What's your long-term average energy efficiency reading?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

For those of you who are not in the habit of resetting your energy efficiency reading often, I'm curious to know what your average miles/kwH number looks like?

Mine is 4.6 m/kwh on the dashboard and 4.7 m/kwh on the Energy screen (not sure why the difference, both were reset at the same time). I haven't reset those meters for 4 or 5 months now. My driving condition is hot summer/mild winter (AZ), with 80% of the driving at around 45mph and 20% at 65 mph on flat city driving terrain. Frequent AC use in summer and no heat use in winter.

5.4 mpk on Energy screen - that covers 2500 miles about 40F average temp. most speed 50mph but some very slow about 20 -25 mph, flat terrain, no CC at all

3.7 over the 2,000 or so miles that I've had it now. I use CC when needed, frequently drive at high speeds, up long, steep inclines and never miss an opportunity to show others how quick it is off the line! :D Seriously, it has considerably more daily range than we need and our solar panels produce more electricity than the Leaf consumes, so we don't worry at all about being conservative.

Now, having said that, I did take a different route to work this AM which avoids a steep, high-speed hill and was generally less "lead-footed" than normal which got me a 5.6 for my morning commute! Overall round trip will be lower as there is an unavoidable, long, steep hill on my route home. I should still end up over 4.0 though.

My CarWings says:
2011 - 4.0 mi/kWh (462.9 miles)
2010 - 4.3 mi/kWh (2384.1 miles)

So I guess my overall average is 4.15mi/kWh?

We drive 70% highways with hills so its hard to get higher averages. Plus, my wife has a lead foot - I'll drive 30 miles on a charge and get 4.4 mi/kWh and then she takes it out that night for 20 miles and the next morning it reads 3.9 mi/kWh :)

3.6 on the driver display (so about 3.1 from the wall) in the winter, 3.9 in the summer. I make good time in the carpool lane.

3.7 after 1200 miles and I'm not ashamed of it. I drive normally, as I don't need much range, and I don't need to charge that often. I drive in ECO mode because I like the feel of the regen, but I don't hold back when I accelerate.

I have 6500 miles on my Leaf, I haven't reset in a long time.
I live in a somewhat hilly area and drive about 60% freeway at about 60mph.

I initially got 4.0 driving carefully, but as I got less range anxiety and started driving a bit more spiritedly, it dropped to 3.9, finally settling at 3.8.

EricBayArea said:
My CarWings says:
2011 - 4.0 mi/kWh (462.9 miles)
2010 - 4.3 mi/kWh (2384.1 miles)

So I guess my overall average is 4.15mi/kWh?

HUH? You drove 2384 miles in 2010? Did you mean 2384 miles in 2011 and 462 miles in 2012?

In any case, you would need to do a weighted average, which would lean more toward the year with the larger number of miles. I'd say that your total is somewhere near 4.3 mi/kWh.

My average is somewhere near 3.8 mi/kWh from the main dashboard. My measured usage from the power panel ("wall") is 3.16, so my charging efficiency is about 83% using the AV Level 2 EVSE.

Just a side comment, whenever I try to drive with efficiency in mind, I am hard pressed to get more than 4.5 on the main dash display. That's with top speeds no more than 45 on residential and side roads. You guys getting close to 5 mi/kWh must really be taking it easy.

For me, I'd rather not display my EV as poking along in the slow lane, holding up other traffic, festooned as it is with "ELECTRIC" badges, a "WATT UPP" license plate and MyNissanLEAF license bracket. :lol: I'm in the camp that thinks that we need to show the general public that EVs are fun to drive.

Boomer23 said:
You guys getting close to 5 mi/kWh must really be taking it easy.
For me, I'd rather not display my EV as poking along in the slow lane, holding up other traffic, festooned as it is with "ELECTRIC" badges, a "WATT UPP" license plate and MyNissanLEAF license bracket. :lol: I'm in the camp that thinks that we need to show the general public that EVs are fun to drive.

I think I am somehow excused driving opposite direction than all the traffic, beside that 4 efficiency gauges in my sight make so difficult not to get involved in EV efficiency game. My carpool partner enjoy that game too, so we simply enjoying the efficiency game and ride

Boomer23 said:
You guys getting close to 5 mi/kWh must really be taking it easy.

For me, I'd rather not display my EV as poking along in the slow lane, holding up other traffic...

Or we are people that the LEAF fits our driving needs? My dash average MPH is 22 or 23mph. 90% of my driving is done on roads 45 mph and lower. The LEAF is a great fit for me since I rarely need to drive on the highway/interstate. I agree, were more of my driving on the interstate, my average would be lower.

After 9.5 months and 2200 miles, Carwings says I'm at 7.5.

It's only been on the freeway about a dozen times. I'm having way to much take the surface streets, far right lane, find the back way fun to change. If I have to go anywhere that involves a lot of freeway, the Leaf stays home.

Now that I have new front tires, I may put 3k miles on it next year.

Clippy said:

It's only been on the freeway about a dozen times. I'm having way to much take the surface streets, far right lane, find the back way fun to change. If I have to go anywhere that involves a lot of freeway, the Leaf stays home.

Wow, I just want to make sure you said that you're at 7.5 miles/kwh and that is no typo? Since you said this is a Carwings number, can you report on the 2 numbers you get on the car itself? One is the number on your dashboard and the other is the number on your energy screen? I wonder how these 2 numbers compared to your Carwings number? I just simply don't trust the Carwings number for some reason.

In just a little over 1 month, I've put on 1300+ miles, while averaging ~4.5m/kWh. I agree, its REALLY tough for me to get 5.0 or better. In both directions from my development its 55 mph for quite a while to either town, which pulls me down. I'm actually averaging 5.0 on this charge, but I've been driving very pokey. As others have said, I hate to do that too much, and give people the impression that electric cars are slow. Its more fun to let them all in the dust when the light turns green and get a 4.5 average. :D

Volusiano said:
Clippy said:

Wow, I just want to make sure you said that you're at 7.5 miles/kwh and that is no typo? Since you said this is a Carwings number, can you report on the 2 numbers you get on the car itself? One is the number on your dashboard and the other is the number on your energy screen? I wonder how these 2 numbers compared to your Carwings number? I just simply don't trust the Carwings number for some reason.

The car usually says I'm somewhere between 5 and 6. I actually drove the thing for 80 miles on the freeway this past weekend and I averaged 4.4 per both the car and Carwings. The 7.5 includes some times when I pulled 8+ during the spring and fall.

Carwings may be full of baloney or is it bologna, but it has the mileage correct and the kwh used matches my utility bills pretty closely.

Back