TedStryker
Forum Supporter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Delivery Date: 01 May 2018
Leaf Number: 315218

2015 Leaf S NorCal

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:13 am

Hey everyone,

I'd like to sell my 2015 S. It seems that there is a great deal of variability in Leaf prices, so I'd like to get some feedback from the forum. I have it listed on Craigslist for $8,500 and haven't had much interest. I think this price is probably a little on the higher end of the spectrum, but also wondering what impact COVID may be having....

Anyhow, I'm in Sacramento, CA. Here are some details of the car:

2015 Nissan Leaf S

Just under 43,000 miles. No accidents.

11/12 battery life bars

12v battery replaced last year.

Tires replaced about 2 years/15,000 miles ago with good Michelin tires from Costco.

A few scratches and dings.

Equipped with the 6.6KW onboard converter and Chademo DC port.

I dunno if ad linking is allowed in the forum. If it is, I'll post a link to the CL ad with photos.

Many thanks for the help.

trilobite
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2020

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 am

I'm new to the forum, but am in your general area and in the market for a used leaf. I've been looking at CL for the last week and it doesn't look like much is moving right now due to the shelter in place.

As a buyer, one thing I see is that in 2016 Nissan offered an extended warranty on their batteries. So just reading that in wikipedia without knowing anything else would have me looking at 2016+ models, some of which are not that different in price.

Saw your ad and your car looks good.

TedStryker
Forum Supporter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Delivery Date: 01 May 2018
Leaf Number: 315218

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Appreciate the feedback. Not much activity on the listing. I'm not sure if it's the price or the COVID.

There aren't many FSBO Leaf listings in the area, and all except one are 2013 and earlier. Hard to judge what "fair" value is with little market activity, I suppose. There are a handful of dealer listings on CL, but all are listed north of $9500. I wonder what they're really getting for them? I've had offers from dealers ranging from $6300-7800. I'd take the $7,800 except they're only willing to do it on a trade-in deal and I don't need to buy another car.

powersurge
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Your car is still a good one. Why do you want to sell now?

You should keep using it until the car's battery is no longer usable and THEN sell it for $4000. Meanwhile, you will get the use of the car for a good number of years (3-5 years) with only small amount of depreciation from the price you are looking to get NOW...

Keeping the car for 3-5 years more will cost you less than $1000 per year for the use of the car in depreciation.

alozzy
Posts: 1498
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm

I think your price is fine, just a slow market right now. You might want to consider listing it on autotrader.com, or a similar site, so you can reach a larger audience. Wouldn't hurt to use social media too

TedStryker
Forum Supporter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Delivery Date: 01 May 2018
Leaf Number: 315218

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

powersurge wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm
Your car is still a good one. Why do you want to sell now?

You should keep using it until the car's battery is no longer usable and THEN sell it for $4000. Meanwhile, you will get the use of the car for a good number of years (3-5 years) with only small amount of depreciation from the price you are looking to get NOW...

Keeping the car for 3-5 years more will cost you less than $1000 per year for the use of the car in depreciation.
The Leaf is no longer practical for my work commute, so I need another car anyway. I like driving it, but I'm not sure it makes sense to keep it for the little bit of around-town driving I do.

If one could drive out the battery in 3-5 years, your depreciation scenario is compelling, assuming the residual value holds.

TedStryker
Forum Supporter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Delivery Date: 01 May 2018
Leaf Number: 315218

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:14 pm

alozzy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm
I think your price is fine, just a slow market right now. You might want to consider listing it on autotrader.com, or a similar site, so you can reach a larger audience. Wouldn't hurt to use social media too
Appreciate the advice. I looked into Autotrader and wasn't convinced it was worth the money. But now that I've dealt with my fair share of CL weirdo's, it's seeming more attractive. (Not talking about trilobite; he seems like a good dude.)

GRA
Posts: 11957
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 pm

TedStryker wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:14 pm
alozzy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm
I think your price is fine, just a slow market right now. You might want to consider listing it on autotrader.com, or a similar site, so you can reach a larger audience. Wouldn't hurt to use social media too
Appreciate the advice. I looked into Autotrader and wasn't convinced it was worth the money. But now that I've dealt with my fair share of CL weirdo's, it's seeming more attractive. (Not talking about trilobite; he seems like a good dude.)
My financial advice for you: municipal bonds, Ted.😆

trilobite
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2020

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 am

While I understand that predictions are inherently dangerous, there can be a lot of knowledge on forums or at the very least data points from a lot of cars. What would be the best guess for expected degradation on a 2015 that has made it to 40K miles with 80% SOH? Given that Sacramento is a fairly hot place, this battery seems to be holding up fairly well?

Being new to EVs and Leafs in particular, I'm still trying to get my head around how to do financial projections for a vehicle with such an expensive consumable. I'm sure many of you went through the same thing making spreadsheets and whatnot, wondering "how much" leaf to buy. There are plenty of deals here in the San Jose area on 2017 lease returns. Out the door I would be looking at $12-13K for low mileage car (<36K) with some warranty remaining, but on the negative side a 2017 battery which I understand to be not as durable as the 2015/2016s. I've looked at a lot of ads and some 2017s have scary battery degradation at very low mileage.

Maybe expected commute distance is the key factor here that determines when a car is no longer usable to an owner. In my case, the daily commute just got shorter at about 20 miles per day with free charging now available at work. So seems doable as long as I'm fortunate enough to keep my current gig.

coleafrado
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: 2015 Leaf S NorCal

Sun May 03, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm seeing 2017s with the 30kWh pack listed for under $8500 on Cargurus; your price is probably just too high. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c26133

Might be worth paying to put an ad up on CG rather than CL.

Return to “Private For Sale, Want To Buy”