WILL PAY LOTS OF $$$

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malloryk said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Its an offer. Take it or leave it and what does Nissan corporate policy have to do with a reservation holder who is willing to sell their vehicle after delivery which is essentially what they are doing here.
Remember without the reservationist in on this nothing happens.

That's not what's happening here though. From what I understand, corporateauto is purchasing the car from Nissan. This was his quote:

Purchasing the car is not required. As mentioned previous, we would approach dealer together. I'm not asking to purchase your reservation, rather paying you to walk away from your car. It would be planned and decided with dealer in advance of "walking". We'd negotiate a price to have the reservation holder walk away from the car. Also, I will pay the dealer over an above what they were going to charge you originally. Thus, the reservation holder makes money, the dealer makes more money and no transaction is necessary previous to me purchasing the "Orphan".

Yes, three parties must be parties to the contract, with the new buyer compensating both the dealer and "order owner" who wishes to sell his or her "parental rights" to the "orphan". I don't see any reason another party, such as the OP of this thread, need be involved, or compensated.

Obviously, plenty of opportunities for someone to wind up with the wrong end of the horse in such trading. I doubt Nissan would approve, too great a risk of bad PR, but they might not have the legal right to block such transactions. I wonder how many dealers would really go for it? After all, they normally get the entire profit from orphans, as I understand it, so they probably would only wind up paying many "order owners" for cars that would be "orphaned" anyway.

I think what OP doesn't probably appreciate is that - having a reservation is not enough to get a car. You need to have ordered. Apparently people who are going thr' the hassle of ordering (possibly site inspections from AV) will not give up on the car for a paltry $1K. Unless they don't want to buy the car for some changed circumstances.

So OP has to find someone with a reservation but no interest in the car - get him/her to order - wait for months and then do this deal.

EVDRIVER said:
The mods and the admin communicate regularly on such issues, we have a non-public mod forum where we discuss such decisions.
evnow and I have traded PMs and I now understand that to be the case.

I spoke with my dealer in Los Angeles, and here is my offer: I will "orphan" my order for $3,000, and the dealer will agree to sell it to you for MSRP + $6,000. The dealer said they are swamped with offers for 5K over MSRP but would put you in my Leaf for the extra 1K! Net cost to you is MSRP + 9,000

The 1k offer is a joke. Clients like the manufacturers mentioned that want a Leaf will pay lots of $$$s to get a car in this early stage.... what for...? to analyse and copy the technology... :idea:

there is a reason why those manufacturers have no agreements to exchange their products....

I can understand someone accepting $3,000 (or maybe a bit more) to get back in line and wait an extra 6 months, but I doubt anyone on this forum would do it for just $1,000-- unless maybe they were thinking of dropping out anyway. The forum is full of early-adopter enthusiasts who can't wait for their Leafs as it is!

leaflove said:
The 1k offer is a joke. Clients like the manufacturers mentioned that want a Leaf will pay lots of $$$s to get a car in this early stage.... what for...? to analyse and copy the technology... :idea:
How do you think OP makes money ?

Anyway, looks like he has an offer for $3K.

The games begin in the secondary market!! Looks like it is headed to $10,000 over MSRP

I have to say, this has been pretty entertaining. I'm really glad that I did this as at least its given some folks something to talk about. :D I thought I would be lacking in responses when I posted, I never imagined I'd be the hot topic. There's been a handful of people that have understood the concept. Those that have emailed and itchyanus who has posted yesterday, understand the concept.

Trust me folks, I wouldn't have taken the time to continue to reply to the posts if I were some scavenger out there corrupting the world. I'm your typical God fearing business man that's just trying to make a living. Once Nissan makes the push and gets volume out into the atmosphere, I'll be moving on to something else like the Prius V.

I appreciate all of the interest out their from people that are willing to listen. For those of you I have offended, I apoligize. I really didn't set out to cause anyone to lose sleep.

If anyone else has a real offer, like itchyanus , please contact me. Thank you all for your time, enjoy your Nissan Leaf's!

itchyanus said:
I spoke with my dealer in Los Angeles, and here is my offer: I will "orphan" my order for $3,000, and the dealer will agree to sell it to you for MSRP + $6,000. The dealer said they are swamped with offers for 5K over MSRP but would put you in my Leaf for the extra 1K! Net cost to you is MSRP + 9,000

Interesting:

itchyanus, I do not see your info in the spread sheet. Have you already ordered? When do you expect to get delivery (and your $3,000 cash I assume)?

I have an April delivery date, but it would take a lot more the $3,000 for me to part with it.

corporateauto said:
If anyone else has a real offer, like itchyanus , please contact me. Thank you all for your time, enjoy your Nissan Leaf's!
itchyanus's offer wasn't all that real. Let us know if you get a real offer.

Didn't want to start a new thread so figured I post this here. The owner of Leafowner.com (ironically) sold his Leaf. This is his post today about it.

http://www.leafowner.com/Forums/forumid/2/threadid/681/scope/posts.aspx

Just played this "Indecent Proposal" game with my wife. She settled on purchase price + $52K cash for the LEAF in our garage. And being a "girl" she reserves the right to change her mind, for any reason before the "sale".

My sale price is much higher though :!:

malloryk said:
Didn't want to start a new thread so figured I post this here. The owner of Leafowner.com (ironically) sold his Leaf. This is his post today about it.

http://www.leafowner.com/Forums/forumid/2/threadid/681/scope/posts.aspx

Odd that he would write that long post and leave out the only facts of any interest, who paid how much.

Maybe, as other manufactures get their hands on LEAF's, Nissan will give out more details to LEAF owner/drivers.

GroundLoop said:
Don't forget Wheeler's "1st San Diego Leaf" is also for sale.. 2x MSRP, last I saw.
According to Nissan 2 orphans have been created till now.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/02/only-40-percent-of-leaf-orders-become-purchases.html

On the plus side, customers aren't walking away from the Leafs they ordered – the drop outs that have occurred when it came time to place an order, not to pick up a car, Gallagher said. "I only know of two occasions where that has happened," he said of deals canceled once a car arrived at a dealership.

If someone decides for whatever reason they don't want their LEAF, it should be their perogative to be able to sell it to someone else. If it is within 30 days of delivery it would become an orphan instead of going back onto the reservation list anyway.

For me personally $1K-$3K would be a significant net loss. If I got back in line I would loss the CA rebate. Depending on where you are in CA this could be anywhere from $5K to $8K. Since this would be considered income it would also be taxed so you real effective cost for getting back in line for an early CA reservation holder could easily be $5K-$16K depending on your tax bracket.

Back