE talking to the clueless service folks at the dealer. I'm going for my 12 month battery check tomorrow at Stevens Creek Nissan in San Jose. When I called to make the appointment, I said I wanted the EV battery check and the woman asked what model car I had...

I called back today to ask how long the battery check would take (and I told her "I'm bringing my Leaf in for a battery check"). This time the woman asked if I was having the battery cheked or replaced. I'm pretty sure that the dealers are not replacing batteries...but hey, maybe they are at this dealer (attn all you Phoenix leafs who want a new battery!)

so my questions to you wise folks are how long does the battery check take? Does it matter how full the battery is when I bring it in? Meaning, should I bother to charge overnight if they are going to just drain it for the test. The dealer is just a few miles from home, so range for getting to and from is not an issue.

I'm expecting them to TRY to charge me for the test since there is a fee shown on their serivce website for this item. They won't be successful in this endeavor.

thanks,
Nancy

Well, Nancy, my experience at Puyallup Nissan was quite good and painless. I asked for the yearly battery check, the software update, and said the tires had been rotated and I had taken care of the cabin filter change.

No pressure for added services, I could watch the tech from behind glass in the waiting area, he seemed to be looking things over quite well, and I was out of there in an hour without charge.

I believe women are far more knowledgable about automobile servicing than they once were, but I also believe some dealers/shops see females as an easy mark. Stick by your guns, Nancy.

Almost forgot - to the best of my knowledge, battery state of charge doesn't matter for the battery check.

Bill

MsHanson said:
I just LOVE talking to the clueless service folks at the dealer. I'm going for my 12 month battery check tomorrow at Stevens Creek Nissan in San Jose. When I called to make the appointment, I said I wanted the EV battery check and the woman asked what model car I had...
I hate to bad mouth a dealer, but I would definitely recommend either Nissan Sunnyvale or Premier Nissan on Capitol Expressway in San Jose over Stevens Creek Nissan. There have been a number of bad reports here from Stevens Creek, and I wasn't at all happy with my experience there. I haven't been to Sunnyvale, but have seen only good things about them on this board. My most recent experience was at Premier, and I was quite impressed. Doc Whitmore in service there really cares about LEAFs.

Ray

planet4ever said:
MsHanson said:
I hate to bad mouth a dealer, but I would definitely recommend either Nissan Sunnyvale or Premier Nissan on Capitol Expressway in San Jose over Stevens Creek Nissan. There have been a number of bad reports here from Stevens Creek, and I wasn't at all happy with my experience there. I haven't been to Sunnyvale, but have seen only good things about them on this board. My most recent experience was at Premier, and I was quite impressed. Doc Whitmore in service there really cares about LEAFs.

Ray
I'll second the recommendation for Premier San Jose. Went in for the 15K service in October. No pressure to do anything beyond the battery check and the pending software updates (all free). The whole thing took two hours.

I forgot to mention that my dealer did a battery check on the 12V battery. It wasn't called out on my service report, but I got a look at the internal service paperwork and there was a small printout stapled to it with a graphic of a meter gauge and a digital reading of 12.5 Volts, as I recall.

This reminded me of the member whose defective 12V battery caused his brakes to fail, the "almost kill a kid" thread. Reassuring to me that the dealer is checking this. Perhaps Nissan is alerted to potential problems from a low 12V battery.

MsHanson said:
so my questions to you wise folks are how long does the battery check take?

When I made my appointment the other day, they told me that it would take one hour. But, when I got there Thursday, they also had 2 updates to do, plus I had them do the brake reprogramming to get rid of the "grabby brakes" issue. All total, it took more like 3+ hours, but I don't think the tech was giving my car his undivided attention. :(

Does it matter how full the battery is when I bring it in?

The only thing they asked is that I don't bring the car in with the battery fully charged, as they need to charge it to perform part of the test, supposedly. I arrived with ~40% charge. When I left, it didn't appear they had charged it much at all. 12,000 miles in 1 year, all 5 stars, for what its worth.

DoxyLover said:
I'll second the recommendation for Premier San Jose. Went in for the 15K service in October. No pressure to do anything beyond the battery check and the pending software updates (all free). The whole thing took two hours.

15K Service? The battery pack check is a yearly service no matter how few or how many miles. Brake fluid may need changed every two-three years depending on its moisture content which can easily be checked yourself with a DMM. Discount Tire will rotate the tires for free (every 5K-6K miles), but I always tip them.

+1

LEAFfan said:
15K Service? The battery pack check is a yearly service no matter how few or how many miles. Brake fluid may need changed every two-three years depending on its moisture content, which can easily be checked yourself with a DMM. Discount Tire will rotate the tires for free (every 5K-6K miles), but I always tip them.

LEAFfan said:
DoxyLover said:

15K Service? The battery pack check is a yearly service no matter how few or how many miles. Brake fluid may need changed every two-three years depending on its moisture content which can easily be checked yourself with a DMM. Discount Tire will rotate the tires for free (every 5K-6K miles), but I always tip them.
Picky, picky. It hit 15K at almost exactly 1 year so they were the same. :x :x

The dealer kept me waiting for over two hours just to tell me that the printer is broken (?) and that I should really let them have the LEAF for at least 24 hours to "give it a good charge" (the "advisor" seemed pretty oblivious to the fact that my 80% timer was still enabled.) He said he'd call me back but he never did, so that was the last time I went there (Town Center Nissan.)

I ended up going up to Regal Nissan and requested the technician known here for, among other things, installing the aftermarket camera on SV models. I got to meet him, got my super rare 5-star rating :), and was on my way in a clean car an hour later.

What a mess since it looks like Nissan is dropping the ball on some of these clowns who are supposedly "certified." That was an unacceptable customer experience.

You could have simply put the period after "ball..." :(

cracovian said:
What a mess since it looks like Nissan is dropping the ball on some of these clowns who are supposedly "certified." That was an unacceptable customer experience.

cracovian said:
Don't put all the blame on Nissan when it concerns problems at the dealer. It appears that manufacturers do not have a whole lot to say when it comes to dealer operations. A common response from manufacturers is: "Our dealers are independently owned blah, blah, blah.........."

Actually, manufacturers DO have one very powerful tool over dealers: Allocations! Lexus has used it successfully many times with their dealers...

ebill3 said:
cracovian said:
Don't put all the blame on Nissan when it concerns problems at the dealer. It appears that manufacturers do not have a whole lot to say when it comes to dealer operations.

Well, that may well be, but most do not seem to be very anxious to exercise that option.
TomT said:
Actually, manufacturers DO have one very powerful tool over dealers: Allocations! Lexus has used it successfully many times with their dealers...

ebill3 said:
cracovian said:
Don't put all the blame on Nissan when it concerns problems at the dealer. It appears that manufacturers do not have a whole lot to say when it comes to dealer operations.

Back