Why Electric?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

With this as an introductory setting:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4[/youtube]

Why do you drive electric?

edit... I don't mean this to be a debate or an analysis of the video. Also, it's for BEV owners and/or operators - not for PHEVs. Why did you purchase or lease an electric vehicle - regardless of the number of seats and/or wheels. ;) Thanks!

An interesting presentation. Since I don't have a good place to put my notes otherwise, I'll outline that breakdown of users regarding a new innovation.
- 2.5%: The Innovators; they actually create the New Thing.
- 13.5%: Early Adopters.
- 34%: Early Majority. This is about the point you can't go anywhere without "hearing about it".
- 34%: Late Majority. Everyone else.
- 16%: Laggards. Forced into it when all other choices disappear.

My wife tends to live at the left side of the chart. I'm usually on the other. That 16% is me, exactly, when it comes to new versions of Windows. Of course, my LEAF says, "That may be a guide, but you can't really predict where I'll fall with any given product".

One implication of the above figures is, that if 10% bought EV's, it would still not be enough to turn the tide (referred to in the video as the "tipping point"). Strangely, hybrids haven't gotten there either, though it sure feels like they have.

There's also the central point in the video of Why/How/What (the Golden Circle). The "Why" part sounds a lot like Mr. Musk.

This business of the Early Majority "waiting until they see the Early Adopters with one" explains my choosing to buy a hybrid in 2010, and a LEAF in 2011.

AndyH said:
But - still no answers - WHY do you drive electric?
To lower my carbon footprint. I buy 100% renewable energy from LA DWP (and hope they aren't lying about the renewable part). Before purchasing my Leaf I used about 500 gallons of gas a year driving. Now I use about 125 gallons a year, and that amount moves 3 people and equipment around, so technically my share is about 40 gallons.

AndyH said:

To support, what I believe, will be a major CO2 saver.

Because, for our driving pattern, it is far more convenient.

To reduce local pollution.

To support companies taking the chance on electrics.

To enjoy the incredibly smooth, quiet, instantly reactive and 'torquey' driving experience.

I grew up near Cleveland, Ohio in the 1960's. Growing up then we were awash in the promise of a new era. Exploration of space, amazing strides in science, medicine, technology. The Great Society. The War on Poverty.

We were brought to these opportunities by the tremendous success of the great industries of the previous 100 years.

And yet those remarkable advances had brought problems of their own and Cleveland was a prime example. The steel and coke plants were still a powerful part of the city when I was a kid. I remember my mother used to take me downtown for Christmas shopping. The number of huge department stores was amazing and it let to subversive thoughts in a 4-year-old upon seeing the 5th or 6th Santa Clause of the day. :p It was fun but I also dreaded it because the entire downtown seemed to have a permanent stink of sulfur and other fumes from the coke plant and mills. A few years later the river that flowed through town infamously caught fire. And not long after that, our class took a field trip on an excursion boat that actually took passengers on that river. The city views were interesting but the river itself was wretched. The boat, as I recall, was "The Goodtime II". We kids had fun speculating about the fate of "The Goodtime I". Dissolved, was a popular guess. :lol: Cleveland was a mess.

In the midst of the dawning environmental awareness of the late 60's and early 70's I recall reading articles about electric cars, the challenges facing their development and interesting things like regenerative braking.

In my teens I took up bicycling, which became a life-long pursuit and so I've spent decades in the exhaust plumes of countless motor vehicles. After a few million lungfuls it starts to wear on you.

I learned to drive shortly before the oil shocks of the late '70's. The price of gasoline skyrocketed. Not only were the old gas guzzlers dirty but suddenly they were also stupidly expensive. And Mid-east tensions became a staple of the American news diet.

Inexorably we were pulled into conflict there and so we've had years of warfare based on petroleum.

And now it's become plain that the warnings in the '60's that we were ruining the planet, were not hyperbole.

In short, I have a love-hate relationship with petroleum. It has given us great prosperity but it's also been responsible for a lot of the things that have sucked about our world since I was a kid. I'm so tired of it. And I keep hearing the same tired anti-environmental arguments I heard from the old fogies when I was a kid. Same arguments, just new old fogies. We're smarter than this and we have the technology to fix it.

And so when I test-drove the LEAF, my 19-year-old "chaperone" asked me why I was interested in the car. The answer was easy. I'd been waiting for it since I was a kid. Other kids played with Hot Wheels and daydreamed about Corvettes and Camaros. My toy cars had little electric motors and were powered by N-cell batteries.

Did I make clear my WHY yet?

Gasoline sucks. It's dirty from beginning to end. From well to pipeline, to tankers, to refineries, to gas stations, to cars, to exhaust. It's a trail of disgusting filth that ruins and kills at every step with its pollution, spills and wars. It's like a curse and I can't wait to be done with it.

I can't wait for the day when you see gasoline cars mostly in museums and the occasional passing by of an antique car club, sort of like once in awhile you see a line of Model Ts off to some gathering. I can't wait for gasoline to be nostalgic.

Another kid from the 60's here, in SoCal, where the smog was visible every day.

I went electric because it makes sense for my commute and it's cheaper. Much cheaper.

Because I like electric stuff. In 4th grade when most were reading comics I check a book out of the library and used the descriptions to secretly hand build a simple electric motor out of junk around the garage.

Because of the high price and possible supply disruptions of gasoline.

Because of the different and cool way the EV drives.

Energy independence and reducing pollution are nice too but not primary.

I drive electric because I like being able to refuel my car at home. I like that the car is ready go to every morning; I tend to leave for work at the last possible moment, so I don't have time to stop off and get gas on the way. I also like that the car is quiet and peppy and requires almost no maintenance.

Ok, so I quickly came up with a dozen reasons that probably cover 99% of why any of us "went electric". What would be interesting to see is the breakdown of reasons, including "combinations", in the form of the rank ordered top three (or five, or 12) reasons. I suspect this has been done by some group like PIA, or even Nissan itself. Anyway, here's a first draft (in no particular order and with some overlap). Feel free to edit or add more if I've overlooked any, and make/take a poll if so inclined!

1. Novelty, technical curiosity or interest
  2. Price of car (via rebates and tax credits)
  3. Price of fuel, or total cost of ownership/TCO
  4. Complement home solar
  5. Other benefits (car pool lane, toll discounts, employer incentives)
  6. Quiet ride
  7. Quick pickup, instant torque
  8. Smooth ride, no shifting
  9. Clean ride (environmental reasons/statement)
  10. Convenience (plug-in v gas, home v stations)
  11. Political or "moral" statement re: (Big) Oil &or wars
  12. National (economic) statement re: Trade deficit

Oh, and if I had to, I'd say all but complementing home solar played a part in my decision, in roughly equal amounts!

Why electric ?
Because self reliant energy made in abundance drives our economy and the most useful form of energy, high grade energy is electricity. That electricity can be made from many sources and can be used to transform raw materials into finished goods, adding value which drives our economy at the most basic level of manufacturing.
Using electricity to replace the use of petro for transportation is another area, coupled with the high availibility of electricity during off peak hours requires no new generation capacity nor grid expansion, it makes higher utilization of our current electric generation capacity and by charging when demand is the lowest, adds to the base electrical load where our energy generation is the most efficient and has the lowest cost.

Now for the part that is the real why is my desire to see nuclear become a increasing component of that electric generation. We need many sources of electricity and roof top solar has it's role to play in helping to balance the energy equation from supplies and from demand use. By driving electric and charging at night I help create a use pattern that increases electric utilization, replacing the consumption of petrol with electric generation sources that could be carbon free. And while I'd like to think the PV solar I have on my roof powers my car, I know those electrons come from night time sources but the electrical energy I do make helps reduce the stress on the electrical grid from local 'distributed generation', reduce the need for high cost peak power generation when electrical needs are the highest, and when viewed from a 20 year time perspective will save money. I am just waiting for the why to become apparent to others and not let the what and how divert attention from the why.

These are mine in no particular order:

[*]Novelty and technical curiosity
[*]Price of car (via rebates and tax credits)
[*]Price of fuel and total cost of ownership
[*]HOV lane
[*]Quiet ride
[*]Instant torque
[*]Convenience (plug-in v gas, home v stations)

It's curious to me that the reason I have an electric car is always missed off everyone else's lists of possible reasons.

Here are the ones that influenced me.
[*]Novelty, technical curiosity or interest
[*]Complement home solar
[*]Car pool lane
[*]Convenience (plug-in v gas, home v stations)
[*]Political or "moral" statement re: (Big) Oil &or wars
[*]National (economic) statement re: Trade deficit

Zythryn said:
AndyH said:

To support, what I believe, will be a major CO2 saver.

Because, for our driving pattern, it is far more convenient.

To reduce local pollution.

To support companies taking the chance on electrics.

To enjoy the incredibly smooth, quiet, instantly reactive and 'torquey' driving experience.
What he said....

donald said:
It's curious to me that the reason I have an electric car is always missed off everyone else's lists of possible reasons.
Ok, it's a bit annoying, but since I threw the list together, I'll bite.

Pray tell, what is it that sets you so apart? And is it the primary, or -- even more special -- the only reason you have an electric car? Was it given to you?! (LOL)

Short answer: kick the oil habit for geopolitical (no more wars for oil) and environmental reasons.

Longer answer: I've been trying to be relatively resource efficient for decades — started recycling circa 1972 long before most people ever heard the term — although my main luxury is living alone. However, I am keenly aware that remote rural living is less efficient than living in a rabbit-warren in a city because one has to drive long distances for the most routine things, as opposed to walk, bicycle, or use public transit. But I really, really wanted out of cities and suburbia. The obvious answer was an electric car powered by solar panels. I started with the solar panels and now have finally been able to add the EV. No more burning oil just to get around.

Unlike what some others have said, my LEAF isn't remotely cost-effective. It would have cost much, much, much less to just keep driving the ICE. But I wanted to support the development of EVs, as well as finally be able to drive on sunpower. The biggest surprise was how much fun driving electric is. It would be hard to go back to just driving an ICE; I hope that EVs are successful so that it doesn't ever come to that.

Back