Nissan EVSE 2012 Upgrade For Sale (120V & 240V) $775 OBO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanwaterman

I had the EVSE Upgrade done in November (from EVSE Upgrade in California) for my 2012 LEAF. The unit has been used for 3 months, as the LEAF sat in service for quite some time, and has been purchased back from NIssan. I have now gotten a 2013 LEAF and they allowed me to keep the 2012 EVSE unit and the 2013 EVSE unit. I am going to do a new upgrade for the 2013, so selling the 2012 EVSE to pay for expenses.

The unit is in 9.5/10 condition, and equipped with the twist 220W plug (NEMA L6-20R), standard for the upgrade. This also has the latest update (I paid extra at the time to do so), so it is ready to go for any 2011 and 2012 LEAF. It does work on my 2013 too, just only at 4.5KWh charge, instead of the full 6.6KWh (or 6.0KWh real world) charge the new LEAF can do.

$750 or best offer. Will include the case also. You can PM me for more details.

deanwaterman said:
I had the EVSE Upgrade done in November (from EVSE Upgrade in California) for my 2012 LEAF. The unit has been used for 3 months, as the LEAF sat in service for quite some time, and has been purchased back from NIssan. I have now gotten a 2013 LEAF and they allowed me to keep the 2012 EVSE unit and the 2013 EVSE unit. I am going to do a new upgrade for the 2013, so selling the 2012 EVSE to pay for expenses.

The unit is in 9.5/10 condition, and equipped with the twist 220W plug (NEMA L6-20R), standard for the upgrade. This also has the latest update (I paid extra at the time to do so), so it is ready to go for any 2011 and 2012 LEAF. It does work on my 2013 too, just only at 4.5KWh charge, instead of the full 6.6KWh charge the new LEAF can do.

$750 or best offer. Will include the case also. You can PM me for more details.

Just an FYI, The 2013 LEAF DOES NOT charge at 6.6kw it charges at 6kw max. Based on Nissan's "playing" with the numbers for marketing reasons they attempt to say the 2013 has a 6.6kw CHARGER but it not, it is 6kw. They posted the spec correctly for the 2011-2012 but incorrectly on the 2013 for "marketing" or competitive reasons. In fact If I were Nissan I would change that claim since they could actually be liable for false advertising, at least based on the US spec car.

Are you sure they allowed you to keep 2012 EVSE? My 2012 was bought back by Nissan and I took out the EVSE, but they called me and asked for it back.

LeafLeafLeaf said:
Are you sure they allowed you to keep 2012 EVSE? My 2012 was bought back by Nissan and I took out the EVSE, but they called me and asked for it back.

well that really sucks. when I first read that I was ecstatic but knew it sounded a bit fishy. I plan to get another EV and it will most likely (at this point since no one is really standing out here) will be a Nissan or infiniti so my EVSE upgrade will work since I do not plan to get one of those "hang on the wall" things unless they drop to under $450 which might still happen.

what I would like to know is if I went into another LEAF lease if I could just give the EVSE from the 2014 back with my 2011? guess I will find out soon enough

LeafLeafLeaf said:

Yes, I am positive. I have a great relationship with the Nissan Dealership near my house. I asked them specifically if they wanted it back, and they asked if I would like to keep it since I had the upgrade done to it. I said yes, and kept it. However, I see the 2013 upgrade would suit me better at my office.

(I should clarify that Nissan didn't buy mine back in the traditional sense, they gave me trade allowance to get a 2013, and the dealership kicked in the rest of the negative equity to help me. When I took the 2012 LEAF in, that is when the discussion took place regarding the EVSE.)

I am a minister, and if you PM me, I am happy to give my personal details in order to give you peace of mind.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeafLeafLeaf said:

well that really sucks. when I first read that I was ecstatic but knew it sounded a bit fishy. I plan to get another EV and it will most likely (at this point since no one is really standing out here) will be a Nissan or infiniti so my EVSE upgrade will work since I do not plan to get one of those "hang on the wall" things unless they drop to under $450 which might still happen.

what I would like to know is if I went into another LEAF lease if I could just give the EVSE from the 2014 back with my 2011? guess I will find out soon enough

I think you will do as I have done, that is realize the EVSE from the 2013, or 2014, is a better unit, with more flexibility, than the 2011 EVSE. I spoke to the guys from EVSE Upgrade and they said the 2013 EVSE has unique features that allow you to adjust the AMPS, and other things (I am not remembering at the time).

deanwaterman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeafLeafLeaf said:

well that really sucks. when I first read thRt I was ecstatic but knew it sounded a bit fishy. I plan to get another EV and it will most likely (at this point since no one is really standing out here) will be a Nissan or infiniti so my EVSE upgrade will work since I do not plan to get one of those "hang on the wall" things unless they drop to under $450 which might still happen.

what I would like to know is if I went into ranother LEAF lease if I could just give the EVSE from the 2014 back with my 2011? guess I will find out soon enough

I think you will do as I have done, that is realize the EVSE from the 2013, or 2014, is a better unit, with more flexibility, than the 2011 EVSE. I spoke to the guys from EVSE Upgrade and they said the 2013 EVSE has unique features that allow you to adjust the AMPS, and other things (I am not remembering at the time).
Ya I Dont Know About That. I Mostly Dont Want To Pay To Upgrade Another Cord And 240 Volt Chargings Speed Is Not A Big Concern For Me. Normally Even At 12 Amps Its Plenty Fast Enough And For Those Abnormal Times I Just Swing By The Local Fast Charge For A Quick Boost.

Either Way Its Great Your Dealer Has Been So Accommodating. It Is A great Dealership Experience During A Time When They Seemed To Have Become Quite rare

mynameisjim said:
Did you just capitalize the first letter of every word? How long does that take?
It Is Actually Effortless.It Started On The Last Android Update And Only Does This On This Website Only When Posting From My Phone.Weird Huh?

deanwaterman said:
I am going to do a new upgrade for the 2013, so selling the 2012 EVSE to pay for expenses.

The unit is in 9.5/10 condition, and equipped with the twist 220W plug (NEMA L6-20R), standard for the upgrade. This also has the latest update (I paid extra at the time to do so), so it is ready to go for any 2011 and 2012 LEAF. It does work on my 2013 too, just only at 4.5KWh charge, instead of the full 6.6KWh (or 6.0KWh real world) charge the new LEAF can do.
I hope you're not confused. The one you have now will charge at 16A, which is not really 4.5kW (kW, by the way, not kWh), but 4 kW at 250v. If you get your new EVSE upgraded it can charge at 20A, which is 5kW at 250v. So you will get a modest increase in rate, but not 6kW or 6.6kW.

How much difference that makes really depends not on the power at the EVSE, but the power at the battery. This is where the confusion between 6.6kW and 6.0kW comes in. The new charger can pull up to 6.6kW at the EVSE. The old one could pull up to 3.8kW there. At the battery end, the new one pushes in up to 6.0kW, while the old one was up to 3.3kW. The charger is probably slightly more efficient at high power levels due to cooling overhead, but if we ignore that, and assume 6/6.6 = ~91% efficient, then your old EVSE with its 4kW max will pump up to 3.64kW into the battery. Obviously that means 3.64kWh per hour. (See the difference between kW and kWh?) If you need 16kWh and it doesn't taper at the end, it will take about 4 hours and 25 minutes to charge. Under the same assumptions, the new EVSE would pump up to 4.54kW into the battery, and would take about 3 and a half hours to charge. So you would save 50 to 60 minutes.

A full 30A EVSE would indeed run at 6.6kW and pump 6kW into the battery. The same 16kWh charge would take about 2 hours and 40 minutes, saving another 50 minutes or so for the charge.

Bottom line: in terms of charging time, the new upgrade takes you about halfway down from the time of the old upgrade to the best time the on-board charger is capable of. But all three of them are really fast enough for most at-home charging. If you plan to use the upgrade on the road, that's a different story.

Ray

DaveinOlyWA said:
mynameisjim said:
Did you just capitalize the first letter of every word? How long does that take?
It Is Actually Effortless.It Started On The Last Android Update And Only Does This On This Website Only When Posting From My Phone.Weird Huh?
Are you using SwiftKey? Have you tried switching which "keyboard" you use?

A quick Google search for "first capital letters of each word android why typing" (w/o quotes) turned up http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/116693-2-bug-reports/suggestions/3687093-all-words-are-capitalized" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
mynameisjim said:
Are you using SwiftKey? Have you tried switching which "keyboard" you use?

A quick Google search for "first capital letters of each word android why typing" (w/o quotes) turned up http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/116693-2-bug-reports/suggestions/3687093-all-words-are-capitalized" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

interesting. the "update" I got is barely a week old and it is droid OS only (It has broken SEVERAL things) and not using Swift Key sooo dk

Back