Whole Foods charging equipment location mistake?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

Need some feedback ...

Our local Whole Foods have 3 charging bays. Two level 2, one 3.

Schaumburg, IL.

BUT.

They are in the basement parking lot.

As such, there is no cell signal.

And the basement is locked at night.

Is it a mistake to have a charge station with no cell coverage?

Anyone know if it is normal for

a) Whole Foods to have basement parking ... know some that do not.
b) charging to be done in the "open"?

They can connect using a standard LAN connection to the business with an RJ-45 connection; a cell signal is not necessary. While we drivers don't like to see the units locked and not accessible at night or after-hours, the business doesn't have to worry about night-time vandalism either. And with a DC Fast charger, just the cable and connector alone is several thousand $$$.

Maybe they installed them in the parking structure because the electrical connections are closer?

750 N. Martingale Rd.
Schaumburg, IL 60173 USA
Store hours:
Every Day: 8:00am-10:00pm

For now it is a courtesy charging for people shopping there, therefore, expecting that will be open after hours maybe too much. But, it also states that is operated by 350green, therefore I expect they intend to charge in the future for this service, in that case location is unfortunate.

Don't think I posed the question well.

Our cell connection to the cars brain (car wings?) ... is it via their charging station CAT5 ... or via our cars Internet appliance?

or do they become one and the same once plugged in?

Sorry for my ignorance ... not taken delivery yet ... 5 June!

Or WiFi if that is available there. That is how Warner Bros. does it in their structure. It's only needed for billing/verification/whatever by the providing company. We certainly don't need it or cell coverage to just charge...

Randy said:
They can connect using a standard LAN connection to the business with an RJ-45 connection; a cell signal is not necessary.

I admit its the business' choice/decision where to put an EVSE (whether for convenience or security), but I also admit that I avoid charging areas WITHOUT cell coverage. Why? Not because of the EVSE itself (which is usually hard-wired to the internet), but because my CAR can't talk to the outside world. If I get a text message saying "charging has stopped", I know I need to go check on my car! Not only that, but sometimes I like to ping my car for charging status updates while eating, etc.

It's been interesting to differentiate the "good" EVSE installs (close to buildings, clearly marked with signs, etc.) vs. the "bad" ones (underground, nothing to prevent them getting "ICE'd", etc.). BTW, an example of a GOOD install near me happens to be at a Whole Foods (which was why I read this thread).

It is possible that your car may not be able to get a Car Wings cell signal at the charging location if it is underground, etc. It will not get a cell or LAN connection from the charging station either, as the car's cell system is stand-alone.

The car will still charge okay. Worst case, if your car's cell signal truly doesn't work there, then you won't be able to use your Car Wings connection to get a remote status update of your charging session. Or you wouldn't be able to turn on the pre-heat or pre-cool function from your phone. But we're talking about a retail store, so when you get done shopping, you just go back to the car and continue on your way...

The car will still charge just fine without a cell signal...

I've charged a lot in public and while the car notifications are nice, they are not something that I rely on all the time. I'm usually just picking up an hour or two charge around town. Might be a little different if you were on a road trip and really needed the charge; then you'd want to make sure that it was working okay.

I have put in a customer comment and called to ask the Whole Foods chain here to install QC's, I'd be so ecstatic if they actually did. I wouldn't be picky about location. Park, plug in, go shopping and come back to an 80% charge, droooool!

Stanton said:
It's been interesting to differentiate the "good" EVSE installs (close to buildings, clearly marked with signs, etc.) vs. the "bad" ones (underground, nothing to prevent them getting "ICE'd", etc.). BTW, an example of a GOOD install near me happens to be at a Whole Foods (which was why I read this thread).

Why would close to the building be a good thing ? I would think having it in a remote corner makes it highly unlikely it will be ICEd. Keep it near the entrance next to handicapped spots, expect them to be ICEd.

-Jay

Here in Chattanooga, our Whole Foods owned, Greenlife Grocery, has a solar-powered carport with five Blink Level 2 chargers. It's about 50 feet away from the store entrance. It is well signed "for electric vehicles only" and surprising, I've never been completely ICEd out of a charging spot---yet, even during the lunch hour.

Steve

mkjayakumar said:
Stanton said:

Why would close to the building be a good thing ? I would think having it in a remote corner makes it highly unlikely it will be ICEd. Keep it near the entrance next to handicapped spots, expect them to be ICEd.

-Jay

There are always exceptions, but my experience is that the shortest power cable run and/or availability of ADA/accessible parking usually dictate the location of the charging stations.

Randy said:
There are always exceptions, but my experience is that the shortest power cable run and/or availability of ADA/accessible parking usually dictate the location of the charging stations.
Good point.

Back