Will 2014 be another Leaf refresh or a whole new model?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Geraldk said:
Toyota does not want to sell these. I had a check for 50,000 and they would not sell me one. Went with the leaf instead. I really liked the RAV, but I am very happy with the Leaf and was 40,000 cheaper!

They absolutely do want to sell them. I will sell you mine for $50k right now, and then I will go buy a net $30k one tomorrow.

Unless you bought a wrecked LEAF, you didn't get if for $10k.

Your data doesn't pass the basic smell test. However, if you're talking about many months ago, when the car was just released, no, they weren't discounting much.

The Leaf-It's a lease. :)

It was December. They would not deal at all. Pulled me in after walking out the door. Two times they brought paperwork to sign it was $5,000 more than we agreed.

According to this article the wait for the 2014 is over! :lol:

2014 Nissan Leaf debuts in Geneva with an improved range
http://www.carsession.com/car-news/2014-nissan-leaf-debuts-in-geneva-with-an-improved-range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm betting that they are actually talking about the 2013.

mirko said:
http://www.carsession.com/car-news/2014-nissan-leaf-debuts-in-geneva-with-an-improved-range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And it comes in a new color. Dark Cherry?

The Geneva unveiling is interesting. Could it be a 2014? The range of 124 miles vs "prior model" of 109 sounds like it could be a 2014 vs 2013 comparison. Any substantiation?

mirko said:
According to this article the wait for the 2014 is over! :lol:

I'm betting that they are actually talking about the 2013.
Yes - this is just the European 2013 model (may be they will call it 2014 model in Europe).

TonyWilliams said:
The Rav4 is available anywhere in the USA, and is already in many states, including the Seattle area that you're in. You have to buy it here in California to qualify Toyota to get enough Zero Emission Vehicles credit to sell hundreds of thousands of oil burning cars. Here's a deal currently offered (and its not a lease as you incorrectly state):

Last week I talked to 4 Toyota dealers in the area (Seattle) and two did not even know the car existed. The others told me only in California, I would have to go there to buy one...

If you know its available in Seattle, do you know which dealers will sell it?

ERG4ALL said:
The Geneva unveiling is interesting. Could it be a 2014? The range of 124 miles vs "prior model" of 109 sounds like it could be a 2014 vs 2013 comparison. Any substantiation?
2o13leafmnl

It's the same car sold in the US with a 75-mile EPA rating, also known as the 2013 LEAF to some. Guaranteed. Why there is talk about a 2014 MY and its unveiling at the Geneva auto show, I don't know. Perhaps it's something unrelated. Please have a look at a recent article by Eric Loveday, where he presents the results 2013 MY achieved on the European test cycle (NEDC). I'm quoting John Volcker's characterization of the European test cycle further below.

Eric Loveday said:
It’s worth noting that Nissan claims the Euro-spec LEAF’s range jumped from the previous rating of 175 km (109 miles) to 200 km (124 miles) in the updated version.
John Volcker said:
The European ratings are on a much gentler test cycle than the calculations used by the EPA, and are far more optimistic than most U.S. drivers will ever achieve.

klapauzius said:
TonyWilliams said:
The Rav4 is available anywhere in the USA, and is already in many states, including the Seattle area that you're in. You have to buy it here in California to qualify Toyota to get enough Zero Emission Vehicles credit to sell hundreds of thousands of oil burning cars. Here's a deal currently offered (and its not a lease as you incorrectly state):

Last week I talked to 4 Toyota dealers in the area (Seattle) and two did not even know the car existed. The others told me only in California, I would have to go there to buy one...

If you know its available in Seattle, do you know which dealers will sell it?

I didn't say you could buy it anywhere except California, and I specifically said that you MUST buy it in California. However, for $500-$1500 (depending where in the USA and how it's shipped), its available everywhere and you get it shipped to your door like Tesla does.

ERG4ALL said:

Oh crap, here we go again.

124 miles = 200km Japan "EPA" rating for 2011-2012
142 miles = 228km Japan "EPA" for 2013

109 miles = 175km UK / Euro 2011-2012

73 miles = USA 2011-2012
75 miles = USA tentatively until EPA approves it

THESE ARE ALL THE SAME CAR WITH THE SAME EXACT REAL LIFE RANGE, 2011-2013 LEAF.

With my lease expiring next year, I hope that the 2014 MY has a significant refresh. When I got my LEAF in March 2011 I had intended to buy the car at end of term for $15K. The new pricing and incremental improvements in interior styling, HVAC, level 2 charging rate and range in the 2013 MY are enticing but not enough to upgrade. At the same time, newer tech from competitors is intriguing. Depending on where BMW comes in on price with the i3, I may be leaving the LEAF next year. I will definitely be watching this thread.

ERG4ALL said:
Oh crap, here we go again.
If it bothers you to spread your intellectual wealth...Don't.

Well, thanks for that. I guess it goes both ways... If you don't want to read mine, don't.

I guess it's just a perpetual motion machine of the never ending saga of wanting to believe against all rational thought (and plenty of previous supporting evidence) that the LEAF will somehow go farther if we just will it to do so.

2o13leafmnl
Seeing this exchange, it occurred to me that some of this dynamics is similar to the reaction to my April 1 blog post last year. I followed Tom's lead then. He had penned a brilliant and very funny post, in my mind at least, extolling the virtues of some fantastic new tech BMW let him test. He used one of my guessometer photos with 156 miles of range indicated, which I previously posted in our Facebook group. To me, this was a giveaway for anyone who paid attention to our daily banter there.

I honestly thought that our fellow test trial participants and other EV enthusiasts would see through the irony of this all, but to my amazement, virtually all of them took the bait, hook, line and sinker. Apparently, we all want to believe, and yet the technological advances are not coming as fast as one would hope. That could change, obviously, especially once there is significant momentum behind new mobility. But we are not quite there yet. That said, it was painful to tell all the well-meaning folks that the new battery post was an elaborate hoax. I believe that some of them were a bit upset too.

The data posted upthread corresponds to the 2013 LEAF. I don't have any inside info on this, but realistically, I would not expect a major model refresh in 2014. I think that it's more likely to see some of the incremental innovation in new vehicles, such as the Infinity LE and the Zoe. Personally, I would not expect a major change in battery chemistry so soon.

I remember Nissan saying the following about 2014:
1. There is going to be a significant styling change. (That can mean anything.)
2. There will be an option for a bigger battery pack. Perhaps takes up more trunk space.

Nissan has "said" more things than I can remember that turned out to not be true!

DanCar said:
2. There will be an option for a bigger battery pack. Perhaps takes up more trunk space.

2o13leafmnl
DanCar said:
References?

Back