Disabling stability control

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nader

Planning on attending the local autocross this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on turning off the stability control.

nader said:
Planning on attending the local autocross this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on turning off the stability control.
I've had 2 Nissans in the past w/ VDC or TCS. I've used them in autoX and at track days and in every case it was always better to turn the VDC/TCS off. I don't think I know any car where the electronic safeties makes for a faster laps/run time w/ a capable driver.

Unlike every car I have had in the past that has ESC, there appears to be no way to turn it off on the Leaf, just traction control...

nader said:

You think pulling the ABS fuse would do it? I'm testing a prototype coilover and rear sway bar and the ESP is really getting in the way. Just as the car begins to rotate the electronic nannies kick in.

Pulling ABS fuse is a common trick to disabling stability control, but often ABS is helpful even when racing.

nader said:
I'm testing a prototype coilover and rear sway bar
But I really want to know about this prototype coilover and rear sway bar you're testing... Better than the Tein setup which is somewhat limited in ride height adjustment and bump travel? Spill the beans, man! :D

What's going to stop the power cut though or is that all tied to the ABS?

I can't disclose much right now but I will be polling to gauge interest soon. I need 25 sets to take it to production. The setup is pretty aggressive right now and rides very low. Like, scrapes on bumps low. Plenty of bump travel though.

Would there be much of an advantage to be gained by disabling the ABS? Usually that's one of those "all in" modifications that guys do to get 2-3 tenths on their runs when competing. If you're experimenting w/ new suspension wouldn't it be better to leave the vehicle completely stock so you can observe the benefit of the modification?

Looking forward to hearing about these new suspension mod. I'm just now starting to look into what potential the Leaf has for fun. Please keep us informed.

I actually dont want to disable the ABS. I just want the ESP turned off so I can get the car to rotate a bit. In the past removing the ABS fuse totally disables traction control since the ABS wheels sensors aren't monitoring wheel spin. With the tight turns of an autocross I am betting that ESP will kick in a lot and that wont be good for lap times. The rear bar will give a little trailing throttle over steer mid turn but the yaw sensor is set so sensitive that the car doesn't allow you to have much fun. More experimentation is necessary.

My current experience with the TC off is that only really turns off if you are driving in a straight line. If one wheel starts to spin mid-turn the ESP still cuts the juice.

Hmmm....when I've tried the same corner at different times w/ the TCS turned off I feel like it had less or more power than when I attempted it previously. I couldn't tell if it was the tires or something w/ the electrical drive system I'm not understanding, it just didn't feel consistent. Is that what I am feeling, the ESP(ESC?)?

Take a glance at the dash next time and there will be a flashing yellow light in the upper right hand corner of the instrument cluster if it is engaging. When the ESP kicks all power is lost until the car regains it's composure. You may hear touch of ABS kicking in too bring things back in line.

nader said:
Too late to be of any good now, but isn't that what the "VDC" button does? Turn off stability control but retain traction control?

Owner's manual, page 5-24:
"When the
VDC switch is used to turn off the system, the
VDC system still operates to prevent one drive
wheel from slipping by transferring power to a
drive wheel that is not slipping. The warning
flashes if this occurs. All other VDC functions
are off
and the warning will not flash.
"

nader said:
Take a glance at the dash next time and there will be a flashing yellow light in the upper right hand corner of the instrument cluster if it is engaging. When the ESP kicks all power is lost until the car regains it's composure. You may hear touch of ABS kicking in too bring things back in line.
It seems like it may be the panic braking issue that you encountered in autoX. I brake hard into the corner, trail brake into it slightly and attempt to get on the power to balance it through the corner. At times it feels like the power is off and/or brakes are still holding. VDC is off when I attempt it so the light is already on prior to attempting the corner.

Back