ZEO teardown

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgeeknz

I'm wrecking out a ZE0 at the moment for parts.

If there's anything that anyone would like to see but can't easily access on their own ZE0, or anything anyone would like a closeup of, sing out and I'll try to help. **EDIT TO CLARIFY - I am offering to take photos here for informational purposes if someone has a specific need but doesn't want to dig in as deep as I have***

IMG_20240318_174622_3502.jpg

Last edited:
Always helpful to give an aprox location of where you are. RHD so I would guess not North America, but that is hardly narrowing it down. I would guess a Kiwi, but?
Can't see why my location would have any bearing on this. I'm not looking to sell parts, just offering to take photos.

Today, thanks to the help of a friend with a refrigerant recovery pump and bottle, I went from this:

IMG_20240317_184743_292.jpg

to this:

IMG_20240321_190140_652.jpg

Next up is the axles I think...

I'm wrecking out a ZE0 at the moment for parts.

If there's anything that anyone would like to see but can't easily access on their own ZE0, or anything anyone would like a closeup of, sing out and I'll try to help. **EDIT TO CLARIFY - I am offering to take photos here for informational purposes if someone has a specific need but doesn't want to dig in as deep as I have***

That's very generous of you!

I'd like to keep a spare tire in the hatch. I'd want to bolt it down because I don't want a 40 lbs projectile inside the car in a major accident. I'd like secure the tire to the hatch floor by drilling a hole in the floor.

The challenge is that the traction battery is under the floor. Don't wanna drill into that 😱 . The hole can be off to one side: the tire can probably be secured to an eye bolt w/ a strap.

Would it be possible for you to eyeball a likely location for such a hole? Thanks a million! 💜

The HV battery doesn't extend under the rear hatch, at least not in the first generation (ZE0). It stops immediately before the rear beam axle. If you look in front of your back tires from the side you can see the rear corner of the battery case.

That's very generous of you!

I'd like to keep a spare tire in the hatch. I'd want to bolt it down because I don't want a 40 lbs projectile inside the car in a major accident. I'd like secure the tire to the hatch floor by drilling a hole in the floor.

The challenge is that the traction battery is under the floor. Don't wanna drill into that 😱 . The hole can be off to one side: the tire can probably be secured to an eye bolt w/ a strap.

Would it be possible for you to eyeball a likely location for such a hole? Thanks a million! 💜
Thanks for the acknowledgement :) I've learnt loads from this forum and it's nice to be able to give back.

I think you'll be fine. As @Drew21 mentioned, the HV battery doesn't extend underneath the boot so you should be good as gold. Just watch out for the electric handbrake assembly under there if you're sporting a ZE0 (already removed in my photos).

The way I would recommend approaching it is to jack up the rear of the vehicle and secure on a couple of axle stands, then proceed to remove the plastic skid tray which is just a bunch of those pull-out plastic clips and I think from memory maybe one 10mm bolt on either side. Once the plastic tray is out of the way you should have a good clear view of the underneath of the boot floor. I would drill upwards from below and use a washer on either side to help strengthen the boot pan.

My vehicle is on the ground now and access is limited, plus the boot is full of all the bracketry I have to remove, but never the less I've taken some photos and I hope they help you move your project forwards :)

IMG_20240324_095500_053.jpg

IMG_20240324_095511_175.jpg
IMG_20240324_095559_338.jpg
IMG_20240324_095537_692.jpg

Thanks for the acknowledgement :) I've learnt loads from this forum and it's nice to be able to give back.
💜
I think you'll be fine. As @Drew21 mentioned, the HV battery doesn't extend underneath the boot so you should be good as gold. Just watch out for the electric handbrake assembly under there if you're sporting a ZE0 (already removed in my photos).
[...]
My vehicle is on the ground now and access is limited, plus the boot is full of all the bracketry I have to remove, but never the less I've taken some photos and I hope they help you move your project forwards :)
Those are very helpful pics! Thanks!

I've just replaced the struts and shocks myself on my 2011 SV so I -̶a̶m̶ ̶d̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶-̶ have the wherewithal to attempt drilling into the floor of the hatch. After eleven years of ownership and about 230 miles away from the 100K mark, I will finally get around to it and have a spare tire! 🙃

💜

Those are very helpful pics! Thanks!

I've just replaced the struts and shocks myself on my 2011 SV so I -̶a̶m̶ ̶d̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶-̶ have the wherewithal to attempt drilling into the floor of the hatch. After eleven years of ownership and about 230 miles away from the 100K mark, I will finally get around to it and have a spare tire! 🙃

I was chatting with someone a few days ago who has had a towball fitted to their Leaf that apparently bolts through the boot floorplan! He was telling me how he didn't trust it and put much larger plates on either side to make it safer.

Good luck with your install :)

Back