Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's day #5 with my Leaf and I made the bold move to drive into work today. 54miles of which the majority is freeway.

Conditions.
51 miles total (stopped at a coffee shop). 40 miles freeway w cruise control set to 55, 11 miles suburbs with stop light speeds up to 45 mph. Starting SOC 100%, Starting GOM 104 miles. No climate control. Light rain = int wipers; radio on. Temperature was 44 degrees with 0mph wind. 4 battery temp bars throughout journey. Car garaged indoors at around 50 deg.

After 51 miles I have 49% remaining! GOM remaining = 6 bars & 50 miles; avg speed 42mph;

I am very impressed!! I was expecting LBW.

I have a trickle charger at work and several public L2's on my way home.

Based on these results I should be able to reach 100 miles per full charge, even in this cold weather. Looking forward to the summer!

Your speed makes all the difference in the world but keep in mind your estimated miles will be off. I hace seen similaar numbers as well on drives like yours but my range ends up being more like 80 in winter, close to 90 in summer

DaveinOlyWA said:
Your speed makes all the difference in the world but keep in mind your estimated miles will be off. I hace seen similaar numbers as well on drives like yours but my range ends up being more like 80 in winter, close to 90 in summer

Agree, I don't go by the GOM, but I hear it's more accurate in the 2013s. I look closer at the % battery remaining (another new feature for 2013).

Congratulations..

This is the famous 100 miles of range that Nissan is always talking about, in the city, no climate control.. all the whiners here know what Nissan meant and they still complain about it... I thnk they even signed a document acknowledging that but they gloss that over.

Phatcat73 said:
It's day #5 with my Leaf and I made the bold move to drive into work today. 54miles of which the majority is freeway.
Conditions.
51 miles total (stopped at a coffee shop). 40 miles freeway w cruise control set to 55, 11 miles suburbs with stop light speeds up to 45 mph. Starting SOC 100%, Starting GOM 104 miles. No climate control. Light rain = int wipers; radio on. Temperature was 44 degrees with 0mph wind. 4 battery temp bars throughout journey. Car garaged indoors at around 50 deg.
After 51 miles I have 49% remaining! GOM remaining = 6 bars & 50 miles; avg speed 42mph;
I have a trickle charger at work and several public L2's on my way home.
Based on these results I should be able to reach 100 miles per full charge, even in this cold weather. Looking forward to the summer!
Glad to hear that you like the car.
How about resetting your miles/kwh on the dash, then let us know what it reads after a typical days commute ?

Herm said:
Congratulations..

This is the famous 100 miles of range that Nissan is always talking about, in the city, no climate control.. all the whiners here know what Nissan meant and they still complain about it... I thnk they even signed a document acknowledging that but they gloss that over.

No document about range was signed or even presented to me when I purchased my car. It would be nice if everyone would stop these blanket "everyone signed the document" statements. Not everyone signed one and as time goes on, you'll find more and more people HAVEN'T signed one.

vrwl said:
Herm said:
Congratulations..

No document about range was signed or even presented to me when I purchased my car. It would be nice everyone would stop these blanket "everyone signed the document" statements. Not everyone signed one and as time goes on, you'll find that more and more people HAVEN'T signed one.
same here, never signed any range document

Hi Mark,

Phatcat73 said:

Conditions.

I am very impressed!! I was expecting LBW...

If you were expecting LBW from that drive, you must have been taking some of the range FUD postings on MNL too seriously.

But your trip report does reflect excellent performance, and, IMO some indication of the increased range we can expect from 2013s over the earlier LEAFs, in not only the real-world conditions you experienced, but also over many or all other driving conditions.

I'd encourage you to get in the habit of using Carwings for the kWh use reports (and not only the kWh use reports, the regen charging reports there are also necessary for a full understanding your LEAFs energy use) which are demonstrably more accurate than the dash m/kwh for 2011-12m LEAFs, and for at least one 2013, as reported on this thread:

..Here are my suggestions, for you and other CW users.

All 2011-2 LEAFs, AFAIK, have reported the same Carwings odometer and Dash m/kWh error of consistently under-reporting by ~2.5%.

So if your CW miles driven is ~2.5% lower than your dash odometer miles, and your dash m/kWh is showing ~2.5% less than your nav screen m/kWh (0.1 m/kWh lower below ~6 m/kWh, and 0.2 m/kWh lower when you are getting over ~6 m/kWh) this is "normal" for 2011-2012 LEAFs.

Hopefully, Nissan has fixed this error in the 2013s. Any readers have a CW equipped 2013? Please check and report back.

If you are "missing" more miles than this, go to the "rate simulation" page at the CW site.

Here, each "trip" (each start/stop cycle) will be individually reported. Make sure that each of the "trips"you have made each day, is showing up. Each trip will show the same ~2.5% under-report of miles driven as your daily total, and each m/kWh report there will match your dash (if you reset it) for the corresponding trip, again showing the same ~2.5% under-report error.

The Dash, nav screen and CW m/kWh all are mathematically "correct" as a function of the total kWh use reported by CW for every trip, day, or months driving.

It's just that the dash uses the same ~2.5% understated miles to make its calculation of m/kWh as CW does, while the nav screen is always accurate as a function of reported kWh use, as it uses the dash odometer miles, for the m/kWh calculation.

Got it?...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to the odometer error in the dash m/kWh report on all LEAFs, I am fairly certain there is a variable error in my own LEAFs kWh use report, which is common to both the dash and nav screen m/Wh reports, and the Carwings kWh use report which is used in both m/kWh displays. IMO, this error is likely common to most, and perhaps even to all LEAFs

IIRC, you have a meter installed at your home charger. If you monitor your charges in kWh as reported by the meter, and the discharges in kWh as reported by Carwings, you may be able to do what no MNL contributor has so far manged to do, report with some accuracy the variable error rate in the kWh use reports in a LEAF from "new".

Looking forward to your future reports,

Ed

Phatcat73 said:
51 miles total (stopped at a coffee shop). 40 miles freeway w cruise control set to 55, 11 miles suburbs with stop light speeds up to 45 mph....

Fantastic results! Now you can run the heater and know that you have an adequate reserve to be warm in your car.

You obviously got fantastic economy, and I suspect that slower speeds is where the 2013 may show any increase in range over the previous years. Since your battery was cold, the capacity is already down about 5%, leaving about 20kWh to power the car, and it appears you used about 10kWh for those 51 miles, therefore you got about 5 miles/kWh of economy.

Going 55mph down the freeway would net about 4.6 miles/kWh, and very careful city driving can get over 5 miles/kWh, making an average of 5 miles/kWh, so your numbers certainly add up.

Enjoy the car and let us know how much the heater uses !! Remember to preheat the car for maximum comfort and economy. Also, let us know when you actually do drive 100 miles on a single charge here.

My new 2013 SL is great and i like way it rides and i can get to where
want to go and have charge left to go to lunch also like the color Metalic Slate
Too bad it Rained on my new car but i does not show the marks too bad. :roll: [ /b]

So a work buddy got a 2013 last week and we did an experiment. We drove the same 53 mile loop together in his car and mine with a 100% charge in both. Net results: After adjusting for my capacity loss, the efficiency and range was virtually identical. The dash and display efficiency numbers were also identical between the two cars. So, as Tony determined, no difference in range between a 2011/12 versus a 2013 when not using CC...

edatoakrun said:
Hi Mark,

Phatcat73 said:

Conditions.

I am very impressed!! I was expecting LBW...

If you were expecting LBW from that drive, you must have been taking some of the range FUD postings on MNL too seriously.

But your trip report does reflect excellent performance, and, IMO some indication of the increased range we can expect from 2013s over the earlier LEAFs, in not only the real-world conditions you experienced, but also over many or all other driving conditions.

I'd encourage you to get in the habit of using Carwings for the kWh use reports (and not only the kWh use reports, the regen charging reports there are also necessary for a full understanding your LEAFs energy use) which are demonstrably more accurate than the dash m/kwh for 2011-12m LEAFs, and for at least one 2013, as reported on this thread:

..Here are my suggestions, for you and other CW users.

All 2011-2 LEAFs, AFAIK, have reported the same Carwings odometer and Dash m/kWh error of consistently under-reporting by ~2.5%.

So if your CW miles driven is ~2.5% lower than your dash odometer miles, and your dash m/kWh is showing ~2.5% less than your nav screen m/kWh (0.1 m/kWh lower below ~6 m/kWh, and 0.2 m/kWh lower when you are getting over ~6 m/kWh) this is "normal" for 2011-2012 LEAFs.

Hopefully, Nissan has fixed this error in the 2013s. Any readers have a CW equipped 2013? Please check and report back.

If you are "missing" more miles than this, go to the "rate simulation" page at the CW site.

Here, each "trip" (each start/stop cycle) will be individually reported. Make sure that each of the "trips"you have made each day, is showing up. Each trip will show the same ~2.5% under-report of miles driven as your daily total, and each m/kWh report there will match your dash (if you reset it) for the corresponding trip, again showing the same ~2.5% under-report error.

The Dash, nav screen and CW m/kWh all are mathematically "correct" as a function of the total kWh use reported by CW for every trip, day, or months driving.

It's just that the dash uses the same ~2.5% understated miles to make its calculation of m/kWh as CW does, while the nav screen is always accurate as a function of reported kWh use, as it uses the dash odometer miles, for the m/kWh calculation.

Got it?...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to the odometer error in the dash m/kWh report on all LEAFs, I am fairly certain there is a variable error in my own LEAFs kWh use report, which is common to both the dash and nav screen m/Wh reports, and the Carwings kWh use report which is used in both m/kWh displays. IMO, this error is likely common to most, and perhaps even to all LEAFs

IIRC, you have a meter installed at your home charger. If you monitor your charges in kWh as reported by the meter, and the discharges in kWh as reported by Carwings, you may be able to do what no MNL contributor has so far manged to do, report with some accuracy the variable error rate in the kWh use reports in a LEAF from "new".

Looking forward to your future reports,

Ed

Thanks. During the prepurchase I posted on these forums my commute for feedback and it was all negative, even with the trickle charger at work. I have about 1-1/2 hours left at the office and the car is charged to 85% already! It's good to know I won't have any range issues with my 108 mile roundtrip commute. I may even set the car to charge to 80% long life mode and continue the commute. I may also take the quicker, albeit longer 120 mile commute (97% highway) at some point.

In the short term I will be increasing my speed gradually to get to a comfortable speed/efficiency balance. I'm too competitive to be constantly passed up on the highway doing 55mph - LOL. I'll try 60mph next...

I'll also take a look at the carwings site for additional metrics. I didn't know it existed! Thanks again!

Phatcat73 said:
In the short term I will be increasing my speed gradually to get to a comfortable speed/efficiency balance. I'm too competitive to be constantly passed up on the highway doing 55mph - LOL. I'll try 60mph next...
Just drive safe, competitiveness on the road not recomended

Mark, have you used a GPS to determine your actual speed at 55? My SV with 41-42psi reads 53 at 55. Your results are very similar to mine at that speed. I hit 6.0m/kW h at 55 (53) and increasing to 60 (58), it dropped to 5.8m/kW h, but I started with 23% to go 23 miles and only used 11%. I was surprised too! The temp was in the 60s / 5 TBs.

TomT said:
So a work buddy got a 2013 last week and we did an experiment. We drove the same 53 mile loop together in his car and mine with a 100% charge in both. Net results: After adjusting for my capacity loss, the efficiency and range was virtually identical. The dash and display efficiency numbers were also identical between the two cars. So, as Tony determined, no difference in range between a 2011/12 versus a 2013 when not using CC...

What actual speed did you two drive? It's definitely proven that the 2013 SV does better than the '11-'12 at 55 (53mph actual) and 60 (58).

We drove at 62 indicated on my car which has a measured error of 1% fast... There was also a total elevation change of 1,100 feet for the loop (which ended where it started). Tires pressures were the same for both cars.

LEAFfan said:
What actual speed did you two drive? It's definitely proven that the 2013 SV does better than the '11-'12 at 55 (53mph actual) and 60 (58).

EdmondLeaf said:
vrwl said:
No document about range was signed or even presented to me when I purchased my car. It would be nice everyone would stop these blanket "everyone signed the document" statements. Not everyone signed one and as time goes on, you'll find that more and more people HAVEN'T signed one.
same here, never signed any range document
Really? So neither of you signed a four-page "LEAF CUSTOMER DISCLOSURE FORM"? This is the first time I have ever heard such a report. I wonder if they did that only for 2011 cars.

Ray

Back