Charging during snow & ice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejm4

We are expecting freezing rain and snow this week. Do other charge in this conditions? I have only had the Leaf during one snow event and I didn't charge that evening. On my 2020 can lower the flap cover some, but not sure if there is any potential damage by charging overnight during an ice / snow storm?

Try to park the car so the prevailing wind doesn't fill the port with ice. If possible, charge the car either before or after the actual icing event. (Keeping in mind that there may be no power after it.)

I lower the lid, too. But it doesn't do much good, if it's windy and snowy and then icy.

A ton of ice in the charger compartment does NOT appear to affect functionality for me, except for having to (carefully) chip some ice to get the little hatch thingy open.

I live in harsh environment. Absolutely doesn't matter. All fine.
Keep the flaps closed or filled with a nozzle, so nothing gets in.

I even keep a thermos of hot water with me/in the vehicle so I can melt off any ice build up. I know you will say, "but what if that freezes too"? Well better to have a thin layer of ice to break through than the entire port filled with ice and snow. :lol:

In case it's of interest for anyone looking to keep ice and snow out of the charge port...

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31405

I never had problems doing that on my 2012. 2020 has a garage but that area can withstand snow pretty well and a few times this winter charged outside while snowing or raining without concern.

Back