What's your long-term average energy efficiency reading?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.6 miles/kWh until temperatures dropped and the roads got wet. Dropped to 4.2 after that (both driver display). Around 30% freeway (55-60mph), the rest back roads at 40-50mph.

I have never reset since delivery, 5,800 miles.

I have been at 4.4 on the nav screen and 4.3 Behind the wheel since July, when it last changed, from 4.3 to 4.2 (behind the wheel) during the 8,000 ft climb up Mt. Lassen, and then reverted to 4.3 after a few thousand feet of the descent.

My Carwings rankings, below, break it down by the month.

Note the gross inaccuracy of CW before, and apparent accuracy after, the NTB11-041 update, which I had done on 8/2.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423&hilit=carwings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Month and Year

Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh
Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Silver 3457 4.5 miles/kWh
Oct/2011 Silver 3640 4.2 miles/kWh
Nov/2011 Gold 2792 4.2 miles/kWh
Dec/2011 Gold 2827 4.0 miles/kWh
Jan/2012 Gold 2269 4.3 miles/kWh

5.7 miles per KWh (on dash) over 6,000 miles. Reset when I first got the Leaf, haven't touched it since. Most miles driven are from 40 mile round trip on S. California freeway, with about 1500 feet elevation gain (and loss) for the round trip. I generally drive around 50-52 MPH in right hand lane when on the freeway, although allow speed up to 60 MPH on steep descent.

• Dash over life (June-now): 4.6 (I do reset this periodically, but I have logged it with timestamp. This is time weighted average from the log)
  • Carwings over life(?): 4.5 (from My Driving Style page)
  • Wall to wheels over life: 3.98

After 10K miles of mixed freeway and street driving in Lo Cal, our dash reads 4.4, nav screen 4.5, and Carwings says 6.8 miles/kWh average energy economy.

TT

Our long-term average, over 8800 miles and 9 months, is 4.3 m/kWh according to the dash. Probably the majority of our miles are in the mountains, sometimes including long descents with limited regen. In day-to-day driving up here, with other cars on the road, we tend to drive "normally", not slowly. However, on range-stretching drives, on climbs from the base of the mountain, and more often than not when we have the road to ourselves, we drive as efficiently as possible.

I'm 4.2 on the dash (never reset), and I recently started resetting my Energy-screen number every morning. On my daily commute, I usually get 4.5-4.7 depending on how hypermile-y I'm feeling. I've got a big hill to go over, so I don't think I can get up to 5.0. Weekend trips usually involve the freeway, which kills my lifetime avg.

5.9 @ 11500 miles...Yup, warm Phx.AZ. weather helps out a lot in averaging over 100 miles per charge..I always thought it would be the opposite and cold batteries would give a longer charge..

My since-I-bought-it average is 4.3 as shown on the console and consists of about 60% freeway and 40% surface streets... I make little in the way of an attempt to hypermile or drive efficiently unless I really need to stretch my range on a given day.

I reset weekly, but consistently get between 4-5 m/kWhr. It's just started getting cold here, but I've never seen anything below 4 bars on the battery. I'm finding that pre-heating (while plugged in) definitely boosts my perceived range for the day (probably warming up the batt pack). I only drive about 20%-30% highway.

Stanton said:
I reset weekly, but consistently get between 4-5 m/kWhr. It's just started getting cold here, but I've never seen anything below 4 bars on the battery. I'm finding that pre-heating (while plugged in) definitely boosts my perceived range for the day (probably warming up the batt pack). I only drive about 20%-30% highway.

This is likely because the battery is charging, albeit at a slower rate, while CC is on.

jeez, I cant believe some of these numbers.

I'm lucky to get 3.9. I might get low 4.x even when driving like a grandpa that my ankle hurts from holding my foot off the pedal so much and doing 5 under the limit in the right lane. I wouldn't want to be behind you guys that get 5 or 6. On average I get about 80 miles from a charge. But I'd say 80-90% is highway.

I've also recently noticed that driving slow and taking a really long time to accelerate and slow down doesn't save me nearly as much as I thought it would compared to just driving normal. I almost feel doing long slow accelerations actually takes more juice than accelerating up to speed normally, then being able to quickly back off to cruise power. I'm going to have to do some tests.

I now just drive like I normally would, and I got to say I have not missed the small loss of range at all.

turbo2ltr said:
jeez, I cant believe some of these numbers.

I'm lucky to get 3.9. I might get low 4.x even when driving like a grandpa that my ankle hurts from holding my foot off the pedal so much and doing 5 under the limit in the right lane. I wouldn't want to be behind you guys that get 5 or 6. On average I get about 80 miles from a charge. But I'd say 80-90% is highway.

I've also recently noticed that driving slow and taking a really long time to accelerate and slow down doesn't save me nearly as much as I thought it would compared to just driving normal. I almost feel doing long slow accelerations actually takes more juice than accelerating up to speed normally, then being able to quickly back off to cruise power. I'm going to have to do some tests.

I now just drive like I normally would, and I got to say I have not missed the small loss of range at all.

If you time lights this is very true and mathematically sound. If you hold the time to get from point A to B constant, the lowest energy solution to get from A to B is the one where you accelerate as fast as possible so you can then drive the remaining distance at a slower speed. Unfortunately trafffic doesn't often give you this luxury. Was discussed in another thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6321&hilit=time+constant&start=18

mark13 said:
5.9 @ 11500 miles...Yup, warm Phx.AZ. weather helps out a lot in averaging over 100 miles per charge..I always thought it would be the opposite and cold batteries would give a longer charge..
Damn! You beat me. Strong work.

turbo2ltr said:
80-90% highway
is probably it. I drive the grid my entire commute (25 miles each way) setting the cruise at 54mph between lights when able (so I'm right in the pack - neither the fastest nor the slowest). Dash says my average speed is 28-32. What is your top and average speed for you commute?

Back