What's the thing you hate most about your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, done right, it could be a big plus exactly because it IS mostly a city car... My ICE has the adaptive cruise control where it can bring the car to a stop behind the car in front and then follow it up to whatever speed I set. I never have to touch the brake or accelerator and it does a very smooth job of it. With good algorithms, it could make such driving very energy efficient, probably more so than most drivers can obtain.

davidcary said:
Adaptive cruise control? It is a city car so I'm not sure this one makes any sense.

Tomasz said:
On the other hand - I took their 70 mile claim with the same grain of salt I do with any car manufacturers claims about fuel efficiency. Not a single car in my life could achieve EPA rating in real life driving, so I assumed that the Leaf has real life 50 mile range. And so far it exceeded my expectations every single time, even at 0F.

I've easily exceeded the EPA mileage figures in EVERY car that I've ever driven.

LEAFfan said:
Tomasz said:
On the other hand - I took their 70 mile claim with the same grain of salt I do with any car manufacturers claims about fuel efficiency. Not a single car in my life could achieve EPA rating in real life driving, so I assumed that the Leaf has real life 50 mile range. And so far it exceeded my expectations every single time, even at 0F.

I've easily exceeded the EPA mileage figures in EVERY car that I've ever driven.
Long time average (10k miles minimum)? Good for you.
Apparently my driving style (or the area I'm living in) is not up to par with standards. I have noted every single fueling in my CX-5 over last two years and although I'm able to get as high as 35mpg run on one tank, the average mpg over 25000 miles is 26.13 while EPA says 27.3.

LEAFfan said:
So have I. Although I will point out that it is easier to do in a hot climate due to reduced air density, as well as at high altitude where I've lived for the past thirty years, also due to reduced air density.

Not that a hypermiler such as you are wouldn't exceed the EPA gas mileage in a mild climate at sea level as well! Yes, driving technique matters...

FairwoodRed said:
I hate battery longevity and that you can't buy another battery.
+1.

Closing in on 47,000 miles, and the car is mechanically and cosmetically (except for that damned carpet! :evil: ) very sound. Battery performance has been my only complaint, further aggravated by the lack of transparency regarding battery replacement/upgrade options.

Considering that I leased the car to be an efficient commuter that stands out from the common Camry, I can't say I have a lot of real complaints about how it goes about its' mission. I knew about battery issues before I leased it, and it won't ever be a problem for me. If I had to nitpick, I'd say the heated steering wheel sucks (see the thread about that). This is probably a personal taste thing, but if I have the energy info screen on and change my radio mode (say from FM to XM), it then changes the screen to the radio screen. I wish it wouldn't do that, but that's real nitpicking.

Tomasz said:
Mazda cx-5,
BTW, I had to look for your post to confirm which you had when I came across the list at http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/car-dealer-scientific-guide-10-worst-used-vehicles-222709616.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (related list and more info at http://members.wolfram.com/nickl/QualityIndexRating.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Your vehicle's not on it.

I am a bit surprised to see 3 Mazdas on the list, as IIRC, most of their vehicles seem to have ok to good reliability, in Consumer Reports (which only goes back so many years, before a car drops off their reliability charts).

Back on topic, what I HATE most:

Since just about everything techno was an upgrade for me when I bought this car, I can't say I actually HATE anything about it ... EXCEPT that incredibly frustrating inability to deactive climate control and just run the friggin' fan for outside air. Arrggg! That annoys the crap outta me! Yes, I know Phil devised a fix/work-around for that, but I haven't the inclination, resources or expertise to put that into place myself and considering my daily commute is 16 miles RT, I resign myself to setting the AC to cool air or I just crack a window or two. I could say I HATE there's no QC available in Kansas City and that I was lied to about fast charging when I bought an SL, but the slow growth of infrastructure here is out of my control. Would be nice, but I've managed OK thus far. We're all at the mercy of the battery gods, we know this (and I know I won't qualify for a replacement when that time comes anyway, unfortunately :( ).

Everything else is just so minor and I expected little things to improve with each model year anyhow. Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have a button on the key fob to pop open the charge port? Eh, not a big deal. Faster OBC? Yeah, but I rarely deplete enough charge to worry about how fast I refill. Pressing "OK?" Would be nice if I could just do that once, but my fingers haven't worn out yet. :roll: Weird "carpet?" I don't spend time with my face below my seats very often and the mats work just fine, so don't care about that any more. Too light interior? Got the protection package to help with that should any spills/stains occur, but 99% of the time I'm the only one in the car (and I baby my car), so I'm used to it and think it's one of the car's nicer attributes (pretty). Electric seats? I missed losing those in the beginning, but since I rarely find the need to make adjustments, I'm over it. Dinky-sounding horn? We mid-westerners use our horns to warn crappy drivers they're about to hit us/cause an accident, etc. Worked just fine for me last week when a beater pick-up truck didn't see me through his camper shell when merging into my lane ahead of me. He corrected just fine, so I'm OK with it. Too-short visor? Piece of cardboard rectified that (free), but that's been a problem on a lot of my cars, so not solely LEAF-specific.

Overall the car has been a lot of fun, is cheap to run, it works great for my situation and I could afford it (owning a Tesla is a pipe dream for the average consumer). I expect to get a lot of good years out of the car even with future depletion expected. When it starts to bug me, I'll see what's peaks my interest then!

The three things that come to mind: The brakes are grabby and impossible to modulate. The steering is really light and not really that accurate. And, although this is not really that big of a deal, the steering wheel heater button is blocked by the steering wheel. This wouldn't be a problem if the heating cycle weren't nearly random, so I can't tell if it has turned off or is just low at the moment.

But the good far outweighs the bad, I think.

Other than limited range and battery degradation, I would say the heated steering wheel is the best and worst feature about the car. It turns off just when it starts getting warm and stays off for too long. Not sure what they were thinking.

Hate is a strong word, but there are things I dislike when it's -8°F with wind chill of -31°F, which is what the weather is all of this week where I live.

Many have mentioned the hot/cold steering wheel, which is definitely annoying. However, the worst cold-weather "feature" is the preheat not being able to use more than about 1.2kW when the vehicle is connected to level one. This leads to the system blowing ice-cold air anytime the temperature drops below the mid-20's.

To preheat my car, I have to make a special trip to disconnect the LEAF from level one. Only then will the preheat crank up to the necessary ~5kW

treinjapan said:
Hey gang!

It's always interesting to ask this question to owner's of a car I'm looking into buying. We all know that the Leaf is a great car and most owners love them.

What's the biggest disappointment you've had with your Leaf?
What's the thing you dislike most about it?

So, treinjapan, we haven't heard a lot from you since you started the "hate" thread. Knowing our likes and dislikes, have you made a decision? I'd "hate" that this thread is the musing of a troll...

eclecticflower said:
So, treinjapan, we haven't heard a lot from you since you started the "hate" thread. Knowing our likes and dislikes, have you made a decision? I'd "hate" that this thread is the musing of a troll...

On another thread he said he ended up buying a used 2012 SL (or whatever the equivalent model is in Japan) dealer demo model with only 6k km on it.

Cold weather performance - both range & slow heating (though this gets better in '13).

Other random things
- poor music player UI
- slow web connection
- random steering & seat heater switch off
- doesn't look nice from outside

Back