GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: Figuring out how to disable the noisemaker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Got it. It works a treat! I'll post details later tonight after I get everything back together.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

daniel
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm

I gather that the car has a button which turns off the noisemaker, and you guys are talking about ways to make it default to OFF rather than ON. Is that correct? (I don't have my Leaf yet.) It sounds like a nice mod, but I probably would not do it if I had to take stuff apart to install it. I did install the Coastal Tech EV switch on my Prius, but that was to gain a feature the car would not otherwise give me. And I had a very hard time with it and very nearly screwed up. I'd pay someone to install this, since I HATE noise, but I'd probably press the button every time rather than trying to install it myself. (I mention this since I think I probably speak for a lot of people who'd like the feature, but are scared to disassemble their brand new car.)

Oh, and I love it that folks are figuring out how to improve the car and posting what they learn.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I know it's a PITA, but pretty much I solder everything. That's not to say it's the only way, I've just personally seen those connectors fail too many times.

If I'm tapping into the middle of a wire and not ready to solder it, I'll sometimes cut 3mm of the insulation of the wire I want to tap into to expose the wire, poke a meter lead or other sharp object through the strands so the strand go around the hole evenly (don't just have one strand go around one way and the rest on the other way), and first pass the new wire through the hole, then twist it around. It makes for a very solid connection without solder. Just my personal preference.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

GeekEV

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 pm

daniel wrote:I gather that the car has a button which turns off the noisemaker, and you guys are talking about ways to make it default to OFF rather than ON. Is that correct?
You are correct. As for the difficulty, if you have any mechanical inclinations at all it's not too hard. If you've got a friend who does car stereo work, or something similar, maybe you can rope him into it. You might even be able to get a shop to do it (dunno). Everything needed to make this work is in this thread already, but I'll write it up more concisely later tonight...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

nater

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Geek, did the 9 volt suffice for programming?

GeekEV

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Actually, I chickened out and picked up a little 12v battery while I was at Radio Shack in case that didn't work - and wound up just using it. But actually, now that I know how it works and verifying that the TP-7 works as expected with my multimeter, I recommend just doing it in-place during the installation. I'm getting ready to post what I did shortly.
Last edited by GeekEV on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

GeekEV

Re: How to make the VPS (noisemaker) button default to off

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Alright everyone, I've updated my OP with a synopsis of installation instructions. Thanks a ton to turbo2ltr for his original work in figuring this out, and nater for his suggestion of the TR-7 module. Total cost for this mod will probably run you about $30 or less. Enjoy!

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

daniel
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:04 am

GeekEV wrote:
daniel wrote:I gather that the car has a button which turns off the noisemaker, and you guys are talking about ways to make it default to OFF rather than ON. Is that correct?
You are correct. As for the difficulty, if you have any mechanical inclinations at all it's not too hard. If you've got a friend who does car stereo work, or something similar, maybe you can rope him into it. You might even be able to get a shop to do it (dunno). Everything needed to make this work is in this thread already, but I'll write it up more concisely later tonight...
Thanks for this, and for the details now posted in your OP. I may ask my dealer if he'll do this for me, but otherwise I won't try. I'm actually pretty comfortable with a soldering iron (I assembled a few Heathkits back in the day, including an HW8 that worked beautifully) but I'm a complete klutz with the mechanical stuff. Considering that the alternative is just pressing a button every time I start the car...

My Zap Xebra has a back-up beeper that I hate, but which is useful when backing out of blind parking slots in busy parking lots. I have a switch so I can turn it on and off and it's not that big a deal. I had a mechanic connect the switch, using one of the existing unused dashboard switches in the car. With the Leaf, I may want to enable the noisemaker under the same situations: Backing out of a slot in a busy parking lot where pedestrians might otherwise not be aware of me, and I cannot see them approaching around the back of the ubiquitous stinking SUV.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

JasonT

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

This rocks. A friend of mine has some "better" tap in connectors (taps into existing wire, but uses a crimped wire for the one you are adding in). I know, it's still not soldering, but I'm not sure I trust myself in trying to strip an in-harness wire.

He's asking me if I need 14-16 gauge, or 18-22 gauge. Since I don't have the car or the module yet, can someone here let me know which set I need?

Thanks,
Jason T.

GeekEV

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am

I'm not sure of the actual wire gauge, but the connectors I used are rated for 14 - 18 gauge. I think it's 18, they're pretty tiny wires.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

Return to “Accessories / Mods”