What would you pay to "upgrade" from 2012 SL to 2013 SV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogi62

I love my Leaf, but I think they have refined the car with the 2013 models.

I am considering trading my low milage 90 day old 2012 SL and getting a 2013 SV with no options other than floor matts and splash guards.
I own it so there are no lease problems.

Pros:
6.6 Kw charger (never had a low battery warning, but I hate waiting for the charge to finish)
better heater (most of my driving has been in 20 to 40 degree weather so far...burr)
not a light grey interior (will show dirt too soon)
cord lock (nice feature)
charger door release
red (sheep in wolfs clothing!)
D/B modes
separate ECO mode
charge percentage

Cons:
losing the review camera
losing the cargo cover
losing the homelink? (don't use it anyway)
no quick charge port (the chargers don't exist out here)
no led lights (does it make that much difference?)

With the tax credit, VPP pricing and loyalty bonus I think I can do it for under $3K, I'd like to get it lower.

What would you pay and are there any differences I am missing?

Interesting question, that I have thought about doing much the same thing only I would want the 2013SL instead of the SV.

I have a long narrow driveway and the backup camera is a nice feature that I would have a hard time giving up. Most of the other SL features are not that big of a deal breaker.

Where are you located ? There might not be any quick charge stations now, but if Nissan ever gets off their lazy *** and installs 600 stations like they promised that QC port might be kinda of nice to have.

It's obviously very much a matter of taste but the 2013 SV is very plebeian compared to a 2012 SL and I would miss the features and comforts. So, for me, the ROI would not be there for such a swap at any price. If it actually offered any tangible improvements in battery or range, it might be worth it but as it does not, I don't see it being worth the cost of the exchange for what is a very incremental and minimal overall improvement.

Yogi62 said:
I am considering trading my low milage 90 day old 2012 SL and getting a 2013 SV with no options other than floor matts and splash guards.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Terrible thing to do. Don't do it, you'll lose a ton of money for basically no reason.

What do you consider a ton of money?

Would you do it for $500? $1000? $2000? $3000? (total net cost with all taxes and fees)

I had a car salesman tell me that most cars drop 10% as soon as you drive it off the lot. The car will then drop some more as soon as the next model year comes out.

Based on those 2 items, the 3 grand or less would seem reasonable.

We're in the process of trading in our 15-month-old '12 SL for a '13 SV+LED+Premium. We owned the '12, but we're going to lease the '13. We are also getting VPP+loyalty discount (which we didn't have either of on the '12). Given that, our payments (and even total cost over several years) will decrease quite significantly. The depreciation of these cars is too great for us to want to own it now, especially given the fact that in 2-3 years the "next Leaf" will be significantly better yet again. So for us, it is actually in our best interests to trade up now.

Your pros/cons list is pretty similar to mine -- except we don't lose the camera or LED lights with the add-on packages. Personally I never want to have a car again without a backup camera, and the LED lights are the best headlights I've ever used. Also looking forward to the better sound system. Losing the HomeLink "kinda sucks", but you can have a dealer add that on for ~$300, or just buy a 2-door universal opener on Amazon for $20. We'd consider the new SL if it weren't for the leather seats -- both my wife and I are very adverse to that. Too bad, because I really love those new wheels...

Yogi62 said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Terrible thing to do. Don't do it, you'll lose a ton of money for basically no reason.

What do you consider a ton of money?

Would you do it for $500? $1000? $2000? $3000? (total net cost with all taxes and fees)

Keep going! Not to mention it is not an apples to apples swap. As an example if you buy a $50K car and it depreciates to $40K and you buy a new car for $40K all in the cost is not zero as you are not accounting for the loss on the first car that is already absorbed. Then when you drive the new car off the lot you now have added instant depreciation. Since you are not upgrading to a comparable model or up one what are you really getting? What do you think you really will get for your car? Why not wait for the next model so you won't want to swap the 2013.

EVDRIVER said:
Keep going! Not to mention it is not an apples to apples swap. As an example if you buy a $50K car and it depreciates to $40K and you buy a new car for $40K all in the cost is not zero as you are not accounting for the loss on the first car that is already absorbed. Then when you drive the new car off the lot you now have added instant depreciation. Since you are not upgrading to a comparable model or up one what are you really getting? What do you think you really will get for your car? Why not wait for the next model so you won't want to swap the 2013.

Thanks for your feedback. Everyone will have their own opinion, but I think the 2013 SV is a better car than the 2012 SL over the long term.

What I made or lost on the first car isn't really important now, (ok, it will be a profit after the tax credit I paid 18,505). But the important thing is I have a Leaf now, afterwards I will still have a Leaf, and how much cash (after another tax credit) will it cost me to make the change and is it worth it.

VPP, the loyalty cash and Uncle Sam are kicking $9500 into the deal, so something that would under other circumstances be crazy, trading in a less than a year old car might work out.

Yogi62 said:
EVDRIVER said:

Thanks for your feedback. Everyone will have their own opinion, but I think the 2013 SV is a better car than the 2012 SL over the long term. What I made or lost on the first car isn't really important now, (ok, it will be a profit after the tax credit I paid 18,505). But the important think is I have a car now, afterwards I will still have a car, and how much cash (after another tax credit) will it cost me to make the change and is it worth it.

What key features or benefits will you get exactly that make it worth the cost? Charger upgrade? Interior? Heater? There are not that many differences, if you had a 2011 I could see the addition of heated seats. Clearly if you want something bad enough Even $6k is not going to matter.

i cant see the value of the reasons you have listed. they are simply not worth that much to me.

if you are unhappy, do it. pay whatever it costs because that cost will be MUCH lower now than later.

I would simply make do and wait. EVs are still too new to pay big bucks for incremental upgrades. we should have learned that lesson back in the early part of this century with home PC craze.

now, if the car had bigger battery, then i would do it. But I think your best bet is to wait a few years for 2014 or 15 for an EV that is actually "bigger and better"

Yogi62 said:
EVDRIVER said:

Thanks for your feedback. Everyone will have their own opinion, but I think the 2013 SV is a better car than the 2012 SL over the long term.

What I made or lost on the first car isn't really important now, (ok, it will be a profit after the tax credit I paid 18,505). But the important thing is I have a Leaf now, afterwards I will still have a Leaf, and how much cash (after another tax credit) will it cost me to make the change and is it worth it.

VPP, the loyalty cash and Uncle Sam are kicking $9500 into the deal, so something that would under other circumstances be crazy, trading in a less than a year old car might work out.

hey Yogi! any progress on your car deal?

So I take it the Federal tax credits aren't limited to one every so many years per taxpayer?

oxo said:
So I take it the Federal tax credits aren't limited to one every so many years per taxpayer?

the only limits is your tax liability and the ability to buy cars. you could take $15000 tax credit IF you buy two qualifying EVs and you have that much tax liability

Yogi62 said:
(ok, it will be a profit after the tax credit I paid 18,505). ... VPP, the loyalty cash and Uncle Sam are kicking $9500 into the deal, so something that would under other circumstances be crazy, trading in a less than a year old car might work out.
Personal choice, and I'm curious what you decided to do.
You are in a much better situation than MOST people that bought a 2011 or 2012 LEAF.
You only paid a net $18,505.
On a 2011 LEAF I paid net $24,000 (or $22,000 if you allow $2K for the EV Project free installed EVSE).
I considered trading in for a 2013 SL, for many of the advantages you list.
I didn't like the disadvantages of foot activated parking brake, black leather (I like leather, but not in black), and having to put up with the VSP noise and back-up warning noise unless I wanted to go to a lot of trouble to disable, which might be a lawsuit liability if an accident did occur.
But even though my 2011 LEAF only has 13,000 miles and has not lost any capacity bars, in the market in TN would be hard pressed to get $17,000 for it.
So financially for me, I'll wait till a better model later.
I'd prefer a full luxury vehicle anyway, so I'll wait and see what Infiniti EV is like, and what it costs.
But for the criteria you listed, trading now may be the right thing for you.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I did make the upgrade in mid April and I am very happy with the 2013 SV.

I had been looking to get a Leaf for a couple years, signed up for a reservation but moved out of one of the earlier distribution states and never got to even test drive one. I bought the 2012 SL in January sight unseen on about 18 hours notice because it was such a great deal. My test drive was about 400 yards in the parking lot over to my car trailer. In the end, I got to check out what I liked and didn't like for 3 months and then traded it "just right for me" 2013 SV. The only thing I didn't get was the red exterior. Total after all taxes and credits 20.5K.

Of course if they start installing QC's out here I might have to trade it for a 2014 with the LED/QC package, especially if Nissan every goes back to tossing out big incentives again. I'm not expecting that to happen, but if it does.....it will be red!

Yogi62 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I did make the upgrade in mid April and I am very happy with the 2013 SV.

I had been looking to get a Leaf for a couple years, signed up for a reservation but moved out of one of the earlier distribution states and never got to even test drive one. I bought the 2012 SL in January sight unseen on about 18 hours notice because it was such a great deal. My test drive was about 400 yards in the parking lot over to my car trailer. In the end, I got to check out what I liked and didn't like for 3 months and then traded it "just right for me" 2013 SV. The only thing I didn't get was the red exterior. Total after all taxes and credits 20.5K.

Of course if they start installing QC's out here I might have to trade it for a 2014 with the LED/QC package, especially if Nissan every goes back to tossing out big incentives again. I'm not expecting that to happen, but if it does.....it will be red!

well glad you got what you wanted! so what was the bottom line on the cost to switch? like $2,000?

Yogi and all.....

We are in the same exact boat as you..., we are thinking of trading in our 17 month old 2012 SL with only 10k miles for a new base 2013 SV with only floor mats added....So, what do you think I should end up paying with everything added??? Our state tax in MD is 6% but the good thing is one is taxed after subtracting the trade....

Since I live in MD, the hybrid heater, the new regen B mode and 6.6 kW fast charger (not L3) is appealing me... We do not have any incentives in MD.....

Look forward to hear your thoughts

Mukarram

Back