Charging Delayed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

A few times the Blink charger stops charging and displays 'Charging Delayed'. After a 10 minutes rest it begins charging again.

I asked Blink support, they indicated that the car signals the charger to stop charging. No reason to expect this judging by the charging timer.

It happened again today, I immediately started the car to see the battery temp. It showed 6 bars, typical for the 68 degrees outside.

Anyone else experience this or know why it occurs?

The explanation I've heard is that if power is interrupted, then this delay is imposed to keep all the cars on the block from starting charging at the instant that power is restored...and I can verify that's exactly what happened after the recent huge power outage in San Diego. Power came back on shortly after 1AM, I checked on the car about 1:15 and found the Blink showing "Charging delayed" and counting down to 1:22, when the car started charging.

I have a pretty clear understanding of the J1772 connection. All the car can do is signal to the EVSE that the AC pins should be energized or not. There's no way for the car to signal "wait 10 minutes".

davewill said:
The explanation I've heard is that if power is interrupted, then this delay is imposed to keep all the cars on the block from starting charging at the instant that power is restored...and I can verify that's exactly what happened after the recent huge power outage in San Diego.

I'm sure that's one reason for it, however today I was at home, no power outage here. Beautiful day, sunny high 60's low 70's.

Yeah it sounds as if Blink are pointing fingers at the car, but it looks like the charger is pausing for some reason. I'll have to send the screen shot to them and re-raise that ticket.

Well I have got a better idea of what's going on. Dave suggested a power interruption. Didn't happen.

But since the most recent firmware update the unit has rebooted every 3-4 days. It did so today in the middle of charging. I see the system up-time back tracks to about the time the delayed charging started.

It only interrupts charging for 10 minutes, so no biggie. I'm more aware of these events since I now get alerts from the smartphone app each time charging status changes.

JPWhite said:
...It only interrupts charging for 10 minutes, so no biggie. I'm more aware of these events since I now get alerts from the smartphone app each time charging status changes.
Unless you used the timer override button to start that charge, in which case the charge might not start back up at all. Not good.

in my case, the charger was installed today, used for this evening for two hours, went out for a drive.

Plugged back in, got the "charging delayed" that stayed on for several hours, noticed below this it said

"charge will resume at 9:26 PM". It was 11:30 P.M. at the time, and since I wanted to drive to work tomorrow morning, could not wait until what would indeed occur at 9:26 P.M. so I did what any sane man would do, i unplugged the Blink unit from the wall. Lo and behold, when I replugged it in the wall, I had to recalibrate. But now it works fine. When in doubt, reboot!

Moral of the story: it is highly unlikely that the electric company had a power demand surge that would last 24 hours until the next day. It is highly likely the unit computer is flawed. Rebooting it worked for now, it is now charging. But how many times will I have to do this? And each time, i will lose my KWH and scheduling settings.

leiko49 said:
i unplugged the Blink unit from the wall. Lo and behold, when I replugged it in the wall, I had to recalibrate.

One can safely ignore the re-calibration exercise. It will time out and still work just fine. The charge will begin as soon as you plug the car in, charging isn't dependent on calibration.

Thanks for posting this topic. I had noticed a few unexplained conditions after charging. Occasionally in the mornings I saw that the Blink's summary of charging showed that the charging had started/restarted at a later time than my normal 12:10am start. I at one time thought that maybe the Leaf was doing some kind of battery management activity.

More recently (during one of my insomiac nights) I caught the display in the "Charge Delayed" mode. I unplugged the blink and got it started again. If there was some actual power outage some of my digital clocks would have gone into flashin mode (they did not), unless the Blink is really sensative and some kind of power dip caused the Blink to go into this "after power outage mode" that someone described above then I too think there is some kind of glitch in the software where it hangs up (but then resets itself). Could this be related to a network connect activity??

Anyway, appreciate knowing that others have seen this and your thoughts/insights.

Yes, pls let us know if Blink provides any other explanation.

Back